Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:59 am
glg

Originally Posted by italdesign
Thanks. Landed in C instead, walked 5 minutes to B and another 5 to F. Not bad.
From C there's a bus option as well from C9 to E3 (IIRC), but it's too late for you to find that out.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:39 am

My family and I will be taking a bus to O'Hare. Due to road construction it will only drop off at the Bus/Shuttle Center and not an individual terminal. How do we get from the Bus/Shuttle Center to T-1? How long of a walk? Have an 8 year old and lots of luggage. Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:37 am

For all you GE folks (including myself) plans are to use the center exit from the Customs hall for GE. There will be specific signage placed for those to use.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by ords
For all you GE folks (including myself) plans are to use the center exit from the Customs hall for GE. There will be specific signage placed for those to use.
Fantastic news! Any idea on timing for implementation?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Fantastic news! Any idea on timing for implementation?
CBP and the City are working on getting signage up but from the sound of it at yesterdays meeting within 30 days.

Also, there will be an upgraded to APC kiosks which will make it more user friendly, and eventually travelers with B1 and B2 Visas will be able to use them. This project will be implemented in phases over the next 60 days.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by ords
CBP and the City are working on getting signage up but from the sound of it at yesterdays meeting within 30 days.

Also, there will be an upgraded to APC kiosks which will make it more user friendly, and eventually travelers with B1 and B2 Visas will be able to use them. This project will be implemented in phases over the next 60 days.
I'll be going through there in about 6 weeks so this is very welcome news. The less time spent in line waiting for CBP is more time I get to spend in the city at the aquarium.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:28 pm
glg

Originally Posted by HuntDead
My family and I will be taking a bus to O'Hare. Due to road construction it will only drop off at the Bus/Shuttle Center and not an individual terminal. How do we get from the Bus/Shuttle Center to T-1? How long of a walk? Have an 8 year old and lots of luggage. Thanks!
If you look at a map of the terminal complex, the Bus/Shuttle center is on the ground floor of the main parking garage in the middle of the 3 terminals. 2 options to get to T1

1. Walk along the sidewalk outside to T1 on ground level, there is a pedestrian crossing that will get you across the arrivals roads to the arrivals level, go up to departures.
2. Go inside the Bus/Shuttle Center, take the elevator down one level to the basement, follow signs to T1. There are moving walkways for part of it, takes you under the arrivals road. When you get over to T1, go up 2 levels to departures.

The downside of 1 is that there is no traffic signal, and sometimes the traffic doesn't do a good job of stopping for peds. I've done it myself, but I don't think I'd do it with my 7 year old and lots of luggage. I'd recommend 2.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by glg
If you look at a map of the terminal complex, the Bus/Shuttle center is on the ground floor of the main parking garage in the middle of the 3 terminals. 2 options to get to T1

1. Walk along the sidewalk outside to T1 on ground level, there is a pedestrian crossing that will get you across the arrivals roads to the arrivals level, go up to departures.
2. Go inside the Bus/Shuttle Center, take the elevator down one level to the basement, follow signs to T1. There are moving walkways for part of it, takes you under the arrivals road. When you get over to T1, go up 2 levels to departures.

The downside of 1 is that there is no traffic signal, and sometimes the traffic doesn't do a good job of stopping for peds. I've done it myself, but I don't think I'd do it with my 7 year old and lots of luggage. I'd recommend 2.
Thank you!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by glg
At peak times there are crossing guards that help manage traffic. At non-peak times I don't think traffic is an issue (done it many times with kids and luggage), but it depends on your comfort level. Option 2 is longer, but also quite manageable.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:48 pm
glg

Originally Posted by legalalien
At peak times there are crossing guards that help manage traffic. At non-peak times I don't think traffic is an issue (done it many times with kids and luggage), but it depends on your comfort level. Option 2 is longer, but also quite manageable.
I should have thrown out a disclaimer that I haven't done this recently. Usually when I'd do that is picking someone up, if I'm parking for a trip, I'm probably using lot E/ATS. When picking up someone that needs luggage help, I'll park on level 1 of the garage (use hourly parking, not valet) and cross the arrivals road, but thinking about it, it's probably been at least a year since I've done that.

So, I'll amend to say, walk over by the road, if the traffic looks too hairy for you, just walk into the parking garage and find the elevators (don't have to go back to Bus/Shuttle).
Old Nov 6, 2015, 4:15 am

ORD Customs & Connection Time?

Hello,

I"d be arriving at ORD with Lufthansa (Business Class) shortly after 1:00pm and need to connect to Denver with United (First Class).
Two separate tickets and a checked bag.
Is two hours enough to clear immigration/customs, check in with United, change terminals....?

Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT
What passport do you hold? United has a check-in counter right after customs, so that part will be easy, but 1PM is rush hour through immigration. 2 hours is doable, but it will be tight if you're not a US or Canadian citizen or eligible for a visa waiver.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are not connecting because you are on separate tickets. I would never book a transfer between tickets which includes CBP at 2 hours. If you miss your onward flight, your ticket will be cancelled and, if it is non-refundable, you will have a mess on your hands getting it reinstated.

With later flights at 4:01, 5:37 and 7:05 PM, I would book at least the 4:01.

Last edited by Often1; Nov 7, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
You might ask for a wheel chair,

I have seen the magical cure happen many times, give the pusher a $20.00.

I did it once, I am 75, and my wife ordered it., I had no choice.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:27 pm

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it.
I am a US citizen.
The wheelchair idea made me laugh, but I think I'll pass on that. I'm in pretty good shape and probably faster than the wheelchair pusher
I may just book a later flight and avoid the stress and inconvenience of potentially missing my flight. Another hour or two doesn't make much difference after all.
Thank you Often1 for mentioning the difference between connecting and transferring. (I have dual citizenship, but am not a native english speaker)

Last edited by Minnie777; Nov 6, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.