Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Angry

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Well, I'm booked on 186 "direct" so I'm safe (ish) with the longer connection, which I think would be tight at 2 hours without GE and preckeck. I fly the 22nd, so I'll report back how it goes.
If I successfully move up to an earlier outbound (got the "direct" outbound too ) then I'll make golf for the year by a margin of about 300 miles. If move up fails, this is my last shot. I suppose if security was terrible I could miss my tight scheduled >2 hour connection and end up on the next flight
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Have they added GE kiosks recently? I thought they added APC kiosks after it opened, but GE was still separate near the center of the immigration hall. Also, unless they expanded the hours, the service was only available during the rush hours between lunch and dinner last I saw.
Yes, there is a couple of GE kiosks right outside of the entrance to the carry-on-only area. Hours are definitely limited, so it's possible that 9am arrival is too early for this to be available.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:01 am

Will I make this connection? What to do if I miss it?

Sorry I am new to this forums, please easy on me. I have a question need help.
I am coming back from HKG to YYZ on Feb 17. The flight is UA from HKG to ORD and I only have 1hr and 34 mins for transit. And my connection flight from ORD to YYZ is AC. What will I do if the UA flight is delayed and I miss the AC connection flight in ORD. Should I go to AC counter for the next available flight or I go to UA counter for the next available flight?
1 hr and 34 mins for transit in ORD, is it a bit tight? I land on Terminal 5 and leave on Terminal 2 for AC flight back to YYZ. Do I need to go through the USA custom and pick up my checked luggage and go to AC counter to drop it off to the belt? After that I need to take the tram to Terminal 2.
Please help and Thanks.

Last edited by domchiu; Jan 23, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by domchiu
Sorry I am new to this forums, please easy on me. I have a question need help.
I am coming back from HKG to YYZ on Feb 17. The flight is UA from HKG to ORD and I only have 1hr and 34 mins for transit. And my connection flight from ORD to YYZ is AC. What will I do if the UA flight is delayed and I miss the AC connection flight in ORD. Should I go to AC counter for the next available flight or I go to UA counter for the next available flight?
1 hr and 34 mins for transit in ORD, is it a bit tight? I land on Terminal 5 and leave on Terminal 2 for AC flight back to YYZ. Do I need to go through the USA custom and pick up my checked luggage and go to AC counter to drop it off to the belt? After that I need to take the tram to Terminal 2.
Please help and Thanks.
That is a tight connection but not impossible. As long as both flights are part of one reservation, AC will accommodate you on the next available flight should you miss the connection.

Yes, you will go through US customs and immigration in T5 and then hand over your luggage to AC immediately after.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Welcome to Flyertalk, domchiu. Assuming the UA flight is on time and they don't botch the handling of your bag(s), you'll have enough time.

Agree with Jim that if you misconnect, go straight to AC.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is actually the responsibility of the late delivering carrier to reroute the OP should the UA flight be delayed. Presuming that this is all on one ticket HKG-YYZ, UA will reticket and retag the bag.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Often1
It is actually the responsibility of the late delivering carrier to reroute the OP should the UA flight be delayed. Presuming that this is all on one ticket HKG-YYZ, UA will reticket and retag the bag.
I booked my ticket through airtickets.com and they gave me the UA ticket number and confirmation number. The flights from YYZ to ORD to HKG are all UA on Feb 3. OnFeb 17 HKG to ORD is UA, from ORD to YYZ is AC. Do I assum airtickets.com booked throught UA? so if I miss the connection flight at ORD on Feb 17 due to flight delay or custom clear dealy, I will go to UA ask for next available flight NOT AC? Please advise and Thanks.

Last edited by domchiu; Jan 28, 2015 at 7:15 am
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Well, I'm booked on 186 "direct" so I'm safe (ish) with the longer connection, which I think would be tight at 2 hours without GE and preckeck. I fly the 22nd, so I'll report back how it goes.
Just reporting back. I made my 2 ish hour connection comfortably. I missed making the earlier connection by about 15 minutes, so you'd need a tailwind which we didnt have.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by domchiu
I booked my ticket through airtickets.com and they gave me the UA ticket number and confirmation number. The flights from YYZ to ORD to HKG are all UA on Feb 3. OnFeb 17 HKG to ORD is UA, from ORD to YYZ is AC. Do I assum airtickets.com booked throught UA? so if I miss the connection flight at ORD on Feb 17 due to flight delay or custom clear dealy, I will go to UA ask for next available flight NOT AC? Please advise and Thanks.
Should you miss the connection, I would go to AC first since they are the ones who would have your bag anyway. If they don't accommodate you right away (I truly think they would) then you can talk to UA about getting the next flight to YYZ. They're on the same concourse so proximity doesn't matter.

Stuff like this happens all the time and the airlines aren't in the business of just stranding passengers mid-trip.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
International connection time concern at ORD?

Hello everyone,

I'm a fairly experienced traveler, but recently came across a tight connection situation and have not connected through ORD in a long time. I am catching an American Airlines flight into ORD, then connecting on to JAL in F to NRT. When I originally booked, I had about a 3.5 hour layover, plenty of time to allow for any delays.

A few months later, that flight time was moved forward, leaving me with only about 1.5 hours to connect. A few weeks ago, the time for that flight was moved even further forward, leaving me with 1 hour and 10 minutes between my flights. My biggest fear is that if the American flight is late or delayed, I will miss my JAL flight and they will put me on the AA flight that leaves an hour later. I think most people on this forum would agree that AA F is not a desirable substitute for JAL F. The connecting AA flight is the first flight of the day, so it's not possible to catch an earlier flight.

If in my position, would others here be concerned with this scenario? If so, are there any recommendations for proactively mitigating risk here? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Since airport questions are generally handled in the related destination forums, this post will likely do better here in the dedicated Chicago forum.

Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:03 pm

I'm facing a similar situation for a trip in November. I decided to book the trip so I fly into Chicago the day before flying to Cancun. It worked out well because flying in the day before was cheaper than the original itinerary I had put together and with the hotel and such will work out to be +/- 20 bucks of the original price which is worth it to me because I'm going there to be in a good friend's wedding and missing my connection would not be good.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by cascade
If in my position, would others here be concerned with this scenario? If so, are there any recommendations for proactively mitigating risk here? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Yes I would be concerned and look into the following 3 possibilities:

(1) Reach ORD the previous day. (Overnight at ORD)
(2) Alternatively, reschedule JAL for the next day. (Overnight at ORD)
(3) Reroute the trip via a different airport (LAX,DFW,SAN, etc) so that you'd have at least 2 and perhaps 3 hours to connect.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
oneworld Global Support

Connecting between airlines at unfamiliar airports can be a stressful experience, especially if your flight is delayed. American Airlines recognizes the impact delays and missed connections can have on your plans and on your life. That is why we partnered with the other oneworld member airlines to form teams of connection experts: oneworld Global Support.

At select airports across the alliance network, teams are proactively monitoring connecting flights and, whenever possible, they will meet and assist you if your connection is in jeopardy. The oneworld Global Support teams will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security to help you catch your next flight. Our teams will also do everything possible to transfer your baggage so that it makes it on time to your final destination.

If you miss your connecting flight, the oneworld Global Support team will provide you with updated travel information, a new boarding pass and, where applicable, assistance with overnight accommodations.

oneworld Global Support is currently available at London Heathrow, Madrid-Barajas, New York JFK, Miami, Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago O'Hare, Los Angeles and Sydney. The service is offered at these airports whenever possible, subject to operational constraints.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
RE OW Global Support: Yeah sure, as OP himself realizes, they will most likely put him in the much inferior AA flight an hour later. He wants to fly JAL F.

Last edited by aktchi; Apr 11, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.