Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I am also in good shape, but the wheel chair pushers have their own line, and a few back doors they have access to, and they seem to know all the gate keepers..

It was great, fast, and $20 well spent, for this 75 year old,

Have a great trip..and a safe flight..
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:08 pm
glg

Originally Posted by Often1
If you miss your onward flight, your ticket will be cancelled and, if it is non-refundable, you will have a mess on your hands getting it reinstated.
Why would it be a mess? While I agree it makes more sense to book the next flight at 4pm so OP has 3 hours and can relax through the transfer instead of being anxious, it's a pretty simple "flat tire rule" case if she misses the booked flight at 3pm and unless it's a busy day with all flights ORD-DEN booked (date isn't stated so we don't know), she'd be able to standby on a later flight.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by glg
Why would it be a mess? While I agree it makes more sense to book the next flight at 4pm so OP has 3 hours and can relax through the transfer instead of being anxious, it's a pretty simple "flat tire rule" case if she misses the booked flight at 3pm and unless it's a busy day with all flights ORD-DEN booked (date isn't stated so we don't know), she'd be able to standby on a later flight.
Is it a 'flat tire rule' if she's interlining on LH/UA (at least from the baggage perspective shows it's not flat tire)? If she misses the first flight the return flight would be canceled, so that may be what was meant by making it a mess. The part I don't understand is if she's traveling LHJ/UAF why do two separate tickets & not just book on one PNR? That simplifies things.

Re: the specific question of is 2 hours enough time? It's cutting it really close. Anything goes wrong (ie, flight delayed, lengthy time at CBP, long TSA line) she'd probably end up missing the ongoing flight. I wouldn't do it.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:45 pm
glg

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Is it a 'flat tire rule' if she's interlining on LH/UA (at least from the baggage perspective shows it's not flat tire)?
It's just called the "flat tire" rule, one doesn't actually have to have had a flat tire. It's a general rule that allows you to fly standby on a later flight if you arrive too late for your scheduled flight.

If she misses the first flight the return flight would be canceled, so that may be what was meant by making it a mess.
AFAIK, most US based airlines won't cancel until the end of that day (WN might be an exception?)

The part I don't understand is if she's traveling LHJ/UAF why do two separate tickets & not just book on one PNR? That simplifies things.
Sometimes it's significantly cheaper to book a US domestic flight separate from an international flight.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: UAL Silver Hilton Diamond Hyatt Plat
Connection time ok? In ORD

I'll be arriving from overseas on a Saturday in September on United around noon from Dublin. I have a connection time of 1hr50min for my domestic flight to Houston. I have global entry, first time using it. That seemed to really speed people along in Houston, will it make this connection time doable? Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
You should be fine, especially if you don't have a checked bag. I have made it from aircraft door open to kerb in less than 20 min. but a checked bag could add up to another 20. T5 kerb to T1 gate can be done in another 20 min. if the TSA is running smoothly. Without a checked bag there is a One-Stop door as you head to Immigration which cuts out baggage claim and the separate customs line.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:42 pm
glg

Wouldn't a flight from DUB have pre-clearance and arrive into T1? If so, 1h50 for what effectively becomes a domestic connection is easily fine.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by glg
Wouldn't a flight from DUB have pre-clearance and arrive into T1? If so, 1h50 for what effectively becomes a domestic connection is easily fine.
I had missed the DUB origin but it does look as if pre-clearance is available for all US bound flights so the connection should be no problem unless the flight is delayed by more than an hour.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: UAL Silver Hilton Diamond Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by MADPhil
You should be fine, especially if you don't have a checked bag. I have made it from aircraft door open to kerb in less than 20 min. but a checked bag could add up to another 20. T5 kerb to T1 gate can be done in another 20 min. if the TSA is running smoothly. Without a checked bag there is a One-Stop door as you head to Immigration which cuts out baggage claim and the separate customs line.
Does ORD also have a separate customs line for Global Entry? Or was what I saw in Houston a quick line for those without checked baggage? Eekkk! The customs line in Houston was horrendous.

Sorry I'm a bit confused, and a bit of a Newbie coming in from Dublin, it may be at terminal 1? Hat would be awesome.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MTJTraveller
Does ORD also have a separate customs line for Global Entry? Or was what I saw in Houston a quick line for those without checked baggage? Eekkk! The customs line in Houston was horrendous.
It won't matter. You'll go through US Immigration and Customs in Dublin, not ORD. When you land in ORD, you'll be able to proceed directly to your connecting flight.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Does ORD also have a separate customs line for Global Entry?
There is a separate entry for those without checked bags, though it isn't always open. However, as others had mentioned, it doesn't matter to you. I believe your flight will arrive in Terminal 5, same as other international flights, though you won't have to go through CBP or customs. You will, however, need to change to a domestic terminal and go through security once you get there. With Global Entry, chances are you will have TSA Pre, and will be able to make it easily with a 1hr 50min connection.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE

Sorry I'm a bit confused, and a bit of a Newbie coming in from Dublin, it may be at terminal 1? Hat would be awesome.
DUB is a CBP preclearance site.

http://www.cbp.gov/border-security/p...s/preclearance

That means you will clear US Immigration and Customs before you depart DUB. Your arrival at any US airport from any of the preclearance sites is effectively a domestic arrival. It looks like there are GE kiosks at DUB so your GE will help you at your departure.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-tr...ntry/locations
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:32 pm

I'm flying oz departing from terminal 5...I have access to united lounges which seem to be only in terminal 1-3. Can I get into those terminals with an international ticket?

Thanks
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by bradyquinn
I'm flying oz departing from terminal 5...I have access to united lounges which seem to be only in terminal 1-3. Can I get into those terminals with an international ticket?

Thanks
There is no airside connection between T1-T2-T3 and T5. Unless you are connecting at ORD, I don't think your international boarding pass will get you in at ant of the terminals except T5.

There are *A business class lounges in T5 (LX and SK). OZ used to have a contract relationship for a lounge in T5, but my last experience with that was over 3 years ago.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bradyquinn

Thanks
No access to T1-3 AFAIK.

In T5, OZ's official partner lounge is SK, which is adequate. If you're *Alliance Gold, you'll also have access to the SwissPort Lounge and the Lounge used by TK, LO (and possibly others) as well.

It looks like Business class on OZ will get you into the SK lounge.

If you're in coach and not Gold and instead have United Club access, i think you're out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.