Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by flyernick
Arriving at the ORD International terminal the other day, we had no checked bags, so followed the signs directing us (those with no checked bags) to stay to the right. There's a nice little passport booth before all the others. We had to wait behind one pair of people for like 45 seconds, then advanced to the passport agent, answer a couple questions, and we're done! Wow!
In theory, it should be fast, but my fiance got in the One-Stop line today behind 40 members of various airline crews, with only one Immigration officer working, plus many wheelchair passengers jumping the line. So just a bit of forewarning: If there's a long line, this may not be the fastest option!
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
O'hare Connection time from Terminal 2 to Terminal 5

I have a connection from Terminal 2 to Terminal 5 at O'hare. I have 3 hours in between connections. I arrive at Terminal 2 in O'hare at around 9:30 pm. I'm assuming this is more than enough time to make the connection but just want to make sure given the delays at O'hare.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sunzi
I have a connection from Terminal 2 to Terminal 5 at O'hare. I have 3 hours in between connections. I arrive at Terminal 2 in O'hare at around 9:30 pm. I'm assuming this is more than enough time to make the connection but just want to make sure given the delays at O'hare.
It should be plenty of time. You can get an idea of TSA delays by checking on: https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/wait_times_home.aspx. The problems tend to be in the other direction with CBP.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
In theory, it should be fast, but my fiance got in the One-Stop line today behind 40 members of various airline crews, with only one Immigration officer working, plus many wheelchair passengers jumping the line. So just a bit of forewarning: If there's a long line, this may not be the fastest option!
Saw the exact same thing today coming back from London. It also appeared that the wheelchair passengers were then coming into the baggage claim area to get their bags rather than exiting to the arrivals hall -- very odd.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:40 pm

O'hare T5 Fin Air tranfer to AA T3 + customs

We're considering a flight from Helsinki to LAX that changes in ORD. We'd have to go thru customs and change terminals in 1.5 hours. Is this feasible? Our travel agent says they could rebook us on a flight 2 hours later if we miss the connection. We are traveling Business class ad the price is right. Thoughts?
We do have Global Entry.

Last edited by LA1wing; Oct 25, 2016 at 3:42 pm Reason: Global entry
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by LA1wing
We're considering a flight from Helsinki to LAX that changes in ORD. We'd have to go thru customs and change terminals in 1.5 hours. Is this feasible? Our travel agent says they could rebook us on a flight 2 hours later if we miss the connection. We are traveling Business class ad the price is right. Thoughts?
We do have Global Entry.
Are you checking bags? 1.5 hours is enough with GE and a carry-on, assuming an on-time arrival.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:58 pm

Is there any plan to rebuild T5, or make it nice - ala TBIT? It seems a bit drab.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA
80 min UL connection; crazy?

Hi all, I booked an award ticket back from Scotland that includes an 80 min connection at ORD.

Specifically: FLIGHT INFORMATIONDay, DateFlightClassDeparture City and TimeArrival City and TimeAircraftMealUA119XNEDINBURGH, SCOTLAND
(EDI) 12:15 PMCHICAGO, IL
(ORD - O'HARE) 2:30 PM757-200LunchUA1836XNCHICAGO, IL
(ORD - O'HARE) 3:50 PMPORTLAND, OR
(PDX) 6:10 PM

Are we crazy to try this? Even with GE? What's most likely to happen if we don't make the connection?

thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by tadc
Hi all, I booked an award ticket back from Scotland that includes an 80 min connection at ORD.

Specifically: FLIGHT INFORMATIONDay, DateFlightClassDeparture City and TimeArrival City and TimeAircraftMealUA119XNEDINBURGH, SCOTLAND
(EDI) 12:15 PMCHICAGO, IL
(ORD - O'HARE) 2:30 PM757-200LunchUA1836XNCHICAGO, IL
(ORD - O'HARE) 3:50 PMPORTLAND, OR
(PDX) 6:10 PM

Are we crazy to try this? Even with GE? What's most likely to happen if we don't make the connection?

thanks!
MCT for that itinerary is 75 minutes. Can't say if that's smart or not, however. Just saving others from looking it up.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by tadc
It's quite doable if all goes according to plan but a late incoming flight, slow baggage claim, or a long delay at security could throw it off. I have made it from aircraft door to land side in 20 minutes and you can get to air side in T1-3 in 20 minutes from there. That doesn't leave a lot for delays. I assume that you would get rebooked on the next available flight if you miss.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Crazy to me that UA would sell this itin with a 75 minute MCT. That said, it is doable, with two later flights to back you up on if anything goes wrong, so I wouldn't be especially worried about it.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: continental one pass,BA exwcutive club
I've been looking at this thread trying to work out if I should book a particular flight.. (BA) London Heathrow to ORD arriving ORD 18.40 then departing( AA Codeshare) ORD to IAH 20.10. I would have to go through immigration, baggage claim, customs, re check bag , change terminal from T5 to T3 and security all within 90 mins. Its a designated connection so must be doable but I've never flown through ORD so wont even have familiarity on my side. The real issue is that the 20.10 is the last flight of the night to my destination..anyone have experience of a similar situation at ORD?..any thoughts appreciated
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by kath1
I've been looking at this thread trying to work out if I should book a particular flight.. (BA) London Heathrow to ORD arriving ORD 18.40 then departing( AA Codeshare) ORD to IAH 20.10. I would have to go through immigration, baggage claim, customs, re check bag , change terminal from T5 to T3 and security all within 90 mins. Its a designated connection so must be doable but I've never flown through ORD so wont even have familiarity on my side. The real issue is that the 20.10 is the last flight of the night to my destination..anyone have experience of a similar situation at ORD?..any thoughts appreciated
If you don't have GE or Pre-Check and do have a checked bag it is likely to be very tight at best and a late arrival would mean failure. So with favourable winds and a lot of luck you might be OK, otherwise you should expect a night at O'Hare.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by mtkeller
MCT for that itinerary is 75 minutes. Can't say if that's smart or not, however. Just saving others from looking it up.
Originally Posted by MADPhil
It's quite doable if all goes according to plan but a late incoming flight, slow baggage claim, or a long delay at security could throw it off. I have made it from aircraft door to land side in 20 minutes and you can get to air side in T1-3 in 20 minutes from there. That doesn't leave a lot for delays. I assume that you would get rebooked on the next available flight if you miss.
Thanks for the replies. We also plan to not check bags, so I assume that will help.
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Crazy to me that UA would sell this itin with a 75 minute MCT. That said, it is doable, with two later flights to back you up on if anything goes wrong, so I wouldn't be especially worried about it.
Thanks for the info. Regarding whether it's crazy... isn't the MCT literally the cutoff for whether they will or won't sell the connection? Or is there more to it?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: continental one pass,BA exwcutive club
Originally Posted by MADPhil
If you don't have GE or Pre-Check and do have a checked bag it is likely to be very tight at best and a late arrival would mean failure. So with favourable winds and a lot of luck you might be OK, otherwise you should expect a night at O'Hare.
Thank you MADPhil..seems crazy to even consider it..but I may have no other option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.