Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Do any gates at T5 have dual jet bridges for loading J and Y simultaneously?
The vast majority of international departures are from T1 and T3, not T5. Modifying T5 for A380 access probably only would be meaningful for BA but they have two flights to LHR already. Would shifting to one departure on an A380 be of benefit to anyone? Maybe this is why the A380 is a dying aircraft.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The vast majority of international departures are from T1 and T3, not T5. Modifying T5 for A380 access probably only would be meaningful for BA but they have two flights to LHR already. Would shifting to one departure on an A380 be of benefit to anyone? Maybe this is why the A380 is a dying aircraft.
Not worried about A380 personally

I am flying EVA 777-300ER, which is definitely T5. In Singapore and HKG for the United 777 they use 2 jet bridges. That planes loads friggin fast.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Not worried about A380 personally

I am flying EVA 777-300ER, which is definitely T5. In Singapore and HKG for the United 777 they use 2 jet bridges. That planes loads friggin fast.
+1

UA uses dual jet bridges on several gates in T1. They also board pretty quickly. Even on a UA or BA 772, there can be something like 260 passengers.

The EVA 773 seats 353 passengers. The UA 744 seats 377. Almost identical. A dual jet bridge would speed thing up a lot.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
T3 to T5 Connection Time with Checked Bag Pickup

Hi there ORD Peeps,

Connecting to a BA flight from an AA flight on separate PNR's so I know I can't check bags thru - I have to pick up bags in T3 then recheck in T5. My layover is 3 hours 15 min.

Do I have to worry about time? Flying First on AA and then BA - not sure if that makes any difference? Is the priority security line at T5 any better than the economy line? At LAX sometimes Priority is worse? I bought the AA 5Star Service just to make things easier - not sure if that was a waste of money but heck I'm on vacation!

Then, great to hear about Westfield - sounds like we're better off just eating at the Food court than sitting in the BA F lounge a I see it has been getting woeful reviews?

Any helps or tips appreciated!!

Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:08 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
CX uses both jetways at M11. After 1-6 pax use it they close door 1L.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
Hi there ORD Peeps,

Connecting to a BA flight from an AA flight on separate PNR's so I know I can't check bags thru - I have to pick up bags in T3 then recheck in T5. My layover is 3 hours 15 min.

Do I have to worry about time? Flying First on AA and then BA - not sure if that makes any difference? Is the priority security line at T5 any better than the economy line? At LAX sometimes Priority is worse? I bought the AA 5Star Service just to make things easier - not sure if that was a waste of money but heck I'm on vacation!

Then, great to hear about Westfield - sounds like we're better off just eating at the Food court than sitting in the BA F lounge a I see it has been getting woeful reviews?

Thanks!
3h15m is plenty of time. Assuming a 15 minute walk to baggage claim, a half hour to get your bags, 15 minutes to get to T5, a half hour to check your bags, and a half hour to get through security (all of which are well-padded assumptions), you've still got over an hour to figure out if the BA F lounge is worth your while.

No idea if AA FSS will help you get to T5, though.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:30 am

Hi there ORD Peeps,

Thanks!
I wouldn't give up on having your bags checked through on to the BA flight. If you can get the two reservations linked in AA's system, it's quite possible they can check them through to your final destination. Best to handle that over the phone ahead of time instead of waiting until you check in for your first flight.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Hi there ORD Peeps,

Thanks!
You may want to check out the ORD F dining (in the main lounge)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-f-ord.html
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm connecting from BA to AA in ORD; arriving LHR-ORD T5 at 13.25, departing AA to HSV in T3 at 15:10. I have GE. I've requested mobility assistance due to difficulty walking long distances, so I assume I will be met at the gate in T5. Will 1:45 be enough time to go through immigration / customs and make this connection?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by tadc
Hi all, I booked an award ticket back from Scotland that includes an 80 min connection at ORD.

Specifically: FLIGHT INFORMATIONDay, DateFlightClassDeparture City and TimeArrival City and TimeAircraftMealUA119XNEDINBURGH, SCOTLAND
(EDI) 12:15 PMCHICAGO, IL
(ORD - O'HARE) 2:30 PM757-200LunchUA1836XNCHICAGO, IL
(ORD - O'HARE) 3:50 PMPORTLAND, OR
(PDX) 6:10 PM

Are we crazy to try this? Even with GE? What's most likely to happen if we don't make the connection?
For posterity... we ended up checking bags after all, and wasted some time there, plus finding the GE line, *then* got selected for extra screening, and then ended up doing an OJ Simpson sprint through the terminal and got to the flight a few minutes after the supposed end of boarding, but we (barely) made it. Fortunately our gate was the first one on the left, or we would probably have been screwed.

0/10, would not recommend.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:58 am

For posterity... we ended up checking bags after all, and wasted some time there, plus finding the GE line, *then* got selected for extra screening, and then ended up doing an OJ Simpson sprint through the terminal and got to the flight a few minutes after the supposed end of boarding, but we (barely) made it. Fortunately our gate was the first one on the left, or we would probably have been screwed.

0/10, would not recommend.
Did your bags make it on the same flight to PDX?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:18 pm

Did your bags make it on the same flight to PDX?
They did. In fact, part of the process included us picking up our bags from one belt, carrying them through a doorway, and putting them on another belt. I'm sure there's a "good" reason for that seemingly pointless procedure that someone could explain to me.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:42 pm

They did. In fact, part of the process included us picking up our bags from one belt, carrying them through a doorway, and putting them on another belt. I'm sure there's a "good" reason for that seemingly pointless procedure that someone could explain to me.
I think you're referring to bringing your bags through customs. Carrying them through the door is the process by which you're formally bringing your possessions into the USA. Right before you exit the door, an agent has the right to inspect any of them. You might remember giving them your entry card as you passed by.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:12 pm

I think you're referring to bringing your bags through customs. Carrying them through the door is the process by which you're formally bringing your possessions into the USA. Right before you exit the door, an agent has the right to inspect any of them. You might remember giving them your entry card as you passed by.
Except there's no card w/GE, so it's literally just picking up your bags, walking through a door and re-depositing them. I guess there was probably someone standing nearby who could have accosted me, but that's true anywhere in the airport.

I see what your saying but it still seems a bit silly.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Except there's no card w/GE, so it's literally just picking up your bags, walking through a door and re-depositing them. I guess there was probably someone standing nearby who could have accosted me, but that's true anywhere in the airport.

I see what your saying but it still seems a bit silly.
The ticket that you get from the GE machine is the equivalent of the card. I got randomly pulled aside (no X) during my last entry through T5 with GE and had every bag thoroughly checked, so while it doesn't happen often, it's not an impossibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.