Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:25 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the return flight QR Departs from Terminal 3 (L Gates). Terminal 1, 2, and 3 are all connected behind security. When arriving on UA from PDX, the OP should remain airside and follow the signs to T3. UA will tag the luggage through to DOH.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
No QR/UAinterline anymore

Thank you all soo much! I forgot to include the most important part of my query: Qatar and United no longer interline, and the bags will therefore only be tagged from DOH to ORD (QR), so I have to collect them in T5 and do the check-in with UA in T1 . On the way back, UA will only tag PDX to ORD, and I will have to schlepp the bags from T1 to T3.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by OnePassenger
Qatar and United no longer interline, and the bags will therefore only be tagged from DOH to ORD (QR), so I have to collect them in T5 and do the check-in with UA in T1 . On the way back, UA will only tag PDX to ORD, and I will have to schlepp the bags from T1 to T3.
When you come in: Interline stuff doesn't matter. You can check in at T5 itself. Whether your bags are checked through or not, you pick them up at T5, clear customs, and then check in with the UA counter within T5, before leaving the secure area. It is immediately after the customs, very hard to miss, but if you happen to see people waiting to receive arriving pax, then you have gone too far and should turn right back. They'll print new tags for your bags and, if necessary, BPs for you.

After this, find your way to the free Airport Transit System train and go to T1. You'll need to clear security again, so allow plenty of time for that, not that there is much to distract you at ORD terminals.

When you return: If UA won't interline, you'll have to take your luggage to T3. My own preference would be to walk the long walk with a luggage cart. However, there is also the airport train if you would prefer---you'll need to change floors 4 times, remember to look for elevators. (Thanks to HNL for reminding me that QR leaves from T3, a detail I had missed though it is mentioned in the OP.)

Last edited by aktchi; Jul 2, 2013 at 10:11 am
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:49 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi
When you return: Well, you arrive in T1 and QR doesn't have a desk there. So if UA won't interline, you'll have to take your luggage to T5. My sympathies! Use the same train and do your best. If the bags are truly unmanageable, inquire about a porter helping you. (I have never faced the situation and don't know if such facility is available or how it works. At worst, offer some extra money to a cab to drive you from T1 arrivals to T5 departures!)
QR Flights depart from Terminal 3 on the L Concourse.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:32 pm

I'm off work but the emails back report the words, 'Amazing', 'wonderful' and 'outstanding' are being used. Working as intended is another one but given over $1.2mm spent on this program it better be.

Sorry I can't give you more until I get back in and see it first hand unless another has used it already.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat for Life, ex BD Gld (RIP)
Record ORD International - Domestic Connection Time?

This is really just a 'how I did it' post because I still can't believe that I did manage it. My experience might be useful to others as well.

Arrived on AB from TXL just over two hours late on Wednesday. The delay meant that when we touched down (rubber on concrete) I had 31 minutes until my connection on AA to DEN was scheduled to depart. No way.

Straight to gate, jetbridge arrived in under 5 minutes. Second off plane where OneWorld agent was waiting. Handed the bright orange Express Connection wallet; just took a couple of seconds to look and see that I had been rebooked on a American Eagle flight a couple of hours later - but decided to have a go.

Quick walk (run!) to immigration where I discovered the new combined immigration and customs desk for pax with only hand baggage. Both desks had a pax at them and only one person queuing. Politely asked if I could jump in front of him - affirmative. A bit of an interrogation but through immigration in a few minutes.

Out to landside, up stairs and a one minute walk for the train to T3. Bright orange wallet saw me right to t he front of the security line. Quick processing here and then run all the way to K4. Arrived at the gate area out of breath, no passengers visible, handed over BP and so relieved to hear agent say "Here's that First Class passenger", scan BP and onto plane. (I was worried at this point that I would get to gate before flight departed only to find that my seat had been given away).

On board, sat down and time for a can of Heineken before take off.

So: 26 minutes from wheels on tarmac, through immigration, change terminals, clear TSA, get to gate, stow bags and sit down. Phew!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by superscot
This is really just a 'how I did it' post because I still can't believe that I did manage it. My experience might be useful to others as well.

Arrived on AB from TXL just over two hours late on Wednesday. The delay meant that when we touched down (rubber on concrete) I had 31 minutes until my connection on AA to DEN was scheduled to depart. No way.

Straight to gate, jetbridge arrived in under 5 minutes. Second off plane where OneWorld agent was waiting. Handed the bright orange Express Connection wallet; just took a couple of seconds to look and see that I had been rebooked on a American Eagle flight a couple of hours later - but decided to have a go.

Quick walk (run!) to immigration where I discovered the new combined immigration and customs desk for pax with only hand baggage. Both desks had a pax at them and only one person queuing. Politely asked if I could jump in front of him - affirmative. A bit of an interrogation but through immigration in a few minutes.

Out to landside, up stairs and a one minute walk for the train to T3. Bright orange wallet saw me right to t he front of the security line. Quick processing here and then run all the way to K4. Arrived at the gate area out of breath, no passengers visible, handed over BP and so relieved to hear agent say "Here's that First Class passenger", scan BP and onto plane. (I was worried at this point that I would get to gate before flight departed only to find that my seat had been given away).

On board, sat down and time for a can of Heineken before take off.

So: 26 minutes from wheels on tarmac, through immigration, change terminals, clear TSA, get to gate, stow bags and sit down. Phew!
Congratulations on your achievement superscot!!

This may be a record for an International-Domestic connection at ORD. I don't think you could do that again, if you tried.

Last edited by cheltzel; Jul 3, 2013 at 2:47 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by superscot
Amazing, quite a few favorable coincidences lined up for you, so congratulations indeed!

To others: Please don't try this at home.

Last edited by aktchi; Jul 3, 2013 at 9:59 am
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:21 pm

A little update. For those interested in the APC, yes they are up and running during peak times.

Coming into either A or B side, there is Prospect Airport Staff to direct you into these lanes. They will also assist in showing you how to work the machine and the lines do move quickly as I observed today.

One thing you will notice, the Immigration officers looking at the passports once you get the printed receipt are not sitting, they are standing at a podium and the interaction is far more welcoming. GE still has to walk up to a booth.

While I wanted to take a picture to get you an idea how it runs, the PR and photo ops are currently planned for the 8th.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:16 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ords
A little update. For those interested in the APC, yes they are up and running during peak times.

Coming into either A or B side, there is Prospect Airport Staff to direct you into these lanes. They will also assist in showing you how to work the machine and the lines do move quickly as I observed today.

One thing you will notice, the Immigration officers looking at the passports once you get the printed receipt are not sitting, they are standing at a podium and the interaction is far more welcoming. GE still has to walk up to a booth.

While I wanted to take a picture to get you an idea how it runs, the PR and photo ops are currently planned for the 8th.
Thanks for the update. Does the the CBP officer who looks at the passport and receipt stamp the passport?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Thanks for the update. Does the the CBP officer who looks at the passport and receipt stamp the passport?
No, they stamped the APC machine generated receipt, which you then hand over to the Customs officer when you leave the area, just like you would hand over the blue Customs declaration form, but with the kiosks machines, the blue forms are no longer needed.

Last edited by cscube; Jul 6, 2013 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:31 pm

Connecting in ORD

Hi,
My best friend from USA is coming to Denmark the 1st of august. She is a first time flyer, and will make this trip by herself. To make things easier for her, I have a question.

This is how her travel plan looks, she will be arriving in ORD in terminal 2, and departing to Copenhagen with SAS.
July 31st:
Departure from DSM, with /MESA DBA UNITED EXPRESS at 7.14pm
Arrival in ORD at 8.30pm
Departure from ORD, with SAS at 10.05pm (1,5 hour between flights)

August 1st:
Arrival at CPH at 1.20pm (local time)

I have connected at ORD to OMA from Germany before, and I had to recheck my bag and go through security again, but will she have to recheck her bag and go through security, since she is arriving on a domestic flight?
On her flight confirmation, it says: check-in with SAS...?

Also, will 1,5 hours be enough for her, to make her way to terminal 5 from 2, check-in with SAS, recheck her bag and go through security?
/catolinaravn
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:19 pm

I've never connect in ORD, as that is where my travels start and finish. That being said, SAS is in a different terminal (T5) than her arrival. That will involve a tram ride (free), and she will have to go through security again upon her arrival in T5.

I am not sure if the bag will be checked through for her. I think this connection will be tight, if it is doable. Hopefully someone with transfer experience can tell you how long it will ultimately take. T5 security was painfully slow when I last went through it, but there has been a ton of remodeling over there since November.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:37 pm
glg

I'm assuming this is on a single ticket.

She will check in with United at DSM, they will tag her bag to CPH. She will not need to claim her bags at ORD. She needs to get from T2 (or T1, they change it sometimes, but it doesn't matter) to T5 via the ATS (the inter-terminal train, same way you got from T5 to T2). She can just follow the signs for T5, short version is to get to the ticketing level and look for the escalators going up over the departure roadway to the train.

Note that this transfer is landside (ie she will have to exit security and reclear in T5).
Old Jul 7, 2013, 8:38 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi
Amazing, quite a few favorable coincidences lined up for you, so congratulations indeed!

To others: Please don't try this at home.
Yes this was completed by a professional driver on a closed course! Well done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.