Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by legalalien
Better lighting and signage is good; the walk through those long, windowless hallways is depressing and not welcoming at all. Contrast that with YVR, for example.

Not sure how you get people to fill out I-94 before getting to the counter, but perhaps signs reminding them to do so - in the same 16 languages - as they walk through the hallways might help. Also, places to fill out forms as people are standing in line might help, too.
Good point and already being addressed. The hiring of additional staff to be wearing shirts and having signage on the walls with small work stations set up.

Basically, you won't be allowed in Q unless the forms are filled out.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by legalalien
Not sure how you get people to fill out I-94 before getting to the counter...
Easy. If they show up w/o the thing filled out, send them to the back of the line.

Discourages the unwanted behavior and saves the time of people who didn't sprint to get to the front.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Easy. If they show up w/o the thing filled out, send them to the back of the line.

Discourages the unwanted behavior and saves the time of people who didn't sprint to get to the front.
Let's see...what can go wrong with this strategy? Stories of some elderly woman being forced to stand in another 2-hour line? Toddlers screaming through another line? People going nuts, having to be restrained and sent back?

Can't wait.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

How about replacing the movable barrier that separates the corridor from the switchback portion of the line with a long counter with a stack of forms at near end and a bunch of those pens on chains, so people can fill out their forms while in line? Maybe do it there and between the switchback and where you queue up for the individual agents.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:40 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Anyone know if the Xsprespa has opened up yet? We have a four hour layover and my wife has expressed a desire to get a manicure and pedicure while we wait. Thanks.

FDW
Old Feb 9, 2013, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Anyone know if the Xsprespa has opened up yet? We have a four hour layover and my wife has expressed a desire to get a manicure and pedicure while we wait. Thanks.

FDW
Outside of Swatch, nothing has really opened up yet. With McDonalds as the only remaining food available on the departures side (Lou Mitchell's, Gold Coast and Pizzeria Uno all have closed) and the bar, it's going to be brutal for folks wanting a bite to eat.

Even the natives who work within the terminal are starting to sound restless about how bad this is.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:12 pm

Hi, I hope this is the right thread for my question.
I am flying to London from Mexico City in May with a connection flight in ORD. I wonder if 1 hr. 50 min. is enough time for me to make the second flight as I have to go through customs and immigration. The carrier for both flights is United. Do I have to change terminals? Which terminal handles international flights for United? I looked for a ORD map and I couldn't find anything.

The flight schedule is

United Airlines MEX 1:13 PM -- ORD 4:25
United Airlines ORD 6:20 PM -- LHR 8:45 (+1 day)

Thank you so much for any info. It is my first time flying through ORD, I usually use IAH.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Lorde
Hi, I hope this is the right thread for my question.
I am flying to London from Mexico City in May with a connection flight in ORD. I wonder if 1 hr. 50 min. is enough time for me to make the second flight as I have to go through customs and immigration. The carrier for both flights is United. Do I have to change terminals? Which terminal handles international flights for United? I looked for a ORD map and I couldn't find anything.

The flight schedule is

United Airlines MEX 1:13 PM -- ORD 4:25
United Airlines ORD 6:20 PM -- LHR 8:45 (+1 day)

Thank you so much for any info. It is my first time flying through ORD, I usually use IAH.
Welcome to FlyerTalk Lorde !!

As long as there are no mechanical or weather delays you should be fine.

Assuming you check your bags through to LHR, you will:
  1. Clear immigration
  2. Get your bags
  3. Clear customs (usually a non-event)
  4. Recheck your bags at the UA recheck counter immediately after leaving customs
  5. Take the ATS (tram) to Terminal 1
  6. Get your boarding pass (if you don't already have it).
  7. Clear security

I don't connect through ORD (I just get my ride home after clearing customs). You may be able to get your boarding pass when you recheck your bags.

Of the items in the list immigration can be the longest. One of the locals here ords has stats on typical immigration times. Hopefully he'll chime in with some hard data.

But as I said 1:50 should be plenty of time.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: United American Delta
My daughter booked a flight on PriceLine from STL-ORD-LAX for this Friday night. She arrives ORD on AA at 8:45pm T3 and needs to get to T1 for UA flight at 9:41pm. Is there any way to get from T3 to T1 without exiting security?

From what I've seen, there is a T2 to T1 airside bus before 9pm, but nothing from T3 to T1. So, I think she needs to wheel her carryon luggage outside, take the ATS rail from T3 to T1 and then get thru TSA screening again. 56 min is going to be pretty tight, considering she doesn't have status and is not sitting towards the front of the aircraft, plus T1 is pretty far from T3.

Unfortunately, she is on last flight out of St. Louis and also the last flight out of Chicago back to LA. Due to the late departure time, Priceline booked that combo. So, if she is late, then she will have to hang out at ORD overnight. I appreciate any suggestions.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by digitalbits6
Is there any way to get from T3 to T1 without exiting security?
Terminals 1, 2 & 3 at ORD are connected. She can just walk from T3 to T1 without having to exit the secured area. It's a 10 - 15 minutes walk.

So, I think she needs to wheel her carryon luggage outside, take the ATS rail from T3 to T1 and then get thru TSA screening again.
The ATS rail is outside the secured area. If she take the train, she'll have to clear security.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:40 am

Hi: We have about a 47min connection in Terminal 1 between Concourse B and Concourse C. Is this too risky or how much time can we expect it takes? We are flying in on United and leaving out on United flights.

Thank you for your advice.

Last edited by mjhanch; Mar 11, 2013 at 11:42 am Reason: forgot to add its United to United connection
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by mjhanch
Hi: We have about a 47min connection in Terminal 1 between Concourse B and Concourse C. Is this too risky or how much time can we expect it takes? We are flying in on United and leaving out on United flights.

Thank you for your advice.
It might take you 15 minutes to walk between the farthest points of B and C (e.g., B2 - C30) if you walk really, really slowly.

You should be fine with a 47-min connection, provided the inbound flight is not terribly late.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:07 pm

My flight into ORD is from Orlando (MCO). Is there stats on how often this flight arrives late at ORD?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: United American Delta
www.flightaware.com has good statistics on when the previous fights have arrived over the past few days. Gives an idea about traffic control and other flight congestion. Of course new TSA and Controller staffing might have an effect on current flights.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by mjhanch
My flight into ORD is from Orlando (MCO). Is there stats on how often this flight arrives late at ORD?
You can look up flight delay info on many tracking sites, including FlightAware (http://www.flightaware.com) and FlightStats (http://www.flightstats.com). Also, all booking sites including united.com show flight delay statistics during the booking process. Those numbers are, of course, only averages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.