Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:39 am

Tonight will be the first phase of moving the security checkpoint.

3 machines will be moved to the new area. This means the current checkpoint will only have 4 up and running on Tuesday.

Tuesday night the other 4 machines will be moved. A new temporary wall will be installed to block friends and family not traveling past the new landside bathrooms.

So...if you are or have friends or family leaving on an international trip from T5 tomorrow (June 25th), I'd advise them to allow additional time.

Wednesday morning all 7 machines and the reconfigured checkpoint open up and a new era begins.

There will be ATM's place on airside of the terminal and the currency exchange will be moving from it's current location next to the KLM counter to it's original location near M8/M9.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
What will be the new food/beverage situation landside? Any place to sit and visit people before seeing them off as we used to be able to do in the old configuration?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
What will be the new food/beverage situation landside? Any place to sit and visit people before seeing them off as we used to be able to do in the old configuration?
There are just the mobile carts landside on the departures level.

There is a plan for a full sit down restaurant to be built over the ATS platform landside within the next 6 months.

I'll post up some pictures in my album if anyone is interested.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:20 pm

Here's one..

This will be changing once more demo work is done.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
Qatar arriving ORD T5 and leaving ORD T1 (and back)- H E L P !!

Friends: My company got me on the daily Qatar Airways flight from Doha to O'Hare. Arriving at ORD's International Terminal 5. I have 3 hours to clear US Immigration and Customs and head to Terminal 1 to check in for my UA flight to PDX. H E L P!! How do I get my three heavy bags from T5 to T1? And then there is the return, three days later: Arriving on UA and leaving on QR back to Doha. How do I get myself and my bags from T1 to T3? Thanks so much!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
On the way in to the US, once you clear customs there is a bag check area immediately outside the customs exit and you'll drop your bags there.

Then just take the inter-terminal tram over to T1.

On the way out your bags should transfer automatically; use the same inter-terminal tram.

This assumes all your flights are on one ticket.

3 hours connection is about right for time, assuming your first flight is on-time.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
I assume you're connecting on UA or you wouldn't be posting here. Just have QR interline the bags to your final destination. You'll have to claim them at T5 for customs purposes, but there's a UA bag recheck station just after you exit customs. You should be fine.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:25 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP:

Are the DOH-ORD-PDX flights on the same ticket?

Are the 3 heavy bags to be checked?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by OnePassenger
Friends: My company got me on the daily Qatar Airways flight from Doha to O'Hare. Arriving at ORD's International Terminal 5. I have 3 hours to clear US Immigration and Customs and head to Terminal 1 to check in for my UA flight to PDX. H E L P!! How do I get my three heavy bags from T5 to T1? And then there is the return, three days later: Arriving on UA and leaving on QR back to Doha. How do I get myself and my bags from T1 to T3? Thanks so much!
All international flights arrive at T5 (including UA's own flights) so it is well designed to move people and this bags from those international flights to domestic flights at T1-3

United has bag recheck in T5 immediately after customs you will only need to carry your bag a few hundred feet and there are free carts if you need them. O your return they will be automatically transferred from your inbound flight to the QR flight, you don't need to do anything (assuming its all booked on the same itinerary). If they aren't on the same itinerary it's still easy to check your bag with United at T5 upon your arrival (they will give you your boarding passes at the same time).

There is a tram from T5 to T1 which makes connections very easy. Thousands of people make the connection from international arrivals at T5 to domestic flights everyday....don't sweat it.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
No need to panic. As explained above, as long as your flight is less than 2 hours late, you will be fine. Dump your bags with UA right after customs, and take the 4 minute train ride to terminal 1. Walk right in to the ticket counter. The only delay is reclearing security at the UA terminal.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by as219
I assume you're connecting on UA or you wouldn't be posting here. Just have QR interline the bags to your final destination. You'll have to claim them at T5 for customs purposes, but there's a UA bag recheck station just after you exit customs. You should be fine.
You do need to be very careful to make sure that when you check in that the agent checks your bags all the way to the final destination. Often, when you have to change airlines, that does not happen automatically.

If that does not happen, and if there is no way for you to check the bags with the UA representative in T5, here are some other options that may work for you:

1) Rent a cart (about $5). There are elevators to the inter-terminal trains, so you should be able to roll the cart to T1. You will probably want to rent a cart inside of customs anyway so that you can get from baggage claim and through customs. Just keep the cart all the way to T1.

2) If you don't want to push the cart, hire a skycap (a porter). They will be outside customs and will have their own carts. Explain what you need, and make sure they understand there will be a generous tip (I would probably tip $20, but others may disagree).
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by coolcoil
1) Rent a cart (about $5). There are elevators to the inter-terminal trains, so you should be able to roll the cart to T1. You will probably want to rent a cart inside of customs anyway so that you can get from baggage claim and through customs. Just keep the cart all the way to T1.
Can't do this as far as I know - you cannot bring the cart onto the monorail.

Shouldn't be an issue since QR should be able to internline the bags, but worth pointing out in case the OP ends up in this position.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by star_world
Can't do this as far as I know - you cannot bring the cart onto the monorail.
You're right. I now remember seeing the sign. I was picturing MIA, where you can bring carts on the people mover, as I wrote that.

Sorry for the bad advice.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:47 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Carts are free at the ORD T5 baggage claim, only place they are free (I think part of the smart cart deal with the city,) but since a recent redesign of part of the immigration lanes (addition of the 1 stop lanes,) the smart carts are always in short supply. There used to be (4) entry points for the smart cart people to re supply, but the 2 points used by them most frequently have been repoed by ICE and repurposed, cutting the rate of re supply of carts. If there are no carts, the skycaps hang out at the center (around claim #5) right after immigrations.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:20 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The new APC Kiosks are to have opened today. Has anyone used them? How did the process work?

Any reports would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.