Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Premier level, 2016-present

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Posted by dank0014:

Agent advised that a PP benefit allows us to book 5 day packages vs 7 day packages at lesser points. She mentioned it was only available to MVC owners and Marriott PP (not regular platinum).
Print Wikipost

Platinum Premier level, 2016-present

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I just got an email that basically says "you're PP, now click this link to get UA Gold status." So UA *Gold still seems to be a PP benefit. However, it's an odd time of year to send this out. I think it's too early to be based on PP requalification for next year and it doesn't coincide with the UA FF program year either.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I just got an email that basically says "you're PP, now click this link to get UA Gold status." So UA *Gold still seems to be a PP benefit. However, it's an odd time of year to send this out.
Shhh!! Do not look a gift horse in the mouth. LOL
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I just got an email that basically says "you're PP, now click this link to get UA Gold status." So UA *Gold still seems to be a PP benefit. However, it's an odd time of year to send this out. I think it's too early to be based on PP requalification for next year and it doesn't coincide with the UA FF program year either.
FWIW, I just got one saying "you're P, now click this link to get UA Sliver status"

Special Offer
Double status looks good on you.
Your Marriott Rewards® Platinum Elite status is your ticket to United MileagePlus® Premier® Silver status plus discounts on points redemption and award miles.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
I’ve been PP for the last couple of years with nights in the high 100s/ low 200s.

This year is a bit of an anomaly, I’ll end the year with 117 nights. 47 paid, 23 redemption. The rest rollover and promos. But my spend is pretty high (I think?), approximately $20,000 on hotel rates alone — not including spend at the property. So that puts my average nightly paid rate at $425. If I include spend on property it’s probably another $15,000. I’ve earned about 500,000 points from all sources not including partner transfers.

I know none of us knows what alchemy MR uses to figure out the top 3% of members, but for me this year will be a good test to see how much revenue plays into their calculations. If at all.

The first year I made PP was with 280 nights due to a ton of rewarding events and rollover...and my total spend that year was probably less than $5k on room rates and less than $8k total.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TommyC80
I’ve been PP for the last couple of years with nights in the high 100s/ low 200s.

This year is a bit of an anomaly, I’ll end the year with 117 nights. 47 paid, 23 redemption. The rest rollover and promos. But my spend is pretty high (I think?), approximately $20,000 on hotel rates alone — not including spend at the property. So that puts my average nightly paid rate at $425. If I include spend on property it’s probably another $15,000. I’ve earned about 500,000 points from all sources not including partner transfers.

I know none of us knows what alchemy MR uses to figure out the top 3% of members, but for me this year will be a good test to see how much revenue plays into their calculations. If at all.

The first year I made PP was with 280 nights due to a ton of rewarding events and rollover...and my total spend that year was probably less than $5k on room rates and less than $8k total.
Ahh, the anticipation...

As you know MR does not reveal any hard rules for making PP so anything can happen you you'll only be guessing as to why. MR does have a rep for granting status based upon historical activity and where you stand in the HVC ranks. Many years ago I was gifted Platinum Emeritus (no there were no special perks) the best I can tell was I changed my business address to our corporate offices and I was on the same floor (close mailstop) with our CEO. All we know for sure is you may be extended PP status or you may not. If you are willing to accept either of those out comes, next year will be just fine. And, by the way, did you see any perks from the properties for having PP? I didn't when I had the status and many didn't even know what it was!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
And, by the way, did you see any perks from the properties for having PP? I didn't when I had the status and many didn't even know what it was!
HA! Mostly, no not really. A lot of FDC definitely don’t know about the program, as has been widely reported by others. UA gold has been the best benefit for me. I’m a 1K this year, but will drop to silver next year due to a lot of reward flights. That was and still is my favorite PP benefit, assuming it sticks around.

I’ve gotten the occasional really nice upgrade. A couple examples...From a Club standard to a Club suite at a Ritz on a 10 night reward stay, an upgrade to the presidential suite at another RC from a Club Suite. I’ve also been a guest at those properties multiple times, so I’m not sure how that plays into their decision to upgrade me vs PP status. Other upgrades were hard to differentiate from what I received as a platinum member.

Most of my stays are at RC, so I don’t have the best data points at Marriott properties. I know RC are stingy about upgrades in general, so I’ll assume PP has something to do with getting upgrades that are definitely not in their standard operating procedure.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
No significant difference in treatment or perks at the hotels I stay at. I always have had good upgrades at Marriott, JW, RC, and others with Platinum status in years past, as well as Platinum Permier during the last 2 years that I have had the status... some hotels know that PP is above PT and recognize as such, but most do not.

Best upgrade, by the way, was a 3 day weekend at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas... $128/nt standard room was upgraded to a wrap-around suite overlooking the Bellagio fountain. That was in July of this year.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:30 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
I am currently platinum preferred elite (and LT Plat). On the app it states that I can renew this status by staying 75 nights this year. Specifically it says "Renew Platinum Premier Elite at 75 Nights". Is this at all true?

Due to the higher earning promotions with SPG, I have been concentrating my stays there. I am currently at only 50 nights with Marriott. With effort I could push all my nights for the rest of the year toward Marriott. I would only consider this if it is a given renewal

And then I have to figure out if the PP status is actually worth anything to me. I don't think I have noticed any difference besides the welcome package.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by cbellero
I am currently platinum preferred elite (and LT Plat). On the app it states that I can renew this status by staying 75 nights this year. Specifically it says "Renew Platinum Premier Elite at 75 Nights". Is this at all true?

Due to the higher earning promotions with SPG, I have been concentrating my stays there. I am currently at only 50 nights with Marriott. With effort I could push all my nights for the rest of the year toward Marriott. I would only consider this if it is a given renewal

And then I have to figure out if the PP status is actually worth anything to me. I don't think I have noticed any difference besides the welcome package.
The web/app does not cover all corner cases. I am only 9 nights away from LTP but the sites show I need 75 nights for Plat status. I would guess even if you did the 75 nights, MR will claim the app was in error since MR has never announced a number of nights to make PP status. Keeping screen shots of what you are seeing might get some sympathy, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by cbellero
I am currently platinum preferred elite (and LT Plat). On the app it states that I can renew this status by staying 75 nights this year.
Platinum preferred is not platinum premier though. isnt plat. preferred just another name for plat. status?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by swintec
Platinum preferred is not platinum premier though. isnt plat. preferred just another name for plat. status?
It may as well be since I have never been able to distinguish between the two.

PP should be a level with more exclusive benefits, such as free breakfast or a guaranteed $20 in free room service food items or something of that sort. Additionally, there should be more discount award points rooms available to this exclusive status. That would be a good start for the future program after the merge next year. Many of my redemptions have not been for discount points rates, even booking 6 months in advance.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
It may as well be since I have never been able to distinguish between the two.
Well yes, but it is notr advertised as being more than plat. (besides maybe name) and isnt advertised as having further benefits than plat. so i tend to wonder why people expect to get treated differently than plats. even clicking the platinum premier status to view benefits links you to regular plat benefits. i think the perceived importance of it is manufactured by the forums because marriott doesnt do it and that is what is important in the end.

i do agree though, in my opinion, it should have further benefits.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by swintec
how many years have you been plat. though? Seems there is some truth to the prior postings from years past that you must hold plat. status for three years before being able to achieve PP. I am also an example of this.

The prior 4 years I had spending pretty much the same each year (some a bit more) and i only ever got plat. and then lifetime plat. Last year, the 4th year, I reached PP.
I agree with this two year old post. I will add my data point.

I've been Platinum for 3 yeras (2015-2017), although the first was on a challenge so that probably doesn't count in swintec's and other's three year rule.

My nights last year were 348 (real nights 194, promotional 1, rollover 84, credit card 69; personal and business card ). Points earned were 1.3MM. Average rate was $239 before taxes. I would think that would put me in the top 3 of the top 3, but still Plat Elite.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by txpenny
I agree with this two year old post. I will add my data point.

I've been Platinum for 3 yeras (2015-2017), although the first was on a challenge so that probably doesn't count in swintec's and other's three year rule.

My nights last year were 348 (real nights 194, promotional 1, rollover 84, credit card 69; personal and business card ). Points earned were 1.3MM. Average rate was $239 before taxes. I would think that would put me in the top 3 of the top 3, but still Plat Elite.

So even if you’re Lifetime Platinum you have to gain Platinum Status every single year for 4 years to reach Platinum Premier? I believe the supposition put forth above, but it still seems excessive.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by icydog

So even if you’re Lifetime Platinum you have to gain Platinum Status every single year for 4 years to reach Platinum Premier? I believe the supposition put forth above, but it still seems excessive.
It still might be a three-year qualifier if they're not counting my challenge year (2015).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.