Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Latest on EEO Free Weekend/BOGO certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott discontinued these a few years ago. They are no longer available.
Print Wikipost

Latest on EEO Free Weekend/BOGO certificates

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2011, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I agree - the changes each time are making these less worthwhile. Not totally worthless of course, but definitely a watering down of the bennie. It wouldn't surprise me if Marriott eventually drops them, which is too bad since they're a competitive advantage over the other chains.

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Little if any benefit to those in the northeast corridor these days since almost every hotel anywhere near the coast from Maryland up through NH is now on the exclusion list... add even longer periods without the EEOs and its pretty much only good for training your pet or lining a birdcage.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:23 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
For the past year I have always looked out for the EEO's hoping for some EU/UK availability, as there was in the past. For the last year I have been disappointed...

I go away for weekends at least once, sometimes twice a month, mixing EU and UK stays.

My criteria for choosing my destination is simple, Value. If I can get a £1-£50 return EU flight, then I'll go there, wherever it is. If I can get a very cheap quality hotel then my flight budget can go up, likewise a real cheap flight cost can increase the hotel budget. EEO's have in previous years been a significant part of my travels, usually in the UK. To my mind the EEO scheme is mutually beneficial, Marriott flogs off vacant inventory, thus at least getting something rather than nothing, and does so to its most valuable customers, thus reinforcing our relationship with them. By making sure it can only be booked via the gold/plat line this enables both the hotels and Marriott to strictly control numbers, ensuring it really is only flogging vacant inventory.

My stays with Marriott at weekends have reduced since the EEO's ceased to be valid outside the US, and therefore that inventory I would have used remains vacant. Repeat that throughout the non-US membership and there is a sigificant loss of income with a corresponding gain in unused inventory. Surely this is not a good outcome for Marriott?

I can only assume Marriott is restricting both dates and venues because usage of the scheme has developed in a way they deem undesirable, but simply reducing the EEO validity is a very blunt instrument, and is undoubtably costing Marriott custom.

The BOGO EEO's are unique to MR, and a significant benefit, but to all non-US members its become a non-benefit, to many US members on the NorthEastern seaboard I suspect they feel similarly. Marriott needs to deal with the issues that are causing the company concern and return EEO's to the membership, rather than this gradual death by 1000 cuts, which is simply alienating an ever increasing number of us.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
For the past year I have always looked out for the EEO's hoping for some EU/UK availability, as there was in the past. For the last year I have been disappointed...

I go away for weekends at least once, sometimes twice a month, mixing EU and UK stays.

My criteria for choosing my destination is simple, Value. If I can get a £1-£50 return EU flight, then I'll go there, wherever it is. If I can get a very cheap quality hotel then my flight budget can go up, likewise a real cheap flight cost can increase the hotel budget. EEO's have in previous years been a significant part of my travels, usually in the UK. To my mind the EEO scheme is mutually beneficial, Marriott flogs off vacant inventory, thus at least getting something rather than nothing, and does so to its most valuable customers, thus reinforcing our relationship with them. By making sure it can only be booked via the gold/plat line this enables both the hotels and Marriott to strictly control numbers, ensuring it really is only flogging vacant inventory.

My stays with Marriott at weekends have reduced since the EEO's ceased to be valid outside the US, and therefore that inventory I would have used remains vacant. Repeat that throughout the non-US membership and there is a sigificant loss of income with a corresponding gain in unused inventory. Surely this is not a good outcome for Marriott?

I can only assume Marriott is restricting both dates and venues because usage of the scheme has developed in a way they deem undesirable, but simply reducing the EEO validity is a very blunt instrument, and is undoubtably costing Marriott custom.

The BOGO EEO's are unique to MR, and a significant benefit, but to all non-US members its become a non-benefit, to many US members on the NorthEastern seaboard I suspect they feel similarly. Marriott needs to deal with the issues that are causing the company concern and return EEO's to the membership, rather than this gradual death by 1000 cuts, which is simply alienating an ever increasing number of us.
I'd recommend you write Marriott stating the above. Good summary.

Cheers.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Upcoming EEO Dates

Just spoke with Platinum reservations regarding a different matter. I inquired about EEO certificates and was told that the next promo would be July 8 - Aug 28 with NO International properties offered. Promo after that won't start until October 28 and will last through Jan 15. Unusually long break between the two promos. It appears they are bypassing holiday weekends (July 4th, Labor Day).
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
The EEO is the best perk of any hotel chain in my opinion.
I can always make use of them, it gives me an excuse to take weekend trips, I earn points/credit on the paid night at least, and I can combine with LNF.
I hope they dont cut these down much more, it is hands down the most attractive part of MR.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: WN CP; Hilton Diamond; IHG Plat
I also cannot find the T&C's and exclusions, so does anyone know if the Marriott Vacation Club hotels are excluded? Specifically, I want to use one at the Marriott's Ocean Pointe in Ft. Lauderdale the weekend of July 9th.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...-ocean-pointe/
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
In the past, they have applied to Marriotts and Renaissances only. No Vacation Clubs.

Bruce
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Frequent Freak
However, Marriott seriously needs to work on improving the mechanics of booking the free nights, educating desk staff and so on. I understand there's some price discrimination going on here, but of the six or seven EEOs I've booked in the past year I think only ONE has gone completely smoothly.
Have to completely agree with this. I have never been able to call the required number and get anyone who knows what I am talking about when I want to book an EEO. The rep finally just puts a note in my res. And then at the hotel, it is never processed correctly, and I have to give my backup copy of the EEO at check-out, because they lost the original given at check-in.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:38 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum
Grrrrr

Pretty annoyed there won't be any UK properties. I rarely get to use these vouchers because of this. It would really help as we only stay for leisure and pay out of our own pocket, so the bonus of a few free nights would help.

BTW, for future reference (when Marriott are good enough to let us use them in the UK) can they be used more than once in one period?? I thought I could only use once.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
While I empathise with some of the frustration being expressed here, I think it's important to understand that this is a perk that revolves around unsold inventory. To me that pretty much explains why the UK, New York City, and other popular leisure destinations are seldom, if ever, included.

I've always viewed this program as Marriott in effect saying to customers, "Hey, we've got some inventory that's typically unsold on weekends. Help us out by giving us some revenue that we wouldn't get otherwise, and we'll help you out by throwing in a free night."

I don't think it's reasonable to expect high-demand properties to participate....especially in high-demand seasons. Like it or not, that would be bad business practice on Marriott's part.

That said....the long periods beyond redemption periods are a little harder to understand (unless indeed the program is being phased out). Why not just black out holiday weekends? As it is, the offer is subject to availability, so hotels can black out weekends where there might be local events, etc.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:02 am

So what do you think when the new BOGO's will be available?

Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Hosserunda
So what do you think when the new BOGO's will be available?

Thanks.
Read the thread. The dates have been posted numerous times.

Cheers.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Just checked. Not yet. Been checking pretty much daily...

Still holding hope that NYC properties will be included, since the EEO is only supposed to be for a short period during the summer, and NYC tends to somewhat empty out during the summer....
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, UA 1K
As well hoping these get posted ASAP...Have a stay in New Orleans that I would like to change over to a BOGO this upcoming weekend!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.