Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Latest on EEO Free Weekend/BOGO certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott discontinued these a few years ago. They are no longer available.
Print Wikipost

Latest on EEO Free Weekend/BOGO certificates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ohmark
I assume the OP's reference to mandatory weekend lounge closures is to the policy that Marriott put into place during the height of the financial downturn, and which was confirmed by the Marriott Concierge in a thread here, to the effect that fs properties were advised by Marriott corporate to not open lounges on weekends and not to provide weekend breakfast coupons. Shortly thereafter, most properties that had been open on weekends or provided breakfast coupons, changed course and closed the lounges and eliminated the coupons. Seems that recently, from postings in various threads, that some of those properties have again reversed course, and are open on weekends, or are providing breakfast coupons.
I might be splitting hairs but MC didn't confirm that there was a mandatory policy nor was there one......MI just like most companies offers recommendations on various topics such as ways to cut costs and save money - when looking for ways to save money MI's first thought is to Guest Sat and the impact any changes would have, these recommendations asked hotels to review their historical data to see what their individual impact would be before making any changes but the decision was made locally not in Bethesda
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by rylan
Just in case anyone is curious as to the full list of exclusions

Marriotts:
Non-participating U.S. locations:

- Annapolis Marriott Waterfront
- Baltimore Marriott Waterfront
- Boston Marriott Cambridge
- Boston Marriott Copley Place
- Boston Marriott Long Wharf
- Boston Marriott Peabody
- Boston Marriott Quincy
- Charleston Marriott Town Center
- Charlotte Marriott SouthPark
- Crystal Gateway Marriott
- Delray Beach Marriott
- JW Marriott Washington, DC
- Key Bridge Marriott
- Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel
- Long Island Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
- Le Merigot,A JW Spa
- Marriott at Research Triangle Park
- Monterey Marriott
- Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
- Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa
- Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
- New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott
- New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge
- New York Marriott Downtown
- New York Marriott East Side
- New York Marriott Marquis
- Newport Marriott (R.I.)- Palm Beach Gardens Marriott
- Philadelphia Airport Marriott
- Raleigh Marriott City Center
- San Diego Marriott Hotel & Marina
- San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
- Santa Ynez Marriott
- South Beach Marriott
- Spartanburg Marriott at Renaissance Park
- Springfield Marriott
- Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe
- Washington Marriott
- Washington Marriott Wardman Park
- Williamsburg Marriott
- Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa

Renaissance:

* - Renaissance Asheville Hotel
* - Renaissance Charleston Hotel Historic District
* - Renaissance Hotel 57
* - Renaissance New York Hotel Times Square
* - Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel
* - Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel
* - Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel
* - Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
* - The Mayflower® Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel
This is very bad news for me. And, now that they have allowed so many exemptions, what's to keep hundreds of other properties seeing the disadvantage they are put at and also requesting exemptions in the coming years. I'd like to have at least limited lounge service on weekends but I'd hate even more to lose the two for 1 weekend benefit - and I see some of my favorite properties have now joined the list. on this unwelcome change to the Elite benefit program.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Please send emails through the marriott website and write letters to corporate if this devaluation bothers you at all. The only way they'll know is by getting feedback.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Another thing that surprises me about this is that it was my understanding that hotels were actually reimbursed fairly generously from MI for the "free" nights. A couple of times the second night's room charge showed up on my bill, and it was significantly higher than the usual weekend discounts we can all find. One forthcoming front desk manager told me, when cheerfully removing that second night's charge, that he loved seeing those EEO's come in because they meant he'd be getting more revenue from corporate than he'd ever get from a guest for a weekend night!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Another thing that surprises me about this is that it was my understanding that hotels were actually reimbursed fairly generously from MI for the "free" nights. A couple of times the second night's room charge showed up on my bill, and it was significantly higher than the usual weekend discounts we can all find. One forthcoming front desk manager told me, when cheerfully removing that second night's charge, that he loved seeing those EEO's come in because they meant he'd be getting more revenue from corporate than he'd ever get from a guest for a weekend night!
I'm looking for a way to respond without disclosing too much but perhaps the best thing to state is "there are always exceptions to rules including reimbursement rules" and it sounds as though the hotel you are referring to is one of those exceptions
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I don't want to sidetrack the thread, which is the value of EEOs with numerous exemptions.

But most hotel management when asked by us elites why lounges were closed on weekends or brekkie certs were no longer given - gave as the reason why, 'HQ told us to'. So forgive us if we take that the reason why.

I now return you to our regularly scheduled programming, which is EEOs.

Cheers.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I don't want to sidetrack the thread, which is the value of EEOs with numerous exemptions.

But most hotel management when asked by us elites why lounges were closed on weekends or brekkie certs were no longer given - gave as the reason why, 'HQ told us to'. So forgive us if we take that the reason why.

I now return you to our regularly scheduled programming, which is EEOs.

Cheers.
Sharon I've never doubted that is what was being told......I'm going to self edit now and not call it what it is (besides saying it's an easy way to "pass the buck" which is sad)
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
Hotel version of "good cop, bad cop".

As for the EEOs, I stand to be corrected, but my take has always been that this was hatched for the primary purpose of what to do with high room inventory levels at some properties on weekends. Generate some measure of inventory while at the same time doing something nice for the best customers.

As such, I've always viewed it as a program that more often than not creates a win-win for both hotels and guests alike. To my view, the fact that the program may be unavailable at high demand locations/and or times is a caveat that just comes along with the deal. As for the program being devalued lately, I'd say that's only from the standpoint that higher demand in a time of recovery in the travel industry resulting in fewer hotels participating in the program.

The basic premise is still "Hey, if we have inventory we'll do something for you if you'll come on over and give us revenue we otherwise wouldn't have".

Sure, I don't like it when I find myself wanting to use the perk, but can't. But on balance, I think the program is both fair and good.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
deleted.

Last edited by keeton; Nov 13, 2010 at 5:46 am
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
you guys can go back and forth splitting hairs, trying to be technically correct and that is all fine and dandy

however as a guest, I use the empirical evidence that FS marriotts in the USA close their lounges on the weekends.. for every exception (where one might be open) there are dozens of properties that have closed the lounges

it is this evidence that has kept me out of FS Marriotts Friday thru Sunday's.. I know Sunday nights they are usually open but I don't even take that chance anymore
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:05 pm

Instead of excluding properties completely, why not just attach a code to their use and limit the number of rooms available at the 2-for-1 rate. This would do two things, it would make rooms at all properties open for the EEO and make it easier to actually use these when you call the reservation line. Can't remember how many times I was asked for "the code" when I called to make a reservation for an EEO and how many other times the agent had to talk to their supervisor.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
The number of available rooms for EEOs is already capacity controlled for each participating property. This is listed on each EEO.

1. A limited number of rooms are available for this promotion. Certain blackout dates may apply.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:18 am

That (limited availability) is why they say you have to make the reservation by phone instead of being able to book it on-line.

(As an exception, I have booked a reservation on-line when I wasn't where I could call Elite Reservations, and then called the Reservations afterward and asked them if they could make a note that I would be using the EEO to pay for the second night. They said they'd have to check whether the offer was still "available" at the property.)
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
however as a guest, I use the empirical evidence that FS marriotts in the USA close their lounges on the weekends.. for every exception (where one might be open) there are dozens of properties that have closed the lounges

it is this evidence that has kept me out of FS Marriotts Friday thru Sunday's.. I know Sunday nights they are usually open but I don't even take that chance anymore
For many decades now most of the full service hotels have had their lougned closed Friday afternoon through Sunday morning....this isn't a change
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by socrates
For many decades now most of the full service hotels have had their lougned closed Friday afternoon through Sunday morning....this isn't a change
Actually that's not true. But we're digressing from the topic of the thread, which is more properties being exempt from EEOs in the US

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.