Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
YES, but I can only speak for myself.

In addition, doing so should put the property "in check" so future guests do not have to go through the same thing.
Really??? How did they explain that one? "Oh, well, I thought they were all booked, but now that corp called, I magically have one available." I mean, really ... how did they explain that?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by holtju2
BTW it got even crazier that night. My non-status friend who checked in around 11:45PM was offered an Oasis suite for $200 upsell.

I normally get treated very well at the SPG properties I frequently stay. It is somewhat problematic, however, with the properties where I stay once/twice a year.
As I always ask, what is the Platinum upgrade for X property?

IIRC, the oasis suite is not a part of the platinum upgrade pool. So I wouldn't consider this a part of the issue.

We all know that some properties are proactive and chose to upgrade above and beyond SPG T&C's (example: the Westin Diplomat).

If you're non status friend had been offered a suite within the upgrade pool, then, by all means, that needs to be investigated as to why it's available at that time.

Granted it's plausible that at 11:45PM, there could have been late check outs so an upgraded room is now available. A suite that may not have been available during the normal check wave.

Can we get back to the W South Beach, Miami Beach discussion and move the "upgrade" discussion into one of the many previous threads?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:26 pm

Can we get back to the W South Beach, Miami Beach discussion and move the "upgrade" discussion into one of the many previous threads?
Sure thing, but I'd still love to know how a front desk managed to tell you that a suite had magically opened up.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ramalama8
Sure thing, but I'd still love to know how a front desk managed to tell you that a suite had magically opened up.
Oh lord.

My guess is that the suite was available when I got there, yet my reservation was not processed [ie I was not pre-booked into a suite], nor did the agent check to see if anything better was available at the time of check in.

So when I forced her hand and management became involved, I was assigned a suite I was entitled to.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:27 pm

Oh lord.

My guess is that the suite was available when I got there, yet my reservation was not processed [ie I was not pre-booked into a suite], nor did the agent check to see if anything better was available at the time of check in.

So when I forced her hand and management became involved, I was assigned a suite I was entitled to.
Sorry, geez... Didn't know that would be painful for you...

Just thought it would be interesting to know how the front desk handled it when they found out you caught them lying red-handed, and what they said in return. Seems to me it would be quite the memorable experience... I'd probably remember it if it happened to me.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, AA Gold
Oh lord.

lurker, perhaps my original question could have been better phrased. while one can always file a complaint after the stay, i was interested in the steps one should take right then n there, but it looks like cheap elite may have answered it.

everyone, my apologies if i am beating this to death... i am familiar with filing a complaint by calling spg customer care (i imagine this is what's being referred to as filing a corporate complaint), however, the 2 times i have done it in the past, a response was received about 1 day after the actual complaint. can you please tell me how you phrased the complaint to spg customer care on the phone? was it something along the lines of "i am here at xx property and front desk is telling me there are no standard suites available. however, on spg.com it shows every type of suite available (incl. the standard suites). on my behalf, can you please call the property's GM right now and help me sort this out"
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cybaslacka
everyone, my apologies if i am beating this to death
You are not and no apology is required. This is an important subject.

Customer Care files are typically after-the-fact and are put on the GM's desk. The best the GM can do is answer questions as to why something was done, apologize (if applicable) and possibly provide points or some other form of compensation (if applicable). Typically, the files don't solve problems while you are at the property unless you are there for a while. The reason I say this is that the property has 72 hours (?) to reply to any customer care file.

The only way I know of addressing an upgrade issue for an in-progress stay is by calling the Platinum Concierge and asking them to intervene. First, ask the PC to see if they see upgradeable suites. If they see upgradeable suites, ask them to call the property on your behalf.

The other option is to ask to speak to the Front Office Manager. I guess I typically do this first and then call the PC if I don't get satisfaction.

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Sep 20, 2010 at 9:41 pm
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:38 pm

Fantastic Suites

Are the "Fanastic Suites" located on lower floors? Or are there any other "downsides"? How is the ocean view?

We want to stay at the hotel for a week in late October and I was just wondering why the premium to a Sensational Studio is only $30 for a Suite.

Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
You are not and no apology is required. This is an important subject.

Customer Care files are typically after-the-fact and are put on the GM's desk. The best the GM can do is answer questions as to why something was done, apologize (if applicable) and possibly provide points or some other form of compensation (if applicable). Typically, the files don't solve problems while you are at the property unless you are there for a while. The reason I say this is that the property has 72 hours (?) to reply to any customer care file.

The only way I know of addressing an upgrade issue for an in-progress stay is by calling the Platinum Concierge and asking them to intervene. First, ask the PC to see if they see upgradeable suites. If they see upgradeable suites, ask them to call the property on your behalf.

The other option is to ask to speak to the Front Office Manager. I guess I typically do this first and then call the PC if I don't get satisfaction.

thank you. great advice. so my current game plan:

1) the night before checkin, call up property to see if i have been upgraded. if not, check spg.com to see if standard suites are indeed available.
2) call the property morning i land in S beach and ask what room i have been assigned. if not a suite, call PC and ask if they see any standard suites available.
3) if yes to #2, check into hotel and if suite is still not given, i will ask for front desm manager and if no luck, call PC to intervene.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:21 am
Suspended

Exclamation

1) the night before checkin, call up property to see if i have been upgraded. if not, check spg.com to see if standard suites are indeed available.
2) call the property morning i land in S beach and ask what room i have been assigned. if not a suite, call PC and ask if they see any standard suites available.
3) if yes to #2, check into hotel and if suite is still not given, i will ask for front desm manager and if no luck, call PC to intervene.
This creates a problem as upgrades are space available upon check in. They are going to stick to the line and I dont blame them. So calling ahead and requesting a suite, defeats the purpose of the SPG program. Yes, some properties are able to pre block rooms and/or give upgrades above and beyond.

Also, we all need to remember that an upgrade does not solely equal a suite. If you're going to call the PC, you need to be 100% sure that SELECT STANDARD SUITES are showing availability, not just any suite.

As I always suggest, if you REALLY want to be in a suite book a suite. Or us points to secure one.

If the property truly does not have any select standard suites available, don't throw a hissy fit. I've been in situations at properties I love where I wasn't upgraded because the property was a) fully booked b) had a wedding/several wedding parties in house c) had a conference/corporate event d) small number of Select Standard Suites or Suites in general.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:01 am

Here's the deal...

I wonder into this forum under this statement: I have knowledge of how things operate at the hotel and my statements are only here for your benefit and will not be held responsible if things dont work out.

*This hotel has 17 different room types spread over 330 rooms. This 330 room count can change as units enter and leave the hotel. I say units can leave as this is a 100% condo hotel. I will not go in-depth on this topic, please use Google.
*The larger the unit the longer it takes to clean. So, if a guest is in one of the larger suites and checks out at 11am; it could still take a few hours for it to be cleaned as the hotel does not have a pit crew outside the door ready to bust in.
*This hotel, unlike most, actually sell their suites instead of just using them for upgrades.

With these items covered here are some items that my help you out.

If you try to check-in on Friday or Saturday or any day after a busy night...the earlier you try and check in the lower your chances of being upgraded. The hotel provides a hospitality suite to allow you to change and take a shower so you can enjoy the hotel's amenities or venture out of the hotel while you wait for your room. Again...the later you check-in the higher your chance of getting an upgrade....key word...CHANCE.

The hotel has a style (housekeeping) department that cleans unoccupied rooms well into the night. This means that a room will be available on SPG.com that is not cleaned or ready to be occupied. See the above statement.

You will have your best luck with late checkouts and early check-in during the week...Monday - Thursday.

If you book an SPG award and you want to gtd an upgrade, check your email confirmation. Most have an upgrade offer on the right hand side.

This hotel like most high demand SPG hotels can have 100 -150 platinums in the building at any one time. Especially from November -April...so plan accordingly.

Here are a few other items:
*All room type layouts are available under the room tab at wsouthbeach.com
*Wonderful Studios are on floors 3-9
*Spectacular Studios are on floors 10-19
*Fabulous Studios are on floors 3-5
*Mega Suites are on the 6th floor
*Bungalows are on the ground level in a separate building
*All other suites can range from the 3rd floor to the 19th.
*All Penthouses are on the 20th floor.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:24 am
Suspended

The problem with your game plan is that according to SPG rules, you are upgraded to the best available room "at check-in." Are Platinums sometimes pre-assigned suites? Sure. But, I never get worked up until after check-in because it's all a mute point. Before check-in, you aren't entitled to anything.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by a4b7ga
Here are a few other items:
*All room type layouts are available under the room tab at wsouthbeach.com
*Wonderful Studios are on floors 3-9
*Spectacular Studios are on floors 10-19
*Fabulous Studios are on floors 3-5
*Mega Suites are on the 6th floor
*Bungalows are on the ground level in a separate building
*All other suites can range from the 3rd floor to the 19th.
*All Penthouses are on the 20th floor.
Wow, very helpful (since W's room naming conventions are so idiotic). Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Wow, very helpful (since W's room naming conventions are so idiotic). Thanks.
+1 on thanks to this posting- very helpful.
I also agree that the naming conventions of W rooms are so confusing that it is impossible to really understand what each room type means- perhaps they could look at Four Seasons where it is significantly clearer.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by a4b7ga
This hotel like most high demand SPG hotels can have 100 -150 platinums in the building at any one time. Especially from November -April...so plan accordingly.
100 to 150 PLT's? I doubt it.

But agree with the plan accordingly part which in my case is to TO STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.