Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:20 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Confused. What I said was that a resort shouldn't say late checkouts aren't available but then try to sell them. Is your reply in reference to that? If so, please explain. Thanks.

I would love someone (Lurkers, etc.?) give an example where it would be acceptable for the resort to deny a Platinum late checkout (because it is unavailable) but offer to sell it. This has to be against the rules, no?
Personally, I can't think of an example where this would be acceptable and if it happens, I think it should be documented with Corporate Customer Service. Once it is, send me the file number and I'll have the SPG Hotel Coordinators follow up on it as well.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Would anybody recommend staying here with a 8 month old? we are looking to take a break from the freezing weather in NYC at the end of the month. The location looks great because of direct access to the beach or would you recommend staying elsewhere? I have looked into other non-SPG properties in the Brickell area, but there is no beach. What do you guys think?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: SPG Plat (life gold);UA 1K; IC Plat Amb
Originally Posted by trach500
Would anybody recommend staying here with a 8 month old? we are looking to take a break from the freezing weather in NYC at the end of the month. The location looks great because of direct access to the beach or would you recommend staying elsewhere? I have looked into other non-SPG properties in the Brickell area, but there is no beach. What do you guys think?
I wouldn't. This is an adults hotel.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:44 am

Just an FYI...the week of March 22-28 is the annual Winter Music Conference in South Beach. The town will be PACKED with club kids from around the world, most of which will not be "sober" for the entire week. Most of the hotels will host parties each day as well with very loud music playing into the night.
May not be the ideal getaway week with a child as I've seen people stumble upon that weekend and be shocked.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks for your responses. I think we still in the "quieter" section of Miami.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:09 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
It's a great, trendy hotel, but I certainly would not subject a child to the club atmosphere....
Old Mar 5, 2010, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
There are no starwood properties on Brickell.

Originally Posted by fraz2007
I wouldn't. This is an adults hotel.
Agreed!

Thanks for your responses. I think we still in the "quieter" section of Miami.
HUH? South Beach is not in Miami it's in Miami Beach. I wouldn't consider the 20's "quiet" by any means.

Originally Posted by daveland
It's a great, trendy hotel, but I certainly would not subject a child to the club atmosphere....
Agreed again.

As often suggested, if you want to relax with a family, you should book at the 4 Point Sheraton Miami Beach! I kid...I kid. Seriously, book at the Westin Diplomat. See the master thread list for more information on this well respected property.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
I would agree that the Westin Diplomat up the coast is a much, much more suitable environment for young families seeking some sun.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:28 am

I am looking to stay here in early April. I am a new AMEX member and plan on booking this trip with my Platinum card. I'm also an SPG member (have a login and password and have booked a few Starwood hotels) outside of AMEX. Can I expect any upgrades? I apologize in advance if this is a "newb" question. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Foreigner2009
I am looking to stay here in early April. I am a new AMEX member and plan on booking this trip with my Platinum card. I'm also an SPG member (have a login and password and have booked a few Starwood hotels) outside of AMEX. Can I expect any upgrades? I apologize in advance if this is a "newb" question. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
No, you should not "expect" an upgrade unless you have SPG platinum status. You might be upgraded, to a better room, in the same room category, if you have gold status. It appears this property isn't in the FHR program.

As a newbie, I suggest you read this thread: Everything you want to know about status at SPG
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Foreigner2009
Don't count on it unless management has had a change since my last visits. I wasn't upgraded as a gold or a platinum and I was denied late check-out both times.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:28 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, United Premier Gold
I stayed here using points Friday - Sunday during WMC weekend, March 26-28. I was upgraded from an oasis suite to a 2 floor Mega Suite on the 6th floor with personal plunge pool, outdoor grill + terrace, and direct access to basketball and tennis courts. It was amazing. I am 2 for 2 with upgrades at this hotel. During a stay back in September, I was upgraded to an oasis suite from a standard studio.

Oh, and for those wondering about late checkout, I asked for 4PM checkout, but granted 2PM checkout.

Some more details about the suite:

- There were un-expired chicken drumsticks and cut up onions in the outdoor fridge on the terrace, by the grill. I didn't use the grill or the fridge so I left this as-is.
- The door to the tennis/bball courts on the terrace on the 7th floor was hard to close without effort. if you nonchalantly closed the door, it would stay open
- in order to turn on the water heater for the personal plunge pool, you had to call whatever/whenever and have a technician come flip a switch for you

the stay was great. it was a great base for activities involving wmc. we took advantage of the daily belvidere open bars back by the grass area next to the smaller WET pool .

Last edited by goider; Apr 4, 2010 at 11:41 am Reason: added info
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:07 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Any issues w/noise from the street/club/restaurant/outside/etc. in the Mega Suite?

Originally Posted by goider
I stayed here using points Friday - Sunday during WMC weekend, March 26-28. I was upgraded to a 2 floor Mega Suite on the 6th floor with personal plunge pool, outdoor grill + terrace, and direct access to basketball and tennis courts. It was amazing. I am 2 for 2 with upgrades at this hotel. During a stay back in September, I was put up in an Oasis suite.

Oh, and for those wondering about late checkout, I asked for 4PM checkout, but granted 2PM checkout.

- There were un-expired chicken drumsticks and cut up onions in the outdoor fridge on the terrace, by the grill. I didn't use the grill or the fridge so I left this as-is.
- The door to the tennis/bball courts on the terrace on the 7th floor was hard to close without effort. if you nonchalantly closed the door, it would stay open
- in order to turn on the water heater for the personal plunge pool, you had to call whatever/whenever and have a technician come flip a switch for you

the stay was great. it was a great base for activities involving wmc. we took advantage of the daily belvidere open bars back by the grass area next to the smaller WET pool .
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by goider
I stayed here using points Friday - Sunday during WMC weekend, March 26-28. I was upgraded to a 2 floor Mega Suite on the 6th floor with personal plunge pool, outdoor grill + terrace, and direct access to basketball and tennis courts. It was amazing. I am 2 for 2 with upgrades at this hotel. During a stay back in September, I was put up in an Oasis suite.

WOW, you are very lucky!!! I would go back if I was treated like you were. I even paid for my room with money (not points) and had food and drink in the lobby bar & restaurant (and Mr. Chow). Since I was treated poorly, this is out as a future destination for me. Maybe I should have used points?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Well, I used points and it didn't get me anywhere either so I think we can say goider has been very lucky In fact, I don't even recognise the hotel described in that post!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.