Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by daveland
I thought we established earlier in this thread that the property was considered a resort and 4pm checkout was not a stated benefit? I just checked out (lengthy review in progress) and they confirmed they are exempt from the 4pm checkout, though they gave me 1pm.
They are absolutely NOT exempt from providing the 4pm checkout, but as a resort they are able to base it on availability. In my situation, 4pm checkout was available, but only if I paid a fee. I asked the MOD if they were busy the Sunday I was checking out and specifically if my suite was needed, and was told no and it was not.

The property was trying to claim what you have stated- that there is never 4pm checkout for elites, which is incorrect- 4pm checkout is based on availability.

I too am glad to hear they are being proactive, and have to say I had a great stay and highly recommend this property.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:03 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Peatisback
They are absolutely NOT exempt from providing the 4pm checkout, but as a resort they are able to base it on availability. In my situation, 4pm checkout was available, but only if I paid a fee. I asked the MOD if they were busy the Sunday I was checking out and specifically if my suite was needed, and was told no and it was not.

The property was trying to claim what you have stated- that there is never 4pm checkout for elites, which is incorrect- 4pm checkout is based on availability.

I too am glad to hear they are being proactive, and have to say I had a great stay and highly recommend this property.

This is extremely interesting because

a) I clearly misunderstood the rules on this - and was of the impression that such a classification made it discretionary. Of course, whether a room is needed or not is not transparent to the customer making it, effectively, discretionary.

b) I was very clearly told that the day I checked out was heavy on checkouts and light on arrivals. I was further clearly told the hotel does not provide 4pm checkouts and, when I referenced the SPG Policy, was told they were a resort and exempt. Based on what I had understood about the resort classification, I dropped it there and actually believed they were playing by the rules. Since my flight was at 5:15, this was a difference of having to pack up and store my luggage (which they almost lost!) and then head back out for a couple more hours vs. staying comfortably in the room - so that is disappointing.

I wouldn't mind a Lurker clarification on all this...
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
This is extremely interesting because

a) I clearly misunderstood the rules on this - and was of the impression that such a classification made it discretionary. Of course, whether a room is needed or not is not transparent to the customer making it, effectively, discretionary.

b) I was very clearly told that the day I checked out was heavy on checkouts and light on arrivals. I was further clearly told the hotel does not provide 4pm checkouts and, when I referenced the SPG Policy, was told they were a resort and exempt. Based on what I had understood about the resort classification, I dropped it there and actually believed they were playing by the rules. Since my flight was at 5:15, this was a difference of having to pack up and store my luggage (which they almost lost!) and then head back out for a couple more hours vs. staying comfortably in the room - so that is disappointing.

I wouldn't mind a Lurker clarification on all this...
From https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...s_landing.html

4 p.m. late checkout, when available (2). 2. Subject to availability at resort and conference center hotels.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Peatisback
I suppose that clarifies my point a), but given the tough time you had getting it and my being told point blank it wasn't offered despite not being full, this brings up the question of how SPG can enforce "subject to availability" - and if the W South Beach is ever offering this benefit when not squeezed by CCS.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the place and the staff - and I'm giving it the great review it deserves regardless of this one issue - but this is a point that needs to be cleared up within this property's management.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:17 am

I've just completed my W South Beach review. 5 wonderful nights It's extensive and I have plenty of pics of both a Spectacular (which is the same as a Wonderful but higher floor/better view) and a Fantastic Suite. Comments welcome!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:46 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...b) I was very clearly told that the day I checked out was heavy on checkouts and light on arrivals. I was further clearly told the hotel does not provide 4pm checkouts and, when I referenced the SPG Policy, was told they were a resort and exempt...I wouldn't mind a Lurker clarification on all this...
They were wrong. If they can do it, they are supposed to do so.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Wonderful information. Thank you.

Perhaps the hotel coordinator or liaison with corporate can contact the property management and "re-train" them on this subtlety.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Keep in mind that the $200 can't be used at Mr. Chow. Not a huge deal for most as the food is terribly average (and even more terribly overpriced) but worth pointing out.

I had a great stay there for 7 nights in an Oasis Suite over X-Mas/New Years and our room wasnt ready until 5pm. Luggage took another hour. I felt the hotel handled it with more than adequate compensation at the time so not a huge deal. Not an excuse, but it was also at 100% capacity.

If you decide to take their offer, I wouldn't plan on your room being ready at 7. Just sayin'.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
...Perhaps the hotel coordinator or liaison with corporate can contact the property management and "re-train" them on this subtlety.
That has already been requested.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Thank you very much.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:20 pm

I just assumed that after your post, William ;-) I also wrote the GM (since I got the How Was Your Stay? email) to reinforce the point ;-)
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Just got in from the W SoBe. Loved the property.

Re:checkout - I was told that since they are a resort/condominiun they do not have to extend the 4 p.m. late check-out to Platinum members. He did give me until 1 p.m. - he said I could stay a little later but if he put any time after 1 pm in the computer I would automatically be charged a 1/2 day.

We also had to really push for an upgrade. I was told by a manager, Didier (after waiting for him for ~35 minutes), that the Oasis suite is a premium suite and no one is ever upgraded to that room type. I printed out several posts from this forum that specifically state they were upgraded to an Oasis on free nights or w/a Wonderful booking and left them for him to read. He did not respond.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alfagirl
he said I could stay a little later but if he put any time after 1 pm in the computer I would automatically be charged a 1/2 day.
Clearly a manager could override this. And, if the property should grant 4 PM late check outs to Platinums if it can, there should be a lot of people that can override this charge.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by alfagirl
...He did not respond.
LOL. Probably because he was wrong. If you send me the name of the person you spoke to and your reservation confirmation number, I will be glad to be sure that we get back to whoever it is. But, a lot of how that may turn out depends upon what the operational needs of the property were at the time of your request. If you are saying that they did not need the room for someone checking in and could have extended it, then they should be granting it. However, if they did need the room, then they are allowed to deny this benefit because they are a resort property.

Regardless, he was just wrong about the Oasis Suites not being standard suites.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Feb 4, 2010 at 1:44 pm
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:38 pm

Regardless, he was just wrong about the Oasis Suites not being standard suites.
Well, I guess then I got a second piece of misinformation on property ;-) While not Plat myself, I still chatted with the woman that checked me out and she clearly told me it is their policy to not upgrade Platinums to suites as all their suites are non-standard. She admitted many elite SPG members have been disappointed by this policy. I don't have her name but we now know of one man and one female there saying the same thing - so it certainly sounds like a top-down directive. And the crickets are chirping so far on my email to the GM about the late checkout policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.