Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
More pics

From the Fabulous Suite, facing south.

Bed:

Bed:

Shower:

Tub:

Southeast view out bedroom window:

Southeast view from patio:

Living room:

Living room:

Patio:

Kitchen:
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:59 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
They are listed as being a resort internally; however, I am waiting for verification of this to be confirmed by their being adding to the list of resorts in the T&C's. Then I will update their status in the resorts list here on Flyertalk.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Dear members,

The property has been verified to be a resort officially.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Angry

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Dear members,

The property has been verified to be a resort officially.

[email protected]

UGH!! Will "resort" be added to the name of the property?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
What criteria differentiates a W resort from a regular W hotel? A pool and a beach? Can't be a spa.

Is the W Westwood LA a resort? It is in a warm climate and has a beautiful pool.

What does this property feature to make it a resort over other Ws? Not tennis courts, no golf? Multiple restaurants?

What defines a resort to W?

What defines a resort to most people?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:31 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by nologic
What criteria differentiates a W resort from a regular W hotel? A pool and a beach? Can't be a spa.

Is the W Westwood LA a resort? It is in a warm climate and has a beautiful pool.

What does this property feature to make it a resort over other Ws? Not tennis courts, no golf? Multiple restaurants?

In order to keep this thread on topic (I'm not trying play moderator), perhaps this question can be moved to the following thread and discussion continued there.

Who determines that a hotel is a resort? (Westin Casuarina LV rant)
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by 1stClassTravelGirl
Had a major altercation... I was on call for work on Saturday so when we decided to go out to the beach I left my iPhone on the credenza so it would ring before kicking to voicemail (horrible reception in the rooms BTW).
After we searched the entire room
the head of security basically said it was my fault i didn't put the phone in the safe provided (this sent me into tears!)...
Is this how it works then these days??. If you are on call, but decide to go to the beach and to leave your phone on the credenza rather than in the safe , and then when you come back and do not see your phone where you left it, and search the whole room to realize it had been removed, you get authorization from the head of security to buy and be reimbursed for a new phone? Or is this just a part of the concerted effort to damage a reputation by a competitor
Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by 1stClassTravelGirl
Had a major altercation... I was on call for work on Saturday so when we decided to go out to the beach I left my iPhone on the credenza so it would ring before kicking to voicemail (horrible reception in the rooms BTW).
And just what would you have done if "work" called while you were on the the beach and your phone was in the room? I have never heard of that kind of "on call" before.

Also, I had this terrible feeling this property was going to be listed as a resort. This truly sucks eggs.

Last edited by CNWO4LIFE; Jul 25, 2009 at 5:07 am
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:39 pm

I'm guessing that this is considered a "resort" based on the following information on the "Special Conditions"

Late Checkout Policy

A late checkout fee of 50% of the nightly room rate will be charged after 2pm, after which a charge of one full night will apply. All late checkouts are subject to availability.

Though nowhere else it's listed. Good thing I checked this thread before making a booking, have some early afternoon plans and a 4pm is almost necessary. Guess I'll be looking somewhere else!
Old Jul 26, 2009, 4:36 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Didn't know that Nelly Furtado has a permanent residence in the W Hotel :-)
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
UGH!! Will "resort" be added to the name of the property?
Hello CE,

Greetings.

Don't think the word will be added to the official name of this property but William will be adding this property to the list mentioned in Sandiego1K's previous post.

[email protected]

Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by nologic

Hi nologic,

I am afraid I do not any answers to the questions you have brought up.

But it would be the pre-opening team for every property that decides in the beginning whether a property is a hotel or a resort.

[email protected]

Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmm. tried looking up 2201 Collins Avenue to look at condo closings, but it just brought up what looked like lot transfer to developer.

anyone know the residential address theyre using?

Originally Posted by Andie007
Didn't know that Nelly Furtado has a permanent residence in the W Hotel :-)
gilbert arenas' setai condo is under his own name.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hmm. tried looking up 2201 Collins Avenue to look at condo closings, but it just brought up what looked like lot transfer to developer.

anyone know the residential address theyre using?

gilbert arenas' setai condo is under his own name.
Serious question? Does anyone really care that those people live there or not?

The above address is what is on the marketing materials
www.wsouthbeachresidences.com
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most use corporations/etc for title, but would be interesting to know whose unit you are in, or who your neighbors might be.

also curious how closings are going.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Thumbs up Stay report

So here goes...used 2 free weekend night awards to stay here last weekend and had a fantastic stay.

My experience-
Checked the reservation on SPG.com on Friday before going to the airport and I noticed my Friday night reservation was already pulled from SPG.com and my Saturday reservation showed I was pre-upgraded to an 1151sq foot Oasis Suite. Not trying to get my hopes up (but still extremely excited) I called to let them know I was getting in late..aka please don't give my upgrade away!

Arrived and was greeted by several very friendly attendants. Front desk check in was a breeze- no problems at all about having 2 separate reservations. He confirmed the suite upgrade and said "you're really going to enjoy your upgraded room". Bingo! I asked about late checkout on Sunday and he said a manager wasn't there so I'd have to ask on Saturday. Oh well, I knew I was going to fight an uphill battle there, so I figured I'd put it off until Sunday and enjoy my suite. Lobby area is nice with requisite trance music and W fragrance.

The suite was spacious and well apointed. 2 balconies, separate living room, full kitchen, washer dryer, fanastic bathroom with deep soaking tub and bedroom with a wall of closets and tons of hangers (hate when there are only 4 hangers!). Surprisingly, there were very little signature W trademarks i.e. no oversized plum pillows on the bed or neon nightstand tables.

Separate living room we never used

Full kitchen

Balcony off living room with ocean view

The pool area was nice, but has far too few lounge chairs. I'd recommend getting out there by 10 or 11am in order to get a chair. Staff was very friendly and they'd dress your chaise in fresh towels for you before you sat down which was nice. Our waitress was phenomenally friendly and very knowledgable. The pool staff is excellent and take their jobs very seriously. Apparently there are several world renowned mixologists on staff at the W and I can attest to their skills While my room was free I definitely generated a good amount of revenue for the property at the pool bar. Drinks were silly expensive and tax and 20% gratuity are included, so you pay $20 for a mixed drink. Insane, but the drinks are delicious- I especially recommend the Sunday Morning Remedy which is their take on a bloody mary with delicious wasabi crusted olives. We had lunch at the pool one day and I can truly say the Kobe burger was unbelievable and the pork belly W Club was a close second. All sandwiches served w/ a side of truffle fries which are also delicious.
Pool menu

Cabanas and mattresses for "rent"..though not many people seemed to be occupying them

Attached to the main hotel are 2 story condos? with hot tubs

Sunday AM I called and asked about Plat late checkout and they confirmed the property was a resort and said the latest was 12pm. I asked nicely for any later since I had an 8pm flight and they allowed me to stay until 1pm, which was nice. Considering they gave me a $1k suite for 2 nights for $0, I didn't have too much ground to stand on

The crowd at the hotel was definitely mixed- young model-ish looking people, several NFL players and their entourages and some families. The pool was a perfect temp infinity edge and it was a pretty tame scene. One person next to us was complaining because the W FLL apparently has a much rowdier scene with DJ. I'm personally glad it wasn't a frat party.

Apparently there were a good amount of celebs there last weekend because the hotel had an Entourage party. They have a branding alliance with the HBO show and even have a 3 bedroom $7k/night poolside bungalow named the "Entourage Bungalow"- equipped with all the toys from the show. Adrian Grenier and a lot of other cast members were there.. I didn't see anyone, but met people at the hotel who partied it up with them.

Location was good- theres a Walgreens and Avis right at 22nd and Collins. While its at the far end of SoBe, I like how its not right in the center of the craziness. Cab from hotel to FLL was $74 (or $80 all included, using Go Shuttle car service which I recommend).

That about wraps it up..THANK YOU SPG for really hooking it up!!

PS Met a SPG plat at the pool who had an ambassador (I don't) and he was not upgraded to an Oasis Suite or given later checkout.. YMMV

Last edited by thepointsguy; Jul 28, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.