Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:57 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by daveland
Well, I guess then I got a second piece of misinformation on property ;-) While not Plat myself, I still chatted with the woman that checked me out and she clearly told me it is their policy to not upgrade Platinums to suites as all their suites are non-standard. She admitted many elite SPG members have been disappointed by this policy. I don't have her name but we now know of one man and one female there saying the same thing - so it certainly sounds like a top-down directive. And the crickets are chirping so far on my email to the GM about the late checkout policy.
LOL. Yes, I would say that our work here is not completely done.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by daveland
Well, I guess then I got a second piece of misinformation on property ;-) While not Plat myself, I still chatted with the woman that checked me out and she clearly told me it is their policy to not upgrade Platinums to suites as all their suites are non-standard. She admitted many elite SPG members have been disappointed by this policy. I don't have her name but we now know of one man and one female there saying the same thing - so it certainly sounds like a top-down directive. And the crickets are chirping so far on my email to the GM about the late checkout policy.
Very interesting- I have several pre-stay e-mails from Welcome staff very clearly indicating they upgrade Platinum members to Fantastic, Oasis, and even Mega Suites (though I think the Mega Suite claim was an error). This was reiterated at check in when I there was a systems error (my status was incorrectly showing as Gold in their system) and an upgrade was refused, but was quickly fixed with a call to the Platinum Concierge.

I just never can understand why some properties don't try to make good impressions on the brand's most loyal customers- With the higher rate structure in place the property could easily garner repeat guests. I think they have something to learn from their colleagues up the road at the Diplomat...
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
LOL. Probably because he was wrong. If you send me the name of the person you spoke to and your reservation confirmation number, I will be glad to be sure that we get back to whoever it is. But, a lot of how that may turn out depends upon what the operational needs of the property were at the time of your request. If you are saying that they did not need the room for someone checking in and could have extended it, then they should be granting it. However, if they did need the room, then they are allowed to deny this benefit because they are a resort property.

Regardless, he was just wrong about the Oasis Suites not being standard suites.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Thanks, I'll email you that info.
Re: the upgrade, there were rooms available for the length of our stay. We were shown at least 5 room types to choose from: Oasis, Mega, Wonderful, Fabulous, Fantastic. When we chose the Mega, we were told that we would have to pay extra for it.
Re: check-out, they were not sold out and did not need the room but the hotel 'never extends late check-out past 1 p.m.'

Last edited by alfagirl; Feb 6, 2010 at 11:07 am Reason: missing some words
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:22 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Does anyone have the email address of the GM for this property?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I stayed at this hotel back in May and had several of the same issues noted here. I was denied a late check-out even though I could see the two rooms next to mine were empty and totally clean. When I complained, they first told me they were sold out, then when I said I can see two clean, empty rooms right next to me and I can book 8 rooms for tonight I was told they didn't have to give late check-outs and if I stayed they would charge me the nightly rate.

It was their loss as I was planning to sit around the beach all day, buying overpriced food and alcohol.

It really turned me off, because the hotel was so great and our service was exceptional up to that point as well. All they needed to do was to be nice and this would have become my preferred beach hotel in the US. Hopefully they get the issues fixed, because I really enjoyed the property.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:20 am

Programs: SPG, Wyndham, AA
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I stayed at this hotel back in May and had several of the same issues noted here. I was denied a late check-out even though I could see the two rooms next to mine were empty and totally clean. When I complained, they first told me they were sold out, then when I said I can see two clean, empty rooms right next to me and I can book 8 rooms for tonight I was told they didn't have to give late check-outs and if I stayed they would charge me the nightly rate.

It was their loss as I was planning to sit around the beach all day, buying overpriced food and alcohol.

It really turned me off, because the hotel was so great and our service was exceptional up to that point as well. All they needed to do was to be nice and this would have become my preferred beach hotel in the US. Hopefully they get the issues fixed, because I really enjoyed the property.
It's amazing how a property can execute excellence on 99 points, but if a guest doesn't get their way on the last one it's over with them. C'mon, serious?!? Even though the rooms next to you were clean doesn't mean they weren't booked. Check-in isn't usually till 3pm. If there's 50 checking out, and 50 checking in, there is no room for error and they need everyone out. Next time you arrive and want to check in, but they tell you you're room isn't ready, don't get mad because some guy just like you doesn't want to check out on time.

I don't think a property would claim to be sold out if they weren't.

Get off your high horse.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:41 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by upgrade.me
Then you obviously have not been around here for very long. Many properties like to use this line and will stick by it until you offer to pay for another night, late checkout, or upgrade, then suddenly it becomes "not so sold out" as evidently was the case here.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
It's amazing how a property can execute excellence on 99 points, but if a guest doesn't get their way on the last one it's over with them. C'mon, serious?!?
Yes, serious. This (in my opinion) is one of the best benefits of being an SPG elite and when it becomes a hassle we get frustrated.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:59 pm

It's amazing how a property can execute excellence on 99 points, but if a guest doesn't get their way on the last one it's over with them. C'mon, serious?!? Even though the rooms next to you were clean doesn't mean they weren't booked. Check-in isn't usually till 3pm. If there's 50 checking out, and 50 checking in, there is no room for error and they need everyone out. Next time you arrive and want to check in, but they tell you you're room isn't ready, don't get mad because some guy just like you doesn't want to check out on time.

Get off your high horse.

If you would have read my post in its entirety you would have noticed I mentioned that I was able to book the maximum number of rooms(8) in my room category for that night. So YES I was POSITIVE they were not sold out.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Just because you could book 8 rooms does not mean that the hotel was not sold out. Like airlines, hotels overbook and end up walking people if everybody shows up. Giving you an extra night could very well mean that some other person gets walked to another property. Sometimes, a hotel gets lucky and the no shows exactly equal out the amount of oversells. Other times it does not work out and you end up having extra rooms or have no rooms at all for the last few guest checking in.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Just because you could book 8 rooms does not mean that the hotel was not sold out. Like airlines, hotels overbook and end up walking people if everybody shows up. Giving you an extra night could very well mean that some other person gets walked to another property. Sometimes, a hotel gets lucky and the no shows exactly equal out the amount of oversells. Other times it does not work out and you end up having extra rooms or have no rooms at all for the last few guest checking in.

I know it doesn't guarantee 100% that they weren't sold out, but you weren't there and trust me they were not sold out. It wasn't just my room preference that was available it was almost all of them. But you're right, I was wrong and looking for things to complain about. I guess everyone in this thread saying they were denied late check out was also wrong.

Hey everyone, just so you know, they actually were sold out and they just had lots of rooms available in hopes that they could oversell those nights. Maybe if it was a four points, but I don't think 5-star hotels make a habit out of overselling nights. That's the last thing you'd want to do with guests paying $500+/night and would likely guarantee they would never come back.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
LOL. Yes, I would say that our work here is not completely done.
I would say you are right

I was also given the same (mis)information as daveland on an otherwise very enjoyable recent stay. We had booked a Spectacular Studio on points (21,000 a night) in order to guarantee a room on a higher floor away from the noisy bar area which might happen with the basic Wonderful Studio (20,000 points). The lady who checked us in was friendly and confirmed suites were available, including ocean facing suites, but that Platinum upgrades to suites were not allowed at W South Beach so the best "available" room was of the type we were already in. Without mentioning Flyertalk, I said I had heard of other Platinums getting suites and she responded that they might have been mistaken because "all our rooms are great, so perhaps they thought they had a suite". Having just arrived from Europe on holiday, I had neither the energy nor the inclination to make a scene there and then but I did mention that I thought the policy was disappointing.

I also had the problem with late checkout because of the "resort" status. Departing on a Thursday, I was told the very latest I could leave the room was 11am. After a little pushing, I was given a 12 noon checkout as "a special onetime courtesy".

As with others who have posted earlier, I will be taking up the GM's emailed invitation to supply feedback!

As for the property itself, it was pretty good. The setting is amazing, as is the decor. The pool area is surprisingly small but well staffed; during our stay, a couple of weeks ago, there were almost as many staff as sunloungers and they were all friendly and attentive. Except for one concierge, who (perhaps understandably) decided that chatting to a blonde aquaintance with a pneumatic cleavage was more interesting than offering me restaurant recommendations, there was none of the attitude I have come across at other W Hotels. As others have noted, there is a discretionary 18 per cent tip already added to the bill for all food and drink at this property, so take care when paying. There is a charge for sunloungers on the beach (I did not ask how much though, sorry) but there is plenty of plain beach to enjoy if you care to bring down a towel.

One big advantage of this property is that even the basic rooms are large by W standards. You can see our room from door to window here. There was plenty of wardrobe space and the bathroom was cavernous. Puzzlingly, my fantastic shower contained a wooden crate; I presume this is to provide young and energetic guests with some traction during shower sex; for me it was a welcome opportunity just to have a rest and a sit down

The kitchenette, which had a microwave and a coffee maker plus Villeroy & Boch crockery and cutlery, proved very useful. Combined with the Walgreens directly across the street, there is no need to partake of the hotel's grossly overpriced breakfast.

Our room did have an ocean view of sorts; it faced the north side, which does not receive direct sun, so better to be on the south side if you can. All rooms appear to have a baclony of some kind but ours was described on the website as "private" whereas in fact it is entirely overlooked by neighbouring rooms, as you can see below. Of course one doesn't expect 100 per cent privacy but there was nothing but a waist-high panel of glass separating us from those staying next door; it would be impossible to do anything private or have a conversation, however quiet, that could not be overheard. I would liken it to being on adjacent tables at a restaurant. Not a complaint, but something to be aware of.

W South Beach Spectacular Studio 'private' baclony

Overall, we enjoyed the hotel and it is certainly a building Starwood should be proud of. However, I could not see quite what made it Category 6 or what allowed it to charge from $700 a night. The W Barcelona has a more spectacular setting for less than half the price, but I suppose $$$ is part of the whole South Beach experience. If this hotel ever decided to offer cash and points awards (currently not available, according to customer service) then that would be the way to go for future stays.

Last edited by ajamieson; Mar 1, 2010 at 8:13 am
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajamieson

Platinum upgrades to suites were not allowed at W South Beach so the best "available" room was of the type we were already in.

As with others who have posted earlier, I will be taking up the GM's emailed invitation to supply feedback!
Instead of emailing/working with the hotel to solve service issues (denial of Platinum benefits), I suggest lodging a complaint/file with Starwood Corporate Customer Care. I think this route will get hotel management to "sit up and take notice" more effectively than simply emailing the GM.

I believe the properties are dinged (possibly even monetarily) each time a file is created by corporate. While it would be nice to work with each property (and I take this route in most cases if it is a one-off problem), shouldn't habitual offenders be punished eventually? (Even if there were no upgrades available, the poster was clearly given misinformation.)

Seems like hotel management has been told of the Platinum benefits in the past and has chosen to not filter this information down to front-line staff.

Just a thought...

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Mar 1, 2010 at 9:10 am
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Instead of emailing/working with the hotel to solve service issues (denial of Platinum benefits), I suggest lodging a complaint/file with Starwood Corporate Customer Care. I think this route will get hotel management to "sit up and take notice" more effectively than simply emailing the GM.

I believe the properties are dinged (possibly even monetarily) each time a file is created by corporate. While it would be nice to work with each property (and I take this route in most cases if it is a one-off problem), shouldn't habitual offenders be punished eventually? Seems like hotel management has been told of the Platinum benefits in the past and has chosen to not filter this information down to front-line staff.

Just a thought...
Good idea- and at 700 USD a night the GHM property down the street is another option (not Starwood).
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajamieson
I also had the problem with late checkout because of the "resort" status. Departing on a Thursday, I was told the very latest I could leave the room was 11am. After a little pushing, I was given a 12 noon checkout as "a special onetime courtesy".
I tend to believe this COULD be possible. Given the setting (South Beach), wouldn't the property be completely packed on the weekends? I would think Friday and Saturday nights would be their ultra-busy times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.