W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Old Jul 9, 09, 11:23 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,645
Arrow W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

I was there for the opening and will post in more detail along with some pix later but here is a quick rundown:

The hotel did a soft opening so they did not sell all of the rooms even though they showed sold out. The spa was not yet open, nor was Mr Chows restaurant

Service: There was plenty of staff everywhere and they were very friendly There were a couple instances of tentativness with some of the employees but this is to be expected.

Housekeeping: Room was made up promptly the first day, they didn't come the second day.

Room: Huge. There was a king bed and a living room with couch, coffee table and desk. Plenty of closet and drawer space for you cloths. Bose stereo and 2 flat screens. Bathroom was also very large with a 2 sink basins, larger shower area. The toilet is seperate with a door so more than one person can use the bathroom. There was a large balcony with padded patio furniture One thing that is annoying is the shell chandelier. It is like a wind chime and the airconditioner flow hits it, making sleep difficult.

Food: Pretty good but very expensive. Same thing with drinks; very pricey.

Pool: There is an infinity pool surrounded by padded lounge chairs. The pool attendants will set up the chairs with towels and pillows. Beds at the pool can be rented for $150 and cabanas for $350. Bar and food service is available at the pool. The service was very good. One glitch was when the computers went down for a little while on the second day. All of the orders had to be put in manually and it slowed things down a bit. One downside to the pool are is the size; I don't think it is big enough and getting chairs may be a problem.

I'll post more, but if you have any questions, just post them.

Last edited by outtolunch; Jul 10, 09 at 12:39 pm
outtolunch is offline  
Old Jul 10, 09, 11:34 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 40° 41' 45" N - 74° 10' 18" W
Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Posts: 18,784
Im staying at the W tonight, pending any EWR , I should have some pics posted by tomorrow.

Last edited by rolov; Aug 21, 09 at 2:52 pm
rolov is offline  
Old Jul 10, 09, 11:57 am
  #3  
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SE
Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Posts: 660
I have a few pictures. How can I post them here.
The Weekly Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 10, 09, 12:24 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 40° 41' 45" N - 74° 10' 18" W
Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Posts: 18,784
You need to upload them to a photo hosting site like FLICKR or Photobucket, or Smugmug. After you upload the photos you can use the image icon to embed them or just post a link to them.
rolov is offline  
Old Jul 10, 09, 12:55 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,645
Some pics

http://s574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/candc_photo/
outtolunch is offline  
Old Jul 10, 09, 1:10 pm
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Posts: 10,869

Thanks for the pics. They brought a smile to Cheap Elites adorable face!

However, I'm not impressed. I guess I need to see the place in person.

Not sure what type of room you're in since your photos don't have descriptions. Is that considered an upgrade? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but the picture from the balcony, is that the pool of the adjacent property?

Last edited by KENNECTED; Jul 10, 09 at 1:17 pm
KENNECTED is offline  
Old Jul 10, 09, 3:03 pm
  #7  
Used to be bulldoggolfer05
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: São Paulo, BR/Miami Beach, FL/NYC/DXB
Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Posts: 2,294
Booked a wonderful studio here the other night and was only upgraded one room category to a spectacular studio (exact same room, higher floor) despite all types of suites being available. Front desk refused to upgrade beyond that. As I have a condo a bit further down in South Beach I didn't bother with arguing or calling CCS, and instead just said never mind, but be forewarned that this property shows signs early on of not honoring elite benefits (at least in my case). YMMV.

The W FLL on the other hand upgraded from the basic room category to a Fantastic Flat (yes Flat, not Suite) however I didn't get the opportunity to stay there as something came up last minute .
NDDomer86 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 09, 5:20 pm
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Posts: 10,869
Question

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05 View Post
Booked a wonderful studio here the other night and was only upgraded one room category to a spectacular studio (exact same room, higher floor) despite all types of suites being available. Front desk refused to upgrade beyond that. As I have a condo a bit further down in South Beach I didn't bother with arguing or calling CCS, and instead just said never mind, but be forewarned that this property shows signs early on of not honoring elite benefits (at least in my case). YMMV.

The W FLL on the other hand upgraded from the basic room category to a Fantastic Flat (yes Flat, not Suite) however I didn't get the opportunity to stay there as something came up last minute .
How can you say this, with 100% accuracy, when we don't know what suites are designatied as select standard or if they (or any other rooms/suites) are even ready to be occupied?? They could be showing available, but not yet released into inventory. As discussed here numerous times, there are many things behind the scenes that we are not aware of that could cause a room/suite to show "available" when it really isn't.
KENNECTED is offline  
Old Jul 10, 09, 5:48 pm
  #9  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 29,559
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite View Post
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]
.. brought a smile to Cheap Elites adorable face!
This is meaningless without a picture.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Jul 10, 09, 8:11 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 40° 41' 45" N - 74° 10' 18" W
Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Posts: 18,784
Oasis Suite


Set Here
rolov is offline  
Old Jul 10, 09, 8:23 pm
  #11  
Used to be bulldoggolfer05
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: São Paulo, BR/Miami Beach, FL/NYC/DXB
Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Posts: 2,294
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite View Post
How can you say this, with 100% accuracy, when we don't know what suites are designatied as select standard or if they (or any other rooms/suites) are even ready to be occupied?? They could be showing available, but not yet released into inventory. As discussed here numerous times, there are many things behind the scenes that we are not aware of that could cause a room/suite to show "available" when it really isn't.
Because I was told if I wanted a suite I could book one? Not really sure what's with the 'tude as I even said at least in my case this was the situation .
NDDomer86 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 09, 8:28 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 40° 41' 45" N - 74° 10' 18" W
Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Posts: 18,784
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite View Post

Thanks for the pics. They brought a smile to Cheap Elites adorable face!

However, I'm not impressed. I guess I need to see the place in person.

Not sure what type of room you're in since your photos don't have descriptions. Is that considered an upgrade? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but the picture from the balcony, is that the pool of the adjacent property?
The pool you see is next door, It may be the Gansvoort Hotel, because Im looking at my balcony on the other side and I see an empty lot.

My pics are from an Oasis Suite I got as an upgrade.
rolov is offline  
Old Jul 11, 09, 1:34 am
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Posts: 10,869
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
This is meaningless without a picture.
Touché! LOL

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05 View Post
Because I was told if I wanted a suite I could book one? Not really sure what's with the 'tude as I even said at least in my case this was the situation .
no 'tude what so ever, just stating there may be other issues. Could be that all select standard suites were unavailable for your stay.
KENNECTED is offline  
Old Jul 11, 09, 6:16 am
  #14  
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STR/SYD/SMF
Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Posts: 13,945
The pics look very nice. Exactly the cool white design I was hoping for. Can't wait to check it out and then hopefully with an upgrade.
DownUnderFlyer is offline  
Old Jul 11, 09, 6:31 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: EWR
Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Posts: 527
Any idea when Mr Chow is opening?
dmbfan222 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread