Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ramalama8
By the way, the plat amenity offered to me was either the standard 500 points or an in-room movie. That sucked.

Anyone different?
Why would that suck? That's the platinum amenity. It's 500 points and then two other mundane things at 99% of all properties.

Just check the 500 point box and move on....
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Why would that suck? That's the platinum amenity. It's 500 points and then two other mundane things at 99% of all properties.

Just check the 500 point box and move on....
You're right, I did take the 500 points, but I guess I was expecting something better at the W South Beach. I mean, come on - it's the party hotel in the party place. How about something unique?

IDK, I guess I should have known better.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Peatisback
You would think that with the supposed large number of Platinum guests that visit this property they would have a better handle on the SPG rules. Very disappointing...
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what rule(s) are they not following?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what rule(s) are they not following?
What you are missing is that the hotel is posting something that is factually incorrect.

According to SPG rules, resort/conference properties do not have to offer Platinums a 4 PM late checkout if it's not available. But, if it is available, they should offer it.

On the property's website, management gave a blanket statement saying that since they are a resort, 4 PM late checkouts are not available.

Is this just wording/semantics? Perhaps. But, if the hotel happens to have low capacity and can offer 4 PM late checkout to Platinum guests, it should.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:32 am

How about we book a reservation and see what happens? Until then its all words.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:00 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...They have to grant it "if available," no?....
That would be SPG's understanding of the matter.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
What you are missing is that the hotel is posting something that is factually incorrect.

According to SPG rules, resort/conference properties do not have to offer Platinums a 4 PM late checkout if it's not available. But, if it is available, they should offer it.

On the property's website, management gave a blanket statement saying that since they are a resort, 4 PM late checkouts are not available.

Is this just wording/semantics? Perhaps. But, if the hotel happens to have low capacity and can offer 4 PM late checkout to Platinum guests, it should.
I did receive a 4PM checkout (with no hassles) on a recent stay. The wording on the website, however, is definitely a little misleading.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
That would be SPG's understanding of the matter.
Thanks so much, William.

Is there any way you can nudge them to "update" their website to reflect SPG's thinking on the matter?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:33 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...Is there any way you can nudge them to "update" their website to reflect SPG's thinking on the matter?
Me, personally? Heavens, no. But, some other interested parties might be able to.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I think there tends to be some confusion on rooms here, as well as on upgrades at this property, so let me see if I can help out. I have spent many weeks at this property over the past 5 months and have seen many "upgrades". I put this in quotes because you truly need to understand the room type differences.

A Spectacular Studio is considered an upgrade, but this is the same as a wonderful room or whatever they call it, except it is on a higher floor (I think 6 or higher but don't quote me). These are freely given out to plats and I assume golds as well and should be the minimum expected, but also potentially the maximum expected.

At this hotel, they still usually only believe in moving Plats up to a Fantastic Suite which is essentially a Spectacular Studio with maybe 50 more sq ft and a door between the living space and the room. However, they will infrequently grant great upgrades. I have been lucky enough to be in their more expansive suites and they are incredible, but hard to come by. I would suggest continuing to email the GM as George is fairly responsive and generous assuming the day(s) in question are not high capacity.

Best of luck to you!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Care to elaborate, William?

I had a fair amount of trouble at this property about a year ago with upgrades and late checkout. After a lot of help from William and Corporate Customer Service I was able to get everything resolved. It just took a lot of time and considering it was supposed to be a quick weekend vacation, more hassle than I could stand.

After reading about the website, I decided to contact the property to ask them if they really meant that they gave late check out based on availability. The response I got was basically 'we're a resort, we don't have to give late check-out'. Not satisfied, I wrote back asking to have the GM contact me.

I also filed a complaint with Corporate Customer Service (the person I spoke with agreed that the wording on the website was not in line with the SPG terms/conditions).

This afternoon, I received a call from Albert Mertz, who said he is the GM. We had a cordial conversation, and he told me that the property tries to give late check outs when available, but often they are at capacity. I told him that while I understand and appreciate that late check outs are based on availability, the wording of the website and attitude of the staff does not convey that message. He seemed like a nice enough person and asked I get in touch before my upcoming stay.

The big question remains- how does one know if late check out is truly 'unavailable' if they say it is? If I can go on SPG.com and the room type I am in is available for sale, should late check-out be available? Kind of like seeing suites for sale at check-in when the front desk says upgrades are not available.....

I'd still like to see the wording on the website changed, and time will tell how they handle these types of requests in the future. I just hope that my next stay goes smoothly.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Me, personally? Heavens, no. But, some other interested parties might be able to.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Care to elaborate, William?
I am not William, but I have a quick thought...

The big question remains- how does one know if late check out is truly 'unavailable' if they say it is? If I can go on SPG.com and the room type I am in is available for sale, should late check-out be available? Kind of like seeing suites for sale at check-in when the front desk says upgrades are not available.....
Clearly, the problem with a few of the SPG Platinum perks is transparency. How will you know if a suite is cleaned? You don't. How do you know if a late check-out is really available (at a resort)? You don't.

You just have to trust front desk personnel. That's a scary thought.

What airlines have done with upgrades is install gate monitors that show upgrade lists. Continental even gives this information on its mobile site: pda.continental.com.

I think it will be years, decades, centuries (?) before Starwood has any type of transparency technology (given the fact that SPG50 can't be booked online...and the general disaster that is spg.com and mobile spg.com). I am a customer of Starwood and Hyatt and, clearly, technology investment is not exactly at the top of either company's investment lists. Both company's websites stink.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Both company's websites stink.
Then do not even think of taking a peek at Hiltons site. They are the worst of all.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Then do not even think of taking a peek at Hiltons site. They are the worst of all.
Not if you like to enter your number and pin multiple times every 5 minutes- then Hilton is the best of all
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Not if you like to enter your number and pin multiple times every 5 minutes- then Hilton is the best of all
LOL No kidding!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.