Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by holtju2
Wouldn't take kids there. Hookers by the pool late at night etc.
I figured that might be the case. South Florida sadly lacking in other options and MIA is a convenient port of call on an otherwise complex trip. But certainly get the point and maybe this just ain't the right place
Old May 10, 2011, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by holtju2
Wouldn't take kids there. Hookers by the pool late at night etc.
Not sure if this is really an issue for 7-year-olds sleeping in their room with their parents, but I do agree this property adult oriented.

ma91pmh, a better option is the DIP in Hollywood if time & logistics permit.

Cheers,
Old May 10, 2011, 6:09 am
Suspended

South Beach isn't the best kids-friendly place. But, isn't there a Marriott all the way on one side of the beach (near Joe's Stone Crab, etc.) that might be better?
Old May 23, 2011, 5:37 pm

Here's my impression for a 5 night stay at a PLT.

Got a killer upgrade on a very busy week. There were tons of platinum members at this property and upgrades are hard to come by. Flashing PLT status does not help as I observed with several people during checkin. What does help is being really nice and friendly. I generally like the staff but there are a few that don't meet the W standard.

F&B prices are crazy but you get used to it. I still cannot believe that I dropped several hundred at the wall bar.. urgh ! I love the fact that most rooms have a kitchenett so you can have a simple bfast and reheat leftovers if needed.

Checkout was not a good experiences. I called the day before and asked for a late checkout and they told me they would get back to me the day off in the morning. It was my fault I overslept but I didn't get a call from them and when I called at about 10am asking about the late checkout request I felt like I was talking to the mob and they wanted me out by 11. Getting a noon extension required extensive begging . I think they could have prepared guests better.

Overall I loved the property and staff and would stay there again, even at 20K SPG points a night !
Old May 23, 2011, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sunil
Here's my impression for a 5 night stay at a PLT.

Got a killer upgrade on a very busy week.
A "killer" upgrade on a five night stay is certainly impressive. I always thought it was easier to get an upgrade on shorter stays.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:59 am

Cool How to get upgrade at W South Beach?

Originally Posted by ekert
Of the dozen or so times I've stayed here, I'd say half of the time I've received an upgrade with a separate living room, full kitchen, 'movie room', giant balcony, etc. The other half of the time a smaller upgrade, and only once a regular standard room.
What's the trick to get a really good upgrade at this property? Staying here this weekend and have a studio booked and want to upgrade to a 2/3 bedroom suite. Any suggestions?
Old May 25, 2011, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by makeyourtravelssavvy
What's the trick to get a really good upgrade at this property? Staying here this weekend and have a studio booked and want to upgrade to a 2/3 bedroom suite. Any suggestions?
My suggestions:
  1. Familiarize yourself with the SPG program upgrade rules/published benefits. Is a 2/3 bedroom suite a part of the Platinum upgrade program/pool at this property? [Yes, on occasion, people are upgraded above and beyond he published benefit, but never assume.]
  2. Book what you really want and don't rely on an upgrade
  3. Make a regular booking then use X number of points to upgrade into the room type you really want.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
I'll tell you the super secret way, and only way you will get it, don't tell too many people though: Pay For It.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:26 am

LOL...very funny! But what's a good upgrade if it's not free?
Old May 25, 2011, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
My suggestions:
  1. Familiarize yourself with the SPG program upgrade rules/published benefits. Is a 2/3 bedroom suite a part of the Platinum upgrade program/pool at this property? [Yes, on occasion, people are upgraded above and beyond he published benefit, but never assume.]
  2. Book what you really want and don't rely on an upgrade
  3. Make a regular booking then use X number of points to upgrade into the room type you really want.
Thanks buddy! Well I'm headed there tomorrow...hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones that get the upgrade....
Old May 25, 2011, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
LOL...very funny! But what's a good upgrade if it's not free?

Nothing but you're talking bout a 2/3 bedroom upgrade. What is your Elite status level? Are you expectations, based on the information in this thread, in the right range to state, "...and want to upgrade to a 2/3 bedroom suite."?

Again, nothing wrong with wanting or expecting an upgrade. However, is it reasonable to think that a 2/3 bedroom suite is an obtainable upgrade, via the normal upgrade procedures at this hotel on a holiday weekend?

This is why I, and obviously others, suggest that one books the room type they REALLY want and/or use point to upgrade to that type of room.

Old May 25, 2011, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED

Nothing but you're talking bout a 2/3 bedroom upgrade. What is your Elite status level? Are you expectations, based on the information in this thread, in the right range to state, "...and want to upgrade to a 2/3 bedroom suite."?

Again, nothing wrong with wanting or expecting an upgrade. However, is it reasonable to think that a 2/3 bedroom suite is an obtainable upgrade, via the normal upgrade procedures at this hotel on a holiday weekend?

This is why I, and obviously others, suggest that one books the room type they REALLY want and/or use point to upgrade to that type of room.

Well I am platinum, and I acknowledge a 2/3 bedroom upgrade might be a stretch. But stranger things have happened. I may check-in at just the right time and get a really cool manager/receptionist...you never know.....plus I figure if I aim high and miss, i'll still hit something good!

thanks for the advice tho.
Old May 25, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
Also, to increase your chances of an upgrade, either don't check in early, or check in early and offer to be flexible on being placed into a upgraded suite that might not be available until later in the day.

This property has a lot of requests for late check outs as well as early arrivals, and housekeeping is cleaning suites throughout the day even into the evening (larger suites take longer to clean).

If you are friendly at check-in and tell them that you'd be happy to wait until later in the day to get into your room if it means that they could put you in something a bit nicer, you might be pleasantly surprised what you're able to get.

To agree with others though, this is not guaranteed, particularly in periods where there are lots of other Platinums on the property and especially during periods of free weekend/resort night redemption. If you NEED a larger suite upgrade, confirm it ahead of time using points.
Old May 25, 2011, 1:49 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by 76toPHL
Also, to increase your chances of an upgrade, either don't check in early, or check in early and offer to be flexible on being placed into a upgraded suite that might not be available until later in the day.

This property has a lot of requests for late check outs as well as early arrivals, and housekeeping is cleaning suites throughout the day even into the evening (larger suites take longer to clean).

If you are friendly at check-in and tell them that you'd be happy to wait until later in the day to get into your room if it means that they could put you in something a bit nicer, you might be pleasantly surprised what you're able to get.

To agree with others though, this is not guaranteed, particularly in periods where there are lots of other Platinums on the property and especially during periods of free weekend/resort night redemption. If you NEED a larger suite upgrade, confirm it ahead of time using points.
Thanks for the tips. i'll let you guys know how things turn out tomorrow!
Old May 26, 2011, 4:21 pm

Just booked this for August and got:

Please note: due to the high demand for rooms, we are currently unable to offer room upgrades upon check-in.

Sounds like a violation to SPG policies of upgrading plats to the best available room or select standard suite at check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.