Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Aloft Bangkok: Now the only SPG hotel in Bangkok that I've not stayed at. I was going to, but went to check it out beforehand. It's literally the centrepoint of Soi 11 Sukhumvit, which is one of the big nightlife areas and prostitute hangouts of Bangkok. The hotel is co-located with Levels which is the dominant nightclub in the area. As a single man I couldn't walk around the area un-molested, so decided to give the place a miss.
Mostly, I agree with your comments; however, on this one, we're so far off that I wanted to reply.

I've stayed in the Aloft numerous times. I find it to be an excellent hotel for what it is. It's not SGS; nor is it even a 5* property. It's a budget option. However, in my experience, the staff is invariably both friendly and efficient. Status recognition has been 100%; checkin staff always thanks me for being a loyal Starwood customer and mention my current status level. Rooms are standard Aloft rooms and both clean and kept in good condition. The food and drink options in the lobby are AOK for an easy continental breakfast, including lox, bagels and cream cheese and all type of coffee drinks.

But your comments were really about soi 11 and not the hotel, itself. While the hotel does run a free shuttle up the road to Sukhumvit, I don't use it. I love the different sights, sounds and smells I experience when walking soi 11. I don't know if I'm unusually lucky or you hit a particularly bad night; but I've never been accosted by a prostitute on soi 11. Ever. There are lots of good eating and drinking options, too; and I'm not talking about places which one would more likely expect on Soi Cowboy. Levels is a tenant of the hotel, and I've never experienced any problem with it other than long lines at the hotel entrance on some evenings.

Try a couple of nights there on your next trip. You might like it more than you think!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Mostly, I agree with your comments; however, on this one, we're so far off that I wanted to reply.

I've stayed in the Aloft numerous times. I find it to be an excellent hotel for what it is. It's not SGS; nor is it even a 5* property. It's a budget option. However, in my experience, the staff is invariably both friendly and efficient. Status recognition has been 100%; checkin staff always thanks me for being a loyal Starwood customer and mention my current status level. Rooms are standard Aloft rooms and both clean and kept in good condition. The food and drink options in the lobby are AOK for an easy continental breakfast, including lox, bagels and cream cheese and all type of coffee drinks.

But your comments were really about soi 11 and not the hotel, itself. While the hotel does run a free shuttle up the road to Sukhumvit, I don't use it. I love the different sights, sounds and smells I experience when walking soi 11. I don't know if I'm unusually lucky or you hit a particularly bad night; but I've never been accosted by a prostitute on soi 11. Ever. There are lots of good eating and drinking options, too; and I'm not talking about places which one would more likely expect on Soi Cowboy. Levels is a tenant of the hotel, and I've never experienced any problem with it other than long lines at the hotel entrance on some evenings.

Try a couple of nights there on your next trip. You might like it more than you think!
I have stayed at the Aloft quite often. It is satisfactory accommodation pretty much as you describe, good for the first or last day or 2 when you arrive late or leave early and dont see the point of paying lots for the room for basically half a day. I have been accosted by prostitutes, mainly around Villa mart where all the massage shops are but it isnt that intrusive.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:29 am

The ALOFT is not without negatives; being molested by prostitutes is not one of them ( as another suggested the only approaches are in the Villa corridor and even then very tame ).
The major issue is the walk back from BTS: it's fine in the cool season (Dec-Jan) but borderline unpleasant the rest of the year ( and awful in the rain....).
It's *OK* for around 2,200-2,500 Baht but looks a bit expensive for what it is at much more than that.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Dr HFH, thanks for your comments. Obviously not having stayed at the hotel I couldn't comment on it, so I might give it a shot next time. I do actually quite like Alofts in Asia in particular - the KL one for example is pretty good value for money with a nice pool.

I'd assumed that the neighbourhood meant it would also be pretty loud at night and saw a comment to that note on a review, but from what what you say it sounds like it might not be all that bad.

I walk around Bangkok pretty often and while the sex trade is always around, the rule generally seems to be that the girls are waiting for men to catch their eye. On a walk up and down Soi 10 I had at least 5-6 girls actually grabbing my arm or pulling at my clothes, and at one stage two foreign girls tried to box me in on a narrow part of the walkway. It just wasn't conducive to a relaxed evening.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I was able to secure a very good BRG rate at Four Points -- $34 all-in/nt -- for an almost month-long stay in Oct/Nov. Bangkok has many great and reasonably-priced hotels, so I ordinarily wouldn't stay at the Four Points, but the rate is certainly compelling. (Note: The rate is no longer available).

From looking at comments in the Four Points thread, it seems that the benefits are minimal -- I wouldn't expect much of an upgrade for such a long stay, so probably nothing but breakfast (in lieu of 250 points) and maybe a couple drink chits per stay (i.e., one per two weeks in my case).

A good BRG at Sheraton Royal Orchid would cost a little less than twice as much (1,500-2,000THB++), roughly three times as much at Westin/LM/W (3-4,000THB++), and roughly four times as much at SR/SGS (4-4,500THB++), so I struggle with whether to walk away from the Four Points rate in favor of a better hotel. What would you do?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:46 pm

jpdx I stay at Four Point regularly when in BKK and always given a voucher for 2 free drinks per night of my stays along with a discount voucher of about 20% for the drunken leprechaun if I remember correctly but I think this is a once off discount.

Only once have I had a room upgrade to a suite and the following stay a week later the front desk apologised that they did not have a suit available.

I like the place and would rather pay a little more for it than aLoft, not for the reasons mentioned above but because of the hard bed and room damp smell.

The SGS is my favourite though and if the price is right is my go to hotel.

Though my upcoming trip in April I am staying at the Marriott Suk 57 as I booked at a very good rate.

Last edited by mrfreezetas; Feb 11, 2017 at 9:56 pm
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpdx
A good BRG at Sheraton Royal Orchid would cost a little less than twice as much (1,500-2,000THB++), roughly three times as much at Westin/LM/W (3-4,000THB++), and roughly four times as much at SR/SGS (4-4,500THB++), so I struggle with whether to walk away from the Four Points rate in favor of a better hotel. What would you do?
I didn't like what I read on FT about 4P, so when I'm looking for a budget option, it's Aloft for me.

Hard to tell you what to do; we have no idea of the extent to which creature comforts and 5* service is important to you.

If you're in the city for a month or more at a time, are you there for work? If you have a Thailand address, you may be eligible for SGS' The Grande Club. It's described as being available to "Thai nationals and foreign nationals with registered residency in Thailand." You can parse through the details yourself on the website; but basically:
● Membership fee is effectively free. You pay THB 9,900, but your account is immediately credited with a 9,900 F&B credit for you to use.

● 40% discount on F&B. (30% taken off the bill at the time, and additional 1,000 credit added to your account after each 10,000 F&B spend.) There are some exceptions, like special dinners, promotions or events. You'll still get a discount at these dinners/promotions/events, sometimes more (as much as 50%) and sometimes less.

● Discounts on individual spa treatments (but not treatment packages).

● Discounts on laundry and dry cleaning.

● Discounts on Business Center services.

● Discounts on weekend rooms.

● One free weekend room night per year.
You can read the details yourself on the website and decide if you're eligible and whether it's worth it for you. Speaking for myself, it's been great. I've been a member since SGS introduced it several years ago to replace Starwood Privilege in Thailand when that program was discontinued. Note that unlike Starwood Privilege, it applies only at SGS. No other properties are involved.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:31 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I was able to secure a very good BRG rate at Four Points -- $34 all-in/nt -- for an almost month-long stay in Oct/Nov. Bangkok has many great and reasonably-priced hotels, so I ordinarily wouldn't stay at the Four Points, but the rate is certainly compelling. (Note: The rate is no longer available).

From looking at comments in the Four Points thread, it seems that the benefits are minimal -- I wouldn't expect much of an upgrade for such a long stay, so probably nothing but breakfast (in lieu of 250 points) and maybe a couple drink chits per stay (i.e., one per two weeks in my case).

A good BRG at Sheraton Royal Orchid would cost a little less than twice as much (1,500-2,000 THB++), roughly three times as much at Westin/LM/W (3-4,000THB++), and roughly four times as much at SR/SGS (4-4,500 THB++), so I struggle with whether to walk away from the Four Points rate in favor of a better hotel. What would you do?
I'd bounce between the SGS and the StR for the whole month and enjoy. We only live once! I have stayed at the SGS before for THB 3,900++ per night but never seen the StR for as low as THB 4,500++
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Kalboz
I'd bounce between the SGS and the StR for the whole month and enjoy. We only live once! I have stayed at the SGS before for THB 3,900++ per night but never seen the StR for as low as THB 4,500++
I got a THB 5,000 ++ BRG for the StR in March and already felt rather pleased ... but I'm sure the really pro-BRGers can do better.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:27 am
kkl

Wow 4P for 35 all in. Where is this deal at! Could even mattress run
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:10 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I'd never consider the ROS as an option if I'm going to be out and about. A month at the ROS seems like a reallllly long time to be holed up over there. That would leave me with W/LM/W. All three are well located. The Westin and FP are nearly identically located. So I guess the question for me would be "Is the WGS lounge and option for a full breakfast in Taste worth the extra USD 70 bucks or so?"
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:19 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by horizontal
I got a THB 5,000 ++ BRG for the StR in March and already felt rather pleased ... but I'm sure the really pro-BRGers can do better.
Great job indeed!

Our stay was in January 2012 when they first opened and for 48K SPG points for 5 nights stay and we got upgraded to an Astor suite facing the polo park. Breakfast was the best I have ever had, hands down and in of itself was worth THB 5K. Happy hour at Decanter was the icing on the cake. Awesome property, service, and amenities.

Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by horizontal
Looking at my confirmation emails, my lowest BRG in 2016 for SR Bangkok was THB3,824++ (including breakfast). I haven't seen rates in that range recently, so this may not be replicable in 2017. I haven't been looking very hard, though.

Originally Posted by kkl
Wow 4P for 35 all in. Where is this deal at! Could even mattress run
Sometimes, there are inexplicably low rates. This was directrooms-->amoma, popped up at $46 per night when I searched for a 9-night stay, and then I optimized by playing with dates.

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I'd never consider the ROS as an option if I'm going to be out and about. A month at the ROS seems like a reallllly long time to be holed up over there. That would leave me with W/LM/W. All three are well located. The Westin and FP are nearly identically located. So I guess the question for me would be "Is the WGS lounge and option for a full breakfast in Taste worth the extra USD 70 bucks or so?"
You're spot-on with your assessment. The problem is that this is Bangkok, and there are lots of great hotels around. If it were, say, Seattle, and my options were deep discount Four Points vs. bad but pricey Westin/Sheraton/W, there's no question I'd stay at the Four Points for 1/5 to 1/3 of the rate. In Bangkok, spending that extra $70/day buys much better hotels, but then again, the difference of $2,000 for the month is a significant sum.

mrfreezetas -- thank you for the review of the Four Points. It doesn't sound THAT bad. And Dr HFH and Kalboz -- thanks for the advice on SGS and SR. I've stayed at all of the better SPG hotels in Bangkok (also Hyatt, IC, Siam, etc), and was planning on splitting this month-long trip into 5-6 night stays at various properties (also a few days in Chiang Mai/Rai/Hua Hin), and only booked the Four Points because of the crazy rate. I will do some soul-searching. I guess the conclusion I draw for now is that the Four Points would be a bearable option, and obviously not bad value at $1000 for a month.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

Aloft has their problems, specifically musty/stinky rooms. I also don't think the breakfast quality is good at all. Flip side is being upgraded to a north facing (urban) room more often than not. Second flip is occasionally being moved back to condo/south facing (chic) room when that first room is uninhabitable.

However it can be an inexpensive hotel and they will send a tuk tuk to pick you up at T21 (except 2-4pm weekdays) and to Nana BTS. This has saved me on a few rainy days.

As for Soi 11 in total, I'm not a fan of it nor the restaurants nor the taxi mafia nor the hookers. Thankfully the hookers leave me be and the taxi mafia I ignore.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I also don't think the breakfast quality is good at all.
Ah, yes, I forgot about breakfast. IMO the restaurant breakfast is inedible. That's why I buy lox/bagels/coffee at the lobby shop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.