Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Aloft. I was here for about a week last month, and many times last year. The rooms are no longer musty smelling. The drawback is that the air conditioner controls are no longer adjustable. I think this is a fair trade off.

They have a new GM. A kettle and Nescafe replace the Bon Cafe pods. The restaurant now closes after lunch each day. And, a LOT of new staff.
Thanks for the info, Sean. Just to clarify, on the a/c controls, you mean that the hotel has set the temperature and guests cannot change it? That sounds odd.

IMO changing from Bon Café to Nescafé is a downgrade. I like the Bon Café coffee much better.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:35 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Indeed. While it appears like you can change the temp, I'm not sure it makes a difference.

The cost cutting is on strong at the Aloft. Coffee, towels, outlet hours. This GM is on a cutting rampage. All the new staff too, reflect internal changes.

But, it's needed. They keep trying to push up the ADR, average daily rate, higher than is reasonable for their product in this competitive market. The many comments I see support this thinking. For a few more dollars, you can get into a 5 star hotel.... etc.

As the rates top out, the only thing left to cut is costs. As long as it doesn't affect us too much, let them do as the see fit.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Multiple rooms at the gym and plenty of machines: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...n/photostream/

As a Platinum, had comped breakfast at Goji Kitchen & Bar every morning!
I was only offered breakfast in the lounge as a platinum. They do have a on request egg station there in the lounge. Spread is adequate in my opinion, if one is not looking for something very heavy.

The gym is indeed very nice and modern. It's probably one of the best hotel gym around.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Indeed. While it appears like you can change the temp, I'm not sure it makes a difference.

The cost cutting is on strong at the Aloft. Coffee, towels, outlet hours. This GM is on a cutting rampage. All the new staff too, reflect internal changes.

But, it's needed. They keep trying to push up the ADR, average daily rate, higher than is reasonable for their product in this competitive market. The many comments I see support this thinking. For a few more dollars, you can get into a 5 star hotel.... etc.

As the rates top out, the only thing left to cut is costs. As long as it doesn't affect us too much, let them do as the see fit.
absolutely, on non peak season, the Westin can be had with just a little bit more premium over the aloft. At the price they r charging, it's not really worthwhile staying in the Aloft.

And with Marriott also providing a number of competitive options in Bangkok itself, it's hard to see myself going back to the Aloft unless I am doing a mattress run or maybe if i redeem it on points.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by shevboyz
I was only offered breakfast in the lounge as a platinum. They do have a on request egg station there in the lounge. Spread is adequate in my opinion, if one is not looking for something very heavy.

The gym is indeed very nice and modern. It's probably one of the best hotel gym around.
Thanks, very helpful. Now I've just got to find a good rate. This hotel seems to price itself between the Westin and SGS. I'd do the Marquis if I could find it closer to the Westin. Off to find an LNF rate ^
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
absolutely, on non peak season, the Westin can be had with just a little bit more premium over the aloft. At the price they r charging, it's not really worthwhile staying in the Aloft.

And with Marriott also providing a number of competitive options in Bangkok itself, it's hard to see myself going back to the Aloft unless I am doing a mattress run or maybe if i redeem it on points.
Off peak I have always been able to brg Aloft for less than 2000 ++, Best I have been able to do the Westin is 3300++. I have never found a brg on 4P so the reality is that Westin can often be had for 400 baht more than 4P. In that case Im always at the Westin or Aloft.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
They do have a on request egg station there in the lounge. Spread is adequate in my opinion, if one is not looking for something very heavy.
Unless the offering has changed from 2 months ago, I would say that the lounge spread is VERY adequate.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I was in Bangkok SPG hotels almost every weekend through most of last year. However, I only stayed at 4 of them. Here's my update on the 4.

Aloft. I was here for about a week last month, and many times last year. The rooms are no longer musty smelling. The drawback is that the air conditioner controls are no longer adjustable.
So you've been in a few rooms recently that were fine; you're beating the odds. I've had several rooms already this year and a couple more late last year that I requested to be changed from. And I've yet to have a room in which I couldn't alter the thermostat. Perhaps that's the direction they're moving in but so far your experience doesn't match with mine.

/shrug
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would be very unhappy to be given a hotel room with no temperature control.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Was able to grab BRGs on 2 of my 3 hotel stays in Bangkok in the next few weeks. Sometimes my hotels in BKK are simply chosen based amazing deals I can find. Most of the 5 star properties are pretty darn good in BKK. Even though I too have Bangkok favorites when you can get one 5* property 2,500THB per night less than another 5* - you just roll with it.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:45 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
So you've been in a few rooms recently that were fine; you're beating the odds. I've had several rooms already this year and a couple more late last year that I requested to be changed from. And I've yet to have a room in which I couldn't alter the thermostat. Perhaps that's the direction they're moving in but so far your experience doesn't match with mine.

/shrug
You can change the controls.... but are you sure it's warming or cooling the room? I'm saying the controls don't seem to make a difference.... only the speed of the fan, on/off.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Review today of the Le Meridien Silom in the Bangkok family thread in the Marriott forum. The FS Marriott properties weren't available, so the FTer tried the LeMS. Wasn't that impressed. Sounds like the Marriott family or other SPG family properties might be better. Anyway, link to the review in the Marriott forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28021970-post625.html

Cheers.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:33 pm

i love this property.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Review today of the Le Meridien Silom in the Bangkok family thread in the Marriott forum. The FS Marriott properties weren't available, so the FTer tried the LeMS. Wasn't that impressed. Sounds like the Marriott family or other SPG family properties might be better. Anyway, link to the review in the Marriott forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28021970-post625.html

Cheers.
An interesting review. Comparing something that is way out in the boondocks to a nice centrally located property. If they complain about those issues as service failures then the reviewer has some serious issues.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by geminidreams
An interesting review. Comparing something that is way out in the boondocks to a nice centrally located property. If they complain about those issues as service failures then the reviewer has some serious issues.
Le Meridien Silom is in the boondocks?

I would take them to task for a few of their statements that I'd definitely disagree with, but location-ally speaking, none of these properties are in the boondocks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.