Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:19 am

Just finished a stay at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit over the CNY holiday and couldn't have been more pleased. We did not receive much in terms of an upgrade, as the hotel was fully booked. Since we were traveling with kids, we requested adjoining or adjacent rooms, and when booking stays in Asia, it is anyones guess what that actually means until check-in. To our surprise we were given two adjoining rooms, which worked like a faux suite and gave just the right amount of privacy and proximity. Since this isn't set up like a suite, there is no connected living space, but rather a keyed entry foyer with keyed doors leading to each individual room. A nice touch was that all three doors were keyed with the same card key. Anyone who has tried to keep track of two or three different room card keys will appreciate this simple touch.

As others have stated, the service throughout the hotel is really top notch. The staff were attentive and responsive and always seemed to be one step ahead. During check-in, they even noticed a tiny scrape on my daughters leg and before we knew it, two staff members attentively cleaned the "wound" and gave her a bandage. She went from being hungry and cranky, to being hungry and cranky with a huge smile on her face.

The pool is nice, the water is chilly and the surrounds are intimate (small). The Sala area, adjacent the pool is a lush oasis and provides a stark contrast to Sukhumvit below. During busy periods it was difficult to get a lounge chair(s) by the pool, but i assume that was a result of the hotel being fully booked over the holiday weekend.

The location on Sukhumvit was excellent for us, as it was fairly central and had great access to the MRT(sukhumvit) and the BTS(Asok). We used both frequently and in a pinch we even used both to get to the airport on our day of departure, instead of fighting traffic in a taxi.

All of that praise aside, this property really shines b/t the hours of 6-8pm with their Platinum drink offerings. We have stayed at plenty of SPG properties throughout the US and Asia and this was hands down the best Platinum lounge experience we have ever seen. I believe there are three locations for Platinum drinks, Barsu, Sala and the Living Room. I only have first hand knowledge of Sala and the Living Room, as Barsu does not allow children. Sala, like i have said earlier, is by the pool and the adults can enjoy their drinks while the kids swim. The Living Room is a large room with intimately arranged open seating and live music. The kicker is that each location has a full bar and unlimited cocktails served by attentive and friendly staff. Moreover the drinks were great.

Needless to say, we will definitely go back to Bangkok and when we do, we will stay at this fabulous hotel again.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:13 am
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
Originally Posted by machineblue
Just finished a stay at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit over the CNY holiday and couldn't have been more pleased. We did not receive much in terms of an upgrade, as the hotel was fully booked. Since we were traveling with kids, we requested adjoining or adjacent rooms, and when booking stays in Asia, it is anyones guess what that actually means until check-in. To our surprise we were given two adjoining rooms, which worked like a faux suite and gave just the right amount of privacy and proximity. Since this isn't set up like a suite, there is no connected living space, but rather a keyed entry foyer with keyed doors leading to each individual room. A nice touch was that all three doors were keyed with the same card key. Anyone who has tried to keep track of two or three different room card keys will appreciate this simple touch.

As others have stated, the service throughout the hotel is really top notch. The staff were attentive and responsive and always seemed to be one step ahead. During check-in, they even noticed a tiny scrape on my daughters leg and before we knew it, two staff members attentively cleaned the "wound" and gave her a bandage. She went from being hungry and cranky, to being hungry and cranky with a huge smile on her face.

The pool is nice, the water is chilly and the surrounds are intimate (small). The Sala area, adjacent the pool is a lush oasis and provides a stark contrast to Sukhumvit below. During busy periods it was difficult to get a lounge chair(s) by the pool, but i assume that was a result of the hotel being fully booked over the holiday weekend.

The location on Sukhumvit was excellent for us, as it was fairly central and had great access to the MRT(sukhumvit) and the BTS(Asok). We used both frequently and in a pinch we even used both to get to the airport on our day of departure, instead of fighting traffic in a taxi.

All of that praise aside, this property really shines b/t the hours of 6-8pm with their Platinum drink offerings. We have stayed at plenty of SPG properties throughout the US and Asia and this was hands down the best Platinum lounge experience we have ever seen. I believe there are three locations for Platinum drinks, Barsu, Sala and the Living Room. I only have first hand knowledge of Sala and the Living Room, as Barsu does not allow children. Sala, like i have said earlier, is by the pool and the adults can enjoy their drinks while the kids swim. The Living Room is a large room with intimately arranged open seating and live music. The kicker is that each location has a full bar and unlimited cocktails served by attentive and friendly staff. Moreover the drinks were great.

Needless to say, we will definitely go back to Bangkok and when we do, we will stay at this fabulous hotel again.
Dear machineblue,

First of all may I thank you for your recent stay with us here at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for sharing your experiences.

I am glad to hear that you and your family had a wonderful time during your stay with us. Thank you again for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and we look forward to the next occasion where we can create another memorable experience with you.

With kind regards,

Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by kodansha999
are there any special events/trade show next week?

a search on W Bangkok checking in 7th or 8th Feb is THB 7,115 for a Wonderful Room.
other properties are ran out of standard rooms too.

Lots of Chinese tourists in town ( nationals and heritage) as well as end of season westerners.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 25, 2017 at 11:22 pm
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:24 am

Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 25, 2017 at 11:21 pm
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Here now. Uncharacteristically terrible experience so far w check-in at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. Usually love this hotel... They messed up dates on arrangements I made for 75th birthday for my mother-in-law and front desk argued w me on Plat breakfast. I had called in advance to see if breakfast was included or not for my son and wife as some hotels will give kids and others won't. Before they had but son getting older nOw so wanted to double check. Front desk told me my wife and I included as plats at matter of course and that I could get my son breakfast in lieu of 500 points.

Thus booked.

When I arrived FD said I could not get breakfast for son in lieu 500 points. She lectured me that only two breakfasts at this hotel included for plats. When i said I got approval when I called she still refused and said I had to pay half adult price.

Afer arguing ing she said she would check and I would have to wait. I told her this was ridiculous. Then she gave. I called duty mgr who said that typically plats can indeed get breakfast for kid if lieu of 500 points so they were not doing anything special for me. So it seems FD not sure of hotel policies?

I dont like having to argue when checking into hotel.

When i went later to double check on my mother in law birthday arrangements a different FD said everything was set for today. She said check in fd put in today even though I have email confirmation for a few days later and they have passport of mother in law. Luckily I double confirmed otherwise celebration would be wrong date. This fd...

Oh oh yes she agreed to put two of our three rooms on same floor (kid and parents). But FD messed that up and put wrong rooms on same floor which caused a lot of kids crying.

Anyway assistant front desk manager cMe to room to talk to me. He was nice. As was concierge.

There are too many good atarwoord hotels in Bangkok to choose from. I might stay here again as we have always had good experiences but we will see how rest of trip goes. I
To follow up with this. We had a similar issue with our platinum breakfast and welcome amenity, but I think it will all get sorted eventually. I called and placed an inquiry with SPG and am confident things will be corrected.

Like i mentioned in my previous review, we had two rooms, and both were booked with a breakfast inclusive rate for 4 adults. Since we had 6 people (2 being children) I asked the desk if we could use our platinum breakfast for the children in lieu of the 500 pts. They said this was not possible and that the platinum amenity we received was a room upgrade to include butler service (which actually was included in our original rate also). I said fine, and just went with it because half the time at SPG restaurants, the staff doesn't "count" the children. At check out I raised the issue again (after looking over the bill) thinking with a different FD agent i might get a different answer. After 10 minutes, they came back and said it would cost 1500 pts (500/day) to remove the breakfast from our bill. I said no thanks, as we were in a hurry to make our flight and didn't think much of it. Yesterday i go to check our SPG balance, as one with mild OCD does, and was dumbfounded to see that we received 0pts for our welcome amenity as it was given in the hotel.

I know SPG will straighten this out eventually, but it does seem like the FD agents need a refresher on Platinum amenities, specifically breakfasts.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Like i mentioned in my previous review, we had two rooms, and both were booked with a breakfast inclusive rate for 4 adults. Since we had 6 people (2 being children) I asked the desk if we could use our platinum breakfast for the children in lieu of the 500 pts. They said this was not possible and that the platinum amenity we received was a room upgrade to include butler service (which actually was included in our original rate also).
I find this weird since room upgrades are not part of the Platinum Amenity gift (500 points, Continental Breakfast, or local gift).

Besides, the 2 children are staying in the same room so technically using the Platinum Amnetiy gift of Continental Breakfast for the 2 kids doesn't sound like it's breaking any rules.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:25 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I find this weird since room upgrades are not part of the Platinum Amenity gift (500 points, Continental Breakfast, or local gift).
Sounds like they considered the upgrade to the the local gift?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Sounds like they considered the upgrade to the the local gift?
I think me asking to replace the 500 starpoints with platinum breakfast is what might have messed everything up in the system.

But just to be clear, i should have had the option of 500pts OR free breakfast (for 1 or 2), correct?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:11 pm

Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 25, 2017 at 11:22 pm
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:00 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I think me asking to replace the 500 starpoints with platinum breakfast is what might have messed everything up in the system.

But just to be clear, i should have had the option of 500pts OR free breakfast (for 1 or 2), correct?
Yes. And the WGS offered me this on October. While I and my wife were covered pre the usual policy of breakfast without spending points, the other room could have breakfast in lieu of my 500 point plat amenity.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Yes, confirmed to me many times by duty managers... plats can have two free full breakfast and 500 points. Or can have breakfast for kids in lieu of 500 points. I am not sure if that is breakfast for 1 or 2 kids. Didn't ask.
Clearly that was not the case for us. We paid for four breakfasts (included in room rate) and received no platinum breakfast amenity and no (as of yet) 500pt welcome amenity.

Maybe someone who has stayed here frequently can enlighten me on what the actual Platinum perks are, as i now realize that the complimentary cocktails were also included in our room rate.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
At the SGS Platinum members get the same benefits as those who book Luxury rooms or above (effectively equivalent to a Club room):
  • Full Butler service (incl. 2 items of washing, coffee, tea, shoeshine, etc.)
  • Breakfast at either Rossini's, Orchid Cafe or the Sala
  • Coffee, tea and soft drinks at the Library or the Living room (09:00-23:00)
  • Happy hour at the Living Room, the Sala or BarSu from 18:00-20:00
  • Free Bangkok phone calls
  • Internet access

Looking at my Starpoints activity, it looks like you can choose the 500 points instead of breakfast.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:07 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I recently spent around 10 days in Bangkok waiting to hear back from a client. It was Chinese New Year meaning the city was packed, so I took the opportunity to do some hotel hopping. My conclusions on the Bangkok SPG life are below:

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit: I'm in love with what I think might be the best city hotel at its price point in the world. The rooms are attractive and adequately sized, Platinum recognition is programme-leading, the GM runs an incredibly tight ship with excellent staff. The room service menu is the best I have seen in any hotel anywhere, by some distance. Sala and the pool are unique (though I find the pool far too cold) and downstairs BarSu is hilarious (just don't drink anything with ice in Soi Cowboy if you follow the band down there after a performance). The Living Room has proper jazz nights which in my view justifies the somewhat controversial 300 Baht fee. You will get upgraded to a suite here if they have any available as a Platinum member, though the suite's really just two bedrooms connected together, so I didn't really mind either way.

Westin Grande Sukumvit: I think this hotel is somewhat under-appreciated on Flyertalk. It's a clean and modern business hotel with a quality Japanese restaurant which overall actually reminds me of Japan. I stayed there on a rate of 4,800 Baht which included a full dinner at the Japanese restaurant and a glass of sake. I was upgraded to a suite once and a non-suite another time, both rooms are attractive, with the suite in particular being a nicer configuration. I wouldn't stay here unless the SGS was significantly more expensive or full, but it's a solid fall back.

Royal Orchid Sheraton: The hotel is dated and has a bit of a package tourist customer base, but with its base on the river it does have some charm. All rooms face the river, and I was upgraded to a full suite with both rooms view attractive view. It's walking distance (or boat) from the Mandarin Oriental, so I used my time in the hotel to have an evening at the MO.

Plaza Athenee: Probably my least favourite of the SPG hotels relative to its price. It's a slightly cheap feeling Meridien with a very 18-30s clientèle. I was there for Chinese new year and the hotel was completely sold out. The staff were clearly run off their feet, but were doing their best. I can't quite put my finger on it, but this hotel didn't do it for me and I can't see a scenario in which it makes sense to choose it over other alternatives.

Four Points: The Four Points is obviously a 4 star hotel, so lacks the generous happy hours and/ or executive lounges of the other hotels listed. It is cheaper as a result though, and I think the hotel delivers value when it's at ~60% of the Grande Sukhumvit ones. The staff are on the ball, they have a cute tuktuk to ferry you around and the room does what it needs to. My one critique would be that my room smelled a bit odd, either some kind of mildew or a scented cleaning product. If you're sensitive to that kind of thing, you might want to give it a miss.

Le Meridien Suvarnabhumi: This hotel is between the airport and Bangkok. I used it because I thought it might be a good 15 hour "airport hotel" while I waited for a flight. It's not a bad hotel and the suites are attractive, but I wouldn't do it again. This is very much a golf hotel catering to users of the gold course and I don't think it makes sense to use it for any other reason.

Other hotels I didn't visit this time

Le Meridien Bangkok: One of my favourite hotels in Bangkok, probably above all but the SPS. This time it was very high priced for most of my stay, so I wasn't able to visit it again. Platinum upgrades are to a lovely suite (particularly if you have company) and the whole place feels a bit like a very good W. I don't really like area, which is its main downside.

The St Regis Bangkok: I'm not the biggest fan of the St Regis chain, but I was particularly disappointed with this one. I found the staff to be very strong on the bowing and showing deference but not so good at actually delivering luxury service. At the luxury level I don't think it manages to compete with the Mandarin Oriental or the Peninsula and at a more conventional 5* level, I'd have to say the SPS is just a much friendlier and capable hotel.

W Bangkok: Designed as a pretty typical W, I was expecting a bit more from the chain in a city like Bangkok. Mediocre service, rooms and pool. The Dining Room is probably its highlight. It's often priced not too far off the SGS, but does not compare.

Aloft Bangkok: Now the only SPG hotel in Bangkok that I've not stayed at. I was going to, but went to check it out beforehand. It's literally the centrepoint of Soi 11 Sukhumvit, which is one of the big nightlife areas and prostitute hangouts of Bangkok. The hotel is co-located with Levels which is the dominant nightclub in the area. As a single man I couldn't walk around the area un-molested, so decided to give the place a miss.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:26 am
Suspended

Well, I used to love the Plaza Athenee back when Starwood had just acquired Le Meridien, and the PA was a Cat. 2. It was a screaming bargain on points back then. No longer as a Cat. 4, especially if the SGS is now also a Cat 4 again.

The best thing that the Plaza Athenee had going for it was one of the best swimming pools in all of Bangkok, and a pretty functionally useful location

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.