Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:01 am
kkl

Originally Posted by ftrichard
StR in Bangkok has (IIRC) 90 minutes of drinks and cold cuts in an area on the ground floor for Platinums each evening. Nothing too elaborate but we managed to get through a good five or six drinks each when we were there ;-).
Last month drinks was served at the bar on 13th floor? just infront of the bank of lifts.

not sure if we were entitled to more than one drink. will give it a go next time im there. the coupoon said drink 6-10
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
StR has excellent hardware and service was excellent as well. Was upgraded from standard suite into Caroline Astor, which had nice views. Doesn’t hurt that the hotel is directly linked to the Skytrain from the second floor.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:03 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I stayed there (StR) a few times VERY soon after their opening. I was able to sample several of the suites. My budget doesn't afford this hotel of late, but the comparative advantage (hard product) kills other SPG hotels.

Myself, I love the ROS. I'm happy others don't. More suite upgrades for me!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:16 am

Thank you all for the input!

I am Plat, and was upgraded to One-Bedroom Suite during my stay at StR.

Based on the responses, now just have to decide between StR vs. PA.

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:43 pm
kkl

Received a st regis suite on a one night stay and a metro suite for 3 night stay.

Preferred the metro suite. Found the st regis suite way too big for 2 people. But the wet bar/kitchen was well appreciated

Breakfast is good but could be slightly improved. Made to order food can be hit and miss.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:52 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Myself, I love the ROS. I'm happy others don't. More suite upgrades for me!
So if I book a Deluxe River View Room (I see $86++ per night room rate for my dates) at the ROS, what would be the expectations in terms of upgrades and other benefits for a Platinum?

Thank you!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:35 am

Every room vas a river view. However, the standard rooms are very standard... and there are a lot of them in this 700+ room hotel.

The upside is the number of executive suites they have. I'd estimate it at about 30. They also have several junior suites (floor plan like Jr suite at 4pts, but smaller), and a floor or two of "club" rooms, which are quite nice!

Platinum upgrades include, executive suites, junior suites, and club rooms.

I'm 100% on suites since my last climb back up to Plat. But, I've probably stayed here 100 times. Now, if I go the SGS, I don't stand a chance at a suite.
I do know there are more Plat guests than there are suites, some nights.

And... I STEER CLEAR of this place during any Thai holiday or river event. But, that's just me.

You'd also get, lounge access (all day soft drinks & cookies, lounge breakfast, and evening cocktails and appetizers), 4pm checkout, 500 pts.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:30 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Every room vas a river view. However, the standard rooms are very standard... and there are a lot of them in this 700+ room hotel.

The upside is the number of executive suites they have. I'd estimate it at about 30. They also have several junior suites (floor plan like Jr suite at 4pts, but smaller), and a floor or two of "club" rooms, which are quite nice!

Platinum upgrades include, executive suites, junior suites, and club rooms.

I'm 100% on suites since my last climb back up to Plat. But, I've probably stayed here 100 times. Now, if I go the SGS, I don't stand a chance at a suite.
I do know there are more Plat guests than there are suites, some nights.

And... I STEER CLEAR of this place during any Thai holiday or river event. But, that's just me.

You'd also get, lounge access (all day soft drinks & cookies, lounge breakfast, and evening cocktails and appetizers), 4pm checkout, 500 pts.
Our last stay here was in November 2010 - 5 nights in an executive suite with Platinum benefits. The upgrade came when a katoey porter interceded on our behalf with FD manager! The food was atrocious at that time even in the cafe by river at breakfast. Then, Plats were allowed to partake breakfast by the river. Other than the said porter, impersonal service at every level including the lounge. But to their credit, they sent us a cake to celebrate my wife's birthday, a very nice gesture again thanks to the same porter!

My dates are in late December - getting a $86++ per night rate here versus $130++ at our beloved Marriott Queens Park which is a hefty $44++ difference per night. Multiply that by number of nights and you get an additional room as I'm traveling with wife and kids.

Although Thais love to celebrate, Christmas is hardly a Thai holiday. Why would you stay clear of this property during holidays?

Platinum Breakfast by the river back in 2010

Hotel provided cake to celebrate wife's birthday!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Our last stay here was in November 2010 - 5 nights in an executive suite with Platinum benefits. The upgrade came when a katoey porter interceded on our behalf with FD manager! The food was atrocious at that time even in the cafe by river at breakfast. Then, Plats were allowed to partake breakfast by the river. Other than the said porter, impersonal service at every level including the lounge. But to their credit, they sent us a cake to celebrate my wife's birthday, a very nice gesture again thanks to the same porter!

My dates are in late December - getting a $86++ per night rate here versus $130++ at our beloved Marriott Queens Park which is a hefty $44++ difference per night. Multiply that by number of nights and you get an additional room as I'm traveling with wife and kids.

Although Thais love to celebrate, Christmas is hardly a Thai holiday. Why would you stay clear of this property during holidays?
I have stayed here a few times. Personally Im not keen on the location though it is good for river venturing. I have found the staff friendly and helpful. I have always stayed on a BRG with rates as low as 2200++. At this level it competes with Aloft but with a better hard product.

I have always been offered a suite, Breakfast and evening snacks have pretty bad food. Evening drinks are nice especially with the view.

I have always noted high prices around some of the festive times so assume they have a loyal group who visit during these times which would make upgrades a bit more scarce.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by geminidreams
I have stayed here a few times. Personally Im not keen on the location though it is good for river venturing.
Taxis are a pain at the ROS. But...

I like the location.

For transit, they have their own boat to the BTS that leaves every 30 minutes. The MRT is quite close, at the train Station, less than a km away (~ 35฿ Cab), making Asoke easily accessible. One of the MRT entrances is acros the traffic circle towards the ROS end. No need to cross traffic into Hua Lumpong.

Driving wise, Silom, Satorn, Rama IV, Chinatown, and a tollway entrance are near. Areas like Siam and the Grand Palace just a bit further out, but quick to get to.

The neighborhoods on both sides of the river are vibrant, though it is tucked in a sleepy Soi.

I didn't even mention the river boats.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Taxis are a pain at the ROS. But...

I like the location.

For transit, they have their own boat to the BTS that leaves every 30 minutes. The MRT is quite close, at the train Station, less than a km away (~ 35฿ Cab), making Asoke easily accessible. One of the MRT entrances is acros the traffic circle towards the ROS end. No need to cross traffic into Hua Lumpong.

Driving wise, Silom, Satorn, Rama IV, Chinatown, and a tollway entrance are near. Areas like Siam and the Grand Palace just a bit further out, but quick to get to.

The neighborhoods on both sides of the river are vibrant, though it is tucked in a sleepy Soi.

I didn't even mention the river boats.
Yes I have done the boat to BTS and also taxis along the river, I just prefer the Silom and Sukhumvit locals for my interests and the other 5 stars all have good breakfasts. If they at least match an Aloft breakfast in their lounge I would be a lot more enthusiastic about them. For a minor cost they would gain a lot of good will.

I dont dislike ROS and when I am in BKK I rarely only stay in one hotel, I like to mix up the locations and when I like the pricing I head off to ROS and value wise it is quite acceptable.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:09 am

Speaking of the Aloft breakfast, it's really gone downhill lately. The new Aloft management has really been tightening the budget. Lots of little changes, breakfast being one of them.

On another note, the planned Four Points in Phuket is on a prime spot at Patong Beach. I drove by it the other day. Let's hope it stays a 4Pts through opening.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
The 2 Luxury Collection Bangkok properties

The Athenee is now priced quite a bit higher than the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, but the last one is a truly established Luxury Collection hotel, while the 2nd one is only a work in progress for that brand.

The pricing might be due to some requirement due to the recent brand switch or a trial balloon requested by the ownership or the corporate management, but I am wondering how sustainable that pricing direction is.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by UASPG
The Athenee is now priced quite a bit higher than the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, but the last one is a truly established Luxury Collection hotel, while the 2nd one is only a work in progress for that brand.

The pricing might be due to some requirement due to the recent brand switch or a trial balloon requested by the ownership or the corporate management, but I am wondering how sustainable that pricing direction is.
Easier to BRG the PA (whatever its called now) as of late though.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
Easier to BRG the PA (whatever its called now) as of late though.
I am not sure that is the case, nowadays.

Having stayed at the SGS & the Athenee recently, I am confirming that both hotels do not play in the same league. But, surprisingly, the Athenee is priced higher than the SGS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.