Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by geminidreams
An interesting review. Comparing something that is way out in the boondocks to a nice centrally located property. If they complain about those issues as service failures then the reviewer has some serious issues.
What properties are out in the boonies? The Ren, JW and CY are on or close to the SkyWalk, which is about as central as you can get in Bangkok; much more central than the LM. The Marriott FS Soi 57 property is in Thong Lor, on the BTS, which again, isn't the boonies. What exactly is an LM in the middle of Patpong central to? The ping pong shows and massage parlors a few steps away on either side?

I am checking out of the LM and moving to a better property at the same price. This hotel is okay, but given the excellent Marriott family choices in Bangkok at the same price, it didn't seem a good idea to stay. My point in posting the review on the Marriott board was not to insult people who might like the LM, it was to warn those who are used to the high standards and excellent lounges at the JW/Ren/Soi57/CY that they might be disappointed with the limited offerings at the LM.

There were far too many service issues. Two different people assured me something was done when it wasn't. One of them told me to go ahead and take a shower and he would make sure I wasn't disturbed, then sent someone to my room immediately. The creative/artistic offering in the afternoon is inadequate, IMO, and is a far cry from a lounge open all day. If you can stay at a better hotel that offers more at the same price, why would you stay at this LM? Please explain how that opinion, or the service issues mean that I have "serious issues?" If you have real points, please make them. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you feel the need to lob character attacks against someone who had a bad experience at a lousy hotel you like.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CJKatl
What properties are out in the boonies?
Perhaps that response was based upon the belief you were reviewing LM Suvarnaphumi??? Just a guess.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
What properties are out in the boonies? The Ren, JW and CY are on or close to the SkyWalk, which is about as central as you can get in Bangkok; much more central than the LM. The Marriott FS Soi 57 property is in Thong Lor, on the BTS, which again, isn't the boonies. What exactly is an LM in the middle of Patpong central to? The ping pong shows and massage parlors a few steps away on either side?
One sees what one wants. LM is about two blocks from the Sala Daeng BTS station. Lumpini Park, across the street from the Dusit Thani hotel, is beautiful. There's great food in Pizza Pala on Silom Road, unusual and excellent pizza. Further down Silom Road, in State Tower, you'll find SkyBar. Then there's the main Jim Thompson store, on the other side of Surawong Road and a few blocks up from LM. There's a great French bistro right in Patpong, Le Bouchon. It's authentic French food in a relaxing bistro atmosphere. There's a large and beautiful Buddhist temple just a few blocks behind LM, Wat Hua Lam Phong, which is quite well known. With the possible exception of State Tower, all are easily walkable.

If all you're finding in the area is "ping pong shows and massage parlors," you aren't looking.

There were far too many service issues. Two different people assured me something was done when it wasn't. One of them told me to go ahead and take a shower and he would make sure I wasn't disturbed, then sent someone to my room immediately. The creative/artistic offering in the afternoon is inadequate, IMO, and is a far cry from a lounge open all day. If you can stay at a better hotel that offers more at the same price, why would you stay at this LM? Please explain how that opinion, or the service issues mean that I have "serious issues?" If you have real points, please make them. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you feel the need to lob character attacks against someone who had a bad experience at a lousy hotel you like.
Ouch!! While definitely a service failure, I don't see the early arrival of the ice as a war crime. When someone knocks on my door when I'm indisposed, I just ignore it. (It happened to me this morning, in fact.) One of three things will happen: a) s/he will leave whatever it is outside the door, b) if s/he has a passkey, s/he will open the door, realize that I'm indisposed, and just leave whatever it is on the desk or table, or c) s/he will slip one of those little cards under the door which says, "We tried to service your room/deliver ___/return your laundry/whatever, but there was no answer. Please call the Front Desk to let us know when you return."

Lousy hotel? We all have different requirements and preferences in a hotel, and certainly the LM is a very image conscious brand which doesn't appeal to everyone. But lousy hotel? It may not have worked for you; but it's far from a lousy hotel on any sort of objective scale.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Mar 13, 2017 at 2:37 am
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat

I am checking out of the LM and moving to a better property at the same price. This hotel is okay, but given the excellent Marriott family choices in Bangkok at the same price, it didn't seem a good idea to stay. My point in posting the review on the Marriott board was not to insult people who might like the LM, it was to warn those who are used to the high standards and excellent lounges at the JW/Ren/Soi57/CY that they might be disappointed with the limited offerings at the LM.

I guess I picked up more on the Suk 57 suites ref. Given in 30 odd visits I have been as far as Thong Lo once i consider it out in the boonies. Then again I find ROS isolated.

I happen to enjoy the Bamboo Chic setting and offerings, I dont usually visit the evening drink sessions at any properties to fill up and they have a good selection of drinks to my taste.

I think DR HFH covered the other issues well. I like Patpong area, its easy access to BTS, easy to get to MBK or SIAM by BTS or taxi, lots of bars, restaurants, stalls in easy walking distance.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

If all you're finding in the area is "ping pong shows and massage parlors," you aren't looking.

Ouch!! While definitely a service failure, I don't see the early arrival of the ice as a war crime.
Other than walking through the Soi past the bars, it was the only time I really noticed them when I stayed at LM.

At least the ice came early even though asked to be in about 25 minutes.
The birthday cake I had arranged to be delivered between 6:30-7:00 PM at Marriott Suk 57 arrived after 7:45PM and after I called to see where it was at 7:15PM and was told 10-15 minutes away.

Then the cold water issue that morning and no extra towels as requested until the last night shows "issues" how ever minor or major can and will happen at any property.

My consistent stays in service have always been at Four Points and Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.

My upcoming stay/s are back at Marriott Suk 57 as I have it booked at a very good rate so will see if previous problems was a once off occurrence or not.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:59 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I don't like the LM Surawong because, for me, it is too far from the BTS. JW also is too far for me from the BTS. However, when you ask what is nearby the LM Surawong, for those in town on business it is near main or important offices of Bangkok Bank Head Office, AIA, Prudential, LH Bank, CP Group, SAP, Chulalongkorn University, etc.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:04 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by geminidreams
I guess I picked up more on the Suk 57 suites ref. Given in 30 odd visits I have been as far as Thong Lo once i consider it out in the boonies. Then again I find ROS isolated.

I happen to enjoy the Bamboo Chic setting and offerings, I dont usually visit the evening drink sessions at any properties to fill up and they have a good selection of drinks to my taste.

I think DR HFH covered the other issues well. I like Patpong area, its easy access to BTS, easy to get to MBK or SIAM by BTS or taxi, lots of bars, restaurants, stalls in easy walking distance.
Location preference is dependent on what you like to do in Bangkok - I find the ROS to be in a great location to see the "real" Bangkok and to enjoy its authentic food. Others see Sukhumvit or Silom as a good base to explore their environs. Thus location is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. However, this doesn't mean, by any stretch, that the full service (FS) Marriott Sukhumvit 57 is out in the boonies. The property is steps away from Thong Lo BTS station placing the entire city at your fingertips. One BTS stop away from Phrom Phong and its EM Quartier shopping, dining, and entertainment district. One stop the other direction is where you find the Japanese-themed Gateway mall with its own entertainment and authentic dining options. Thong Lo area itself is very popular with expats especially Japanese and it has Japanese neighborhoods in addition to countless dining, legit massage parlors, and drinking venues. That's where I was first introduced to Kao Soi, Northern Thai dish. One restaurant that is popular with many farangs (but not me) is Soul Food Mahanakorn which is short walking distance from the BTS station. On the other side of Sukhumvit, you will find Sukhumvit 38 food market and also one Soi down you will find Vientiane Kitchen which specializes in Isaan food and entertainment. Ekkamai also offers great venues such Healthland and Sabai Sabai Jai Kebtavan. For families, couples, or individuals who are not interested in the nightlife or adult entertainment, this is a great location.

As for the treatment, we have had 100% upgrade rate to suite at the FS Suk 57, including suites on the 40th (same as the lounge floor) and the 41st floors. It's of relevance to mention that we also have had a 100% batting rate at the SGS.

Our newly opened gem the Marriott Marquis Queen's Park has even a better location with complimentary Tuk-Tuk shuttle to the EM District and an entrance through Benjasiri Park. Their 27th M-Lounge is not as visually fantastic as the FS Suk 57 or the JWM but the treatment is Royal and the offerings are quality, delicious, and plentiful not to mention an outside patio area to enjoy the views. My review is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...resent-40.html

Patrons particpate in performance at Vientiane Kitchen Sukhumvit 36

Japanese dining at Ekkamai Gateway

Soul Food Mahanakorn Sukhumvit 55 (Thong Lo)

Soi Thong Lo - note the BTS bridge

Dinner at Sabai Jai Kebtavan - Ekkamai

Japanese neighborhood at Sukhumvit 33/1

Japanese Izakayas - Sukhumvit 57 right in front of the Marriott
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by shevboyz
I am still in Bangkok and had just check out on both the aloft and 4P. I think the aloft was starting to show it ages compared to when I stayed 2 years ago, nothing much to complain at that price point though. However the 4P has better hardware and a free drink voucher for platinum member, I prefer its location as well. So for a similar price point between the 2, I will pick the 4P.
I agree with this. I've stayed there several times throughout the years and it's definitely showing it's age. I was last there in January and it was noticeable how it was falling apart. Water leaked from the shower door, sometimes the closet light wouldn't shut off. Little things which are starting to make the place look warn.

But the location is good. It's crowded on Soi 11 but overall it's really convenient and not a bad walk to the BTS unless one has a physical issue that limits mobility. The free aloft shuttle will take you as far as Terminal 21 as well.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Our newly opened gem the Marriott Marquis Queen's Park has even a better location with complimentary Tuk-Tuk shuttle to the EM District and an entrance through Benjasiri Park. Their 27th M-Lounge is not as visually fantastic as the FS Suk 57 or the JWM but the treatment is Royal and the offerings are quality, delicious, and plentiful not to mention an outside patio area to enjoy the views.
I am here now because someone raved so much about this hotel I had to witness it. Yes, it's awesome. I'm actually in the lounge eating breakfast as I type this. My M Suite is very nice. The welcome I was given upon arrival was incredible. With that said, it's a very, very big hotel, which can sometimes be nice but other times overwhelming. In my personal pecking order, this moves up to a shared #1 with Suk 57, ahead of the Ren, JW and CY, although it cannot be emphasized enough that each of these are great properties. The CY is one of the 2 or 3 best in the chain, and factoring in price the CY often becomes by choice.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
I just completed a 4 night stay at the StR Bangkok and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The breakfast spread could have been slightly more varied (or offered more specialties to order) and the pool could have been a bit bigger, but other than that I was very very pleased with the hard product, general service standards and attitudes, and the location (directly connected to Ratchadamri BTS, one stop from Siam, and easy access to most other parts of Bangkok).

Of course, getting a BRG rate and an upgrade from a deluxe/grand deluxe room to a metropolitan suite didn't hurt in the slightest either. For the money I don't think I've had a better stay in Bangkok!

Compared to what I've seen of the other *wood hotels in Bangkok I think it really comes down to your price point. There are many good value stays to be had at any budget, but at the top end as far as I can tell the only real options are the SGS and StR.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: N/A
Hi folks,

Mid 20's couples here. I am able to choose the Westin GS ($109) or the W ($130) in Bangkok for songkran weekend.

Could anyone advise on which they would suggest?

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by JBG89
Hi folks,

Mid 20's couples here. I am able to choose the Westin GS ($109) or the W ($130) in Bangkok for songkran weekend.

Could anyone advise on which they would suggest?

Thanks!
The W is my favorite SPG hotel in Bangkok, so I would recommend it any time. It's not on Sukhumvit and a little farther away. Depends on how much you want to get involved in the festivities, but I would imagine the W would be quieter than the Westin because of the location. It's definitely a nicer hotel than the Westin IMO.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
The W will be absolutely packed with young muscular gay men from all over Asia over Songkran as will Le Meridien. It's the biggest gay dance festival of the year and the W is a very popular choice.

I only mention this in case you mind being intimidated by the pool by what will resemble a high end swim wear fashion shoot.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG, RC
Sorry for the intrusion, trying to follow this thread for some info and began with the most recent posts and am working my way backwards...can anyone elaborate on what CY and FS Marriott stand for. Many of the hotels I'm gathering are being referred to by their location as in Soi 11, Suk 57 etc instead of by actual name. I'm guessing CY is Courtyard Marriott but may be wrong, no clue on FS Marriott. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TravelPenguin
Sorry for the intrusion, trying to follow this thread for some info and began with the most recent posts and am working my way backwards...can anyone elaborate on what CY and FS Marriott stand for. Many of the hotels I'm gathering are being referred to by their location as in Soi 11, Suk 57 etc instead of by actual name. I'm guessing CY is Courtyard Marriott but may be wrong, no clue on FS Marriott. Thanks in advance!
CY does indeed refer to Courtyard and FS is a typical abbreviation for 'full service'.

Soi 11 would likely refer to Aloft. Suk 57 to the Marriott Sukhumvit Soi 57 (Thong Lor).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.