Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by bostonbali
And unfortunately, WGS is not connected to the BTS with a skybridge, you need to walk along Sukhumvit to get to the BTS stairs
Its a rather short walk, 1 min max !
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:19 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Its a rather short walk, 1 min max !
1 min if you want to go to the escalator. The stairs that are at the WGS itself are about 2 meters from the WGS drive. You can be on those stairs in about 4 seconds if you have luggage. Just enough time to get wet.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
You can go out the lobby side door. Down the steps to Tops, up through Robinsons and hit the skybridge. 10m walk in the WGS driveway.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:07 pm

The Thais are generally respectful to foreigners during Songkran. When they see that you're not keen to get wet, those standing by the roadside with ladles won't splash water on you if you signal early enough.

In all honesty you'd have a larger chance of getting wet while walking from St Regis to Central where the crowd is more boisterous and shoot or spray water with guns.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
The Thais are generally respectful to foreigners during Songkran. When they see that you're not keen to get wet, those standing by the roadside with ladles won't splash water on you if you signal early enough.
Not my experience. IME, they seem to enjoy most getting people who don't want it. The only time it bothers me, though, is when they've put ice in the water so that it's really cold and a bucket of it is thrown on me. To me that's over the line into offensive and assaultive.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Not my experience. IME, they seem to enjoy most getting people who don't want it. The only time it bothers me, though, is when they've put ice in the water so that it's really cold and a bucket of it is thrown on me. To me that's over the line into offensive and assaultive.
This.

And when they decide you need some talcum powder on you as well.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:12 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by schoflyer
You can go out the lobby side door. Down the steps to Tops, up through Robinsons and hit the skybridge. 10m walk in the WGS driveway.
Any reason you wouldn't go another 3m past those stairs and go directly into Robinsons rather than down into Tops and then back up?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Any reason you wouldn't go another 3m past those stairs and go directly into Robinsons rather than down into Tops and then back up?
Less of a chance to get wet and you need to walk up steps
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by woresu
I just aware that it's Songkran this Easter, to prevent getting wet, I can only choose SGS, WGS and St. Regis, which are connected to BTS with foot bridge.

Any other alternative during that festive period?
As mentioned the WGS is not connected to the BTS sky bridge. Neither is the Four Points where I have stayed during Songkran. To avoid the water pistols I took the sky bridge into Robinson's department store, down to the Tops Market grocery, and out the opposite end from where I entered via a delivery ramp. Then a short walk across the alley street to the Four Points Pool side entrance that has a gate that opens with your key card. This alley has little car or foot traffic. I used the pool side alley to shorten the walk to Terminal 21 as well.

Edit: Corrected that the hotel side entrance is not anywhere near the pool. Must have been thinking of another hotel.

Last edited by lostone; Feb 1, 2017 at 8:05 am
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by lostone
As mentioned the WGS is not connected to the BTS sky bridge. Neither is the Four Points where I have stayed during Songkran. To avoid the water pistols I took the sky bridge into Robinson's department store, down to the Tops Market grocery, and out the opposite end from where I entered via a delivery ramp. Then a short walk across the alley street to the Four Points Pool side entrance. This alley has little car or foot traffic. I used the pool side alley to shorten the walk to Terminal 21 as well.
Well the pool is on the roof, but everything else you said is correct. It's kinda like the back gate to the 4pts.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:38 pm

are there any special events/trade show next week?

a search on W Bangkok checking in 7th or 8th Feb is THB 7,115 for a Wonderful Room.
other properties are ran out of standard rooms too.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:51 pm

Not sure about next week, but I just left the W on Sunday. The entire week, the hotel was packed for Chinese New Year. Didn't affect things at all besides seeing more hotel guests around than usual.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Bangkok's been full all week from Chinese new year, it's also just after peak season for Western tourists. Prices are a good 50%+ above normal. The W is a rip-off at the moment, but the ROS is usually available for ~4K and the Westin Grande Sukhumvit sometimes has a special "Japanese" rate which is only listed if you click through for 4,800 including dinner.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Also to add, I have had luck with an SPG50 rate of 4,500 at the W if you really want to go there. There are better SPG hotels in Bangkok at comparable prices, not least the Le Meridien which looks a lot like a good W.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:27 am

I used nights and flights to get 5 nights there, so I didn't have to deal with inflated prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.