Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
For me, it boils down to value: I can BRG all Bangkok SPG properties. SR, SGS, and PA will be in the THB4000++ range; Westin, W, and LM in the THB3300++ range; 4P, RO, and aloft from under THB2000++ to THB3000++ (depending on dates). There will be times when rates are higher, but for my upcoming summer stays, these were my choices (as was the case last summer and the year before).
Any tips on BRG for these hotels would be appreciated. I'll be in BKK October 8-12 and the rates I'm finding on places like Hotels.com are all similar to the SPG site (and not worth giving up the Cit Prestige 4th night free over).

Thank you.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by johnep1
Any tips on BRG for these hotels would be appreciated. I'll be in BKK October 8-12 and the rates I'm finding on places like Hotels.com are all similar to the SPG site (and not worth giving up the Cit Prestige 4th night free over).

Thank you.
Try Hotelscombined.com
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by johnep1

Thank you.
I will be in BKK during this time. I got a rate for 1990++ for ROS. Also try galahotels.com and www.hotelreservierung.de. I saw one opportunity on Hotels combined for PA and W but wanted cheapest this time.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:21 pm

Which hotel

Gonna be in BKK for 6 nights...thinking about splitting up stays between SPG and Hyatt, but the more I look, it seems like GH isn't all that great even for a Diamond. Anyway, what I'm looking for:

* Close to metro, although I'm not adverse to walking some, just don't want a 15 min walk each way to the metro
* Good nightlife area within walking distance. Since I'm a night person, getting there by metro will be fine, but I'll be left with trying to get a taxi home, which as I understand, can be a pain sometimes. If less than a mile walk from nightlife, I can just walk.
* What kind of nightlife? Single male looking for clubs/bars to hang out in...if the scene is good and some good music playing, I'm good...and drinks of course. Live music is good as well.
* Good restaurants within a mile or so walking (but can also take metro if needed).
* Hotel that has happy hour for Plat (yep, I'm being cheap, have a few free drinks before heading out for the night).
* Good plat breakfast...I'm not too picky about breakfast, heck, a bagel and some fruit is sometimes just fine. But I also like a good spread where I can partake in several different options.

Hopefully this gives you some idea of what I'm looking for...I have some ideas of where to stay after reading this thread, but also wanted to get some specific advice based on what I'm looking for. Thank you.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Gonna be in BKK for 6 nights...thinking about splitting up stays between SPG and Hyatt, but the more I look, it seems like GH isn't all that great even for a Diamond. Anyway, what I'm looking for:

* Close to metro, although I'm not adverse to walking some, just don't want a 15 min walk each way to the metro
* Good nightlife area within walking distance. Since I'm a night person, getting there by metro will be fine, but I'll be left with trying to get a taxi home, which as I understand, can be a pain sometimes. If less than a mile walk from nightlife, I can just walk.
* What kind of nightlife? Single male looking for clubs/bars to hang out in...if the scene is good and some good music playing, I'm good...and drinks of course. Live music is good as well.
* Good restaurants within a mile or so walking (but can also take metro if needed).
* Hotel that has happy hour for Plat (yep, I'm being cheap, have a few free drinks before heading out for the night).
* Good plat breakfast...I'm not too picky about breakfast, heck, a bagel and some fruit is sometimes just fine. But I also like a good spread where I can partake in several different options.

Hopefully this gives you some idea of what I'm looking for...I have some ideas of where to stay after reading this thread, but also wanted to get some specific advice based on what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Just had a stay at The St Regis, so I can tell you about that.

-Skytrain is literally attached to the hotel, which was super convenient.

-We took the metro 4 minutes(2 stops) to some good nightlife spots. Uber home was 50 Baht(15 min ride).

-Some restaurants in walking distance(like the Hyatt or some locals ones), but we took the Skytrain 1 stop to the Siam to get food in both chain and local restaurants.

-Great Happy hour. Only 6-7pm, but a good menu of wines, drinks, and cocktails, along with some tapas. It's not crowded so they fill your drink up fast.

-Breakfast was awesome. Huge selection, made to order eggs, lunch options, and pastries/waffles etc.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:34 pm

Le Meridien Bangkok
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:05 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Young Male = aloft, Le Meridien, W

Old Male = SGS, PA, ROS

Modern Old Male = St Regis

Can't Make a Decision Male = 4P

Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal

Old Male = SGS, PA, ROS

HA....well, I'm 38, and I was leaning towards Meridien or SGS, but curious why you say old male would be SGS?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
HA....well, I'm 38, and I was leaning towards Meridien or SGS, but curious why you say old male would be SGS?
Likely price. I'd say Westin across the street from SGS has more value if you're price sensitive.

Love the comment about the 4p, ha!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:16 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I am a bit younger that you, just slightly.

I am actually booked into the SGS for two night in six weeks time, then two nights at the St Regis but am only doing so to enjoy the last of my Platinum status. Apparently everything is slightly better at both those places with Platinum status.

For the SGS, I am not a fan of the room (feels way old, same with the common areas with the exception of BarSu) but will spend most of my time by the pool and that's the only reason why I am going back there.

The St Regis, I like the pool area too, but I like how the entire common areas and rooms feel much more luxurious than that SGS.

That said, without any status, I will stay at the aLoft which I enjoy - it's on a street that has lots of bars/restaurants/some clubs - the aLoft even has an on-site night club which is pretty cool (if you're into those things).

The LM is young and hip too, modern with an OK pool, and good chance of being upgrade to a suite as a Platinum.

Surprisingly I have not yet stayed at the W despite my enjoyment of the W brand, especially the newer non-USA properties
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:33 pm

Literally any of the hotels except LMS and ROS would qualify. Personally I have booked a stay at the LM for January as I like the happy hour and Patpong. Its close enough to the BTS and MRT. Best value is probably Westin, can usually be had on a BRG. I like the Aloft and W. StR I like the hard product but Im on a budget. PA I like and usually BRG but location is a bit boring. SGS is way overhyped here for what it is especially when you can stay in the Westin over the road for 2000 baht a night less for a pretty good stay.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:07 am

I haven't been back to Bangkok since the STR opened, but my favourite by far was the LM (I am much younger than the average age here but have ancient sensibilities).

SGS felt very much like a business hotel during my recent stays, especially sitting around all the suits during the Plat happy hour. W, of course, would be the way to go if you're looking for a younger crowd or a place to party (although the lobby/bar/club is insane on a weekend); LM great if you're on a vacation and I particularly liked the Silom district (and the impressive Plat upgrades); and Westin or SGS would probably be the choice for a business stay vibe. I'd only stay at the ROS if there was something particular in that area I wanted to visit.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Poor Male = ROS, FP
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:30 am

I was in the ROS a few weeks ago and given that it can be had for the same price as Aloft it was a good deal. The club is a nice environment and the staff helpful. Location is a drawback.

I have never been able to get excited about the 4P. Apart from the cost I just like the Aloft so much more.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by alanslegal

Old Male = SGS, PA, ROS

So where should a (young or old) female stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.