Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by civicmon
The W BKK has a promo on their website for a pay 2 stay 3 or P3S4 (the former being a much better deal IMO) type promotion that doesn't show up anywhere else.

Almost always yields better prices per night than the best SPG rate.
In Bangkok W, PA, Westin and ROS regularly have great BRG opportunities. I have a rate of 3270 Baht for W in Jan (SPG rate 6200) and just cancelled one for the PA 3166 (6300). This is because the standard rates are probably fixed too high so they fill up with discounts elsewhere. Bangkok over the last few years has a very competitive market . Aloft also has BRG opportunities but I usually take the points there as the starting room prices are low . It takes a little more time but you get a great rate with flexibility to cancel.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by geminidreams
In Bangkok W, PA, Westin and ROS regularly have great BRG opportunities. I have a rate of 3270 Baht for W in Jan (SPG rate 6200) and just cancelled one for the PA 3166 (6300). This is because the standard rates are probably fixed too high so they fill up with discounts elsewhere. Bangkok over the last few years has a very competitive market . Aloft also has BRG opportunities but I usually take the points there as the starting room prices are low . It takes a little more time but you get a great rate with flexibility to cancel.
You can also find decent deals using SPG50 at some of the Bangkok properties which are usually just a few hundred Baht more than the lowest prepaid rate but come with day prior cancel policies.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:44 am

SPG50

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
You can also find decent deals using SPG50 at some of the Bangkok properties which are usually just a few hundred Baht more than the lowest prepaid rate but come with day prior cancel policies.
That's handy, thank you
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:07 pm

For the SAME price, is it fair to assume that St. Regis (Category 6) would be a better option than SGS (Category 4)? Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by rxpuri
For the SAME price, is it fair to assume that St. Regis (Category 6) would be a better option than SGS (Category 4)? Thanks.
At the same price I prefer the St Regis. I love the pool, the spa, the restaurant etc.. The room feel also fresher.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:15 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by bizum
Headed for our first BKK trip (week+) before eoy, finally decided on StR for the entire stay. We're SPG Gold, originally planned use Free Nights at the W but seemed better to just pay cash. Amex FHR was not an option (too $$) since we're booking so late otherwise that is our pref.

What sealed the deal for me at StR was that the StR Bangkok website advertised a promo that was not visible (at least to me) on SPG.COM.

So a tip for the SPG newbs, check out the hotel website for hotel specific promos and compare against the rates you see on spg.com...
As many said, if the rate is about the same, go with St Regis. The BTS is connected to hotel and hence make it easier to go around Bangkok. Also St Regis is in the "quitter" neighborhood (high end residential area).
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:22 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
No.
The St. Regis has much better rooms.
While the SGS has the service and amenities down a bit finer (and some people think a better location).
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:39 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
For the same price I would definitely go with the SGS. While the physical plant of the St Regis is a bit better, the service, pool, location, breakfast buffet is better at the SGS IMO.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by yosithezet
For the same price I would definitely go with the SGS. While the physical plant of the St Regis is a bit better, the service, pool, location, breakfast buffet is better at the SGS IMO.
Agree on this. The SGS has an amazing pool design where the noises of the city are almost completely filtered out by the placement of the pool deck as well as the dense vegetation.

If getting around Bangkok easily is a factor, the SGS's location at Asoke is quite helpful as it allows you to access both the BTS and the MRT.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I think the StR has much better firmware though I havent been in the renovated SGS rooms. I dont like the SGS pool at all. For a pool its a great garden but for swimming it is lame. StR links directly to BTS. As for location it is close to patpong market and MBK via the BTS which are my preferred destinations but BTS travel is cheap and convenient and all of Sukhumvit that is of interest is accessible. SGS breakfast is better but I can assure you that you wont starve at StR, its more than adequate. Usually StR say its points or breakfast while SGS provide both. I dont get the butler service at either location and Ive never worked out what service is particularly outstanding at SGS. Personally I rarely stay at either as I always find much better value elsewhere, I generally stay at W, PA, LM and WGS for around 3300 ++ and get excellent service and upgrades. In fact Im currently residing in a suite at WGS now before moving over to a suite at the LM where I spent 5 nights in a suite last week (busy burning points before they get enhance after the takeover).
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Planning a short 48H stopover in BKK in July with wife and kids
Am SPG PLAT
Which property hast best upgrade potential in July ?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Wife and Kids
July
Do the SGS
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:26 am

Should I expand...
Best access to BTS
Great Pool
Renovated Rooms
Good Chance of upgrade
Luxury Collection
Multiple Happy Hour Venues
Proximity to Terminal 21

If you need a physical lounge consider Westin and PA but overall, during the low season, I believe the Cat 4 SGS will outshine other options for a family in terms of value, convenience and upgrade.

Last edited by schoflyer; Feb 14, 2016 at 6:26 am
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Personally

I found there is little to no different in many aspects between St. Regis and SGS. as a local, they treated me mostly the same way. If im a white guy or foreigner, it will be different story.

However i would pick St. Regis anytime if the price are being equal as I prefer the newer and modern feel, not luxury.

My final caution to you guys is to avoid FP sukhumvit 15 at all cost. Staying elsewhere outside starwood is better than staying here, IMO.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Feb 14, 2016 at 5:08 am
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:50 am

I'm at the 4pts tonight. I find the hard product a clear notch above Aloft. The breakfast is once again a good breakfast but not comparable to a Cat 4 buffet. Most of the people I've seen with negative comments don't like paying up 1000 points for a deluxe award booking when the comfort rooms were sold out. Sure, not ideal, but last week I was faced with 5k for urban at the Aloft, 5K for Deluxe at 4pts, 5.5k for Jr Suite at 4pts. I chose 4pts and was happy enough to swap another 2 cancelable nights this week from Aloft over here. I'll be working up a more detailed Cat 2 BKK showdown between the two properties in the next few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.