Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by hendricks
Hi Dr HFH - to clarify - if I'm staying at the WGS, I can go over to the SGS for breakfast? Do I need to tell them at check-in?
I'm fairly certain that you cannot. I think that I misunderstood SeaCarl's comment upthread.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by hendricks
Hi Dr HFH - to clarify - if I'm staying at the WGS, I can go over to the SGS for breakfast? Do I need to tell them at check-in?
You can go to the SGS for breakfast as long as you are willing to pay $$$ for it.

The breakfast and other benefits are not interchangeable across properties.

-David
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Stopping in BKK for two nights on our way for our honeymoon in Koh Samui.

Would your recommend the W BKK or SGS?

Staying on points and unfortunately no longer have SPG status
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by rkj2106
no longer have SPG status
Since you are FREE of status, take advantage of your freedom and spoil your wife for these 2 nights, that are part of your honeymoon.

I would advise you to stay at the The Siam or The Peninsula - check the rates on hotels.com. If the rates for these 2 nights are above your budget, there are several interesting boutique hotels in the city.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks will check out The Siam and The Peninsula.

Was a frequent SPG member a few years ago so racked up lots of SPG points and wanted to cash them out as they seem to get devalued each year and we often don't find ourselves in places to cash them out so easily...

Without status is it not worth it to use 10k points per night on the W or SGS?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
On points I would suggest Plaza Athenee or Le Meridien over WGS. I think PA and SGS are fairly similar in quality but Im sure a lot here will argue for the SGS. Whilst I don't like the location of the ROS it is worth considering for a 2 night stopover just to be near the river.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG

Was a frequent SPG member a few years ago so racked up lots of SPG points and wanted to cash them out as they seem to get devalued each year and we often don't find ourselves in places to cash them out so easily...

Are you W style ?
If yes try W but Wbkk are not good review in FT
IMO after stay at SGS now I understand why SGS have many fan everything is best as they can do.
But your condition is no status , I will pay point for 3000,4000 at four point because it is nearly best location in Bangkok and status is very poor benefits at FP.
Sorry for my poor English.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I really like the W brand as a whole, but the W Bangkok is a let down. I would not go there on an important holiday. If you're looking for a good use of points look at the SGS or the Meridien.

As others have suggested though, Bangkok is perhaps the world's best value for great 5* hotels. The Siam sounds amazing (not been there yet), the Peninsula is very well regarded by many (slightly meh), and at slightly higher cost the Mandarin Oriental really is remarkable.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
stayed at W Bangkok for 1 night about a week ago, just to check it out.

overall it was a so-so stay. nothing to mention about. most likely not to stay there again though.

I suggest Plaza Athenee or Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit for your purpose (part of a honeymoon trip). Request a newly renovated room instead of their suite. (however, if i were you, st. regis is my choice.)

Tell them this is your special occasion. I'm quite sure that they will treat you well even without any SPG status.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *

When I made my suggestion, I was thinking "Honeymoon", but if you would like to use points, both the WBKK and the SGS are fine hotels although very different from each other. I guess that you would have to read a little bit about both and look at pictures, to see which one you prefer.
I would recommend the river for a honeymoon, but Starwood has only one, the ROSH, which is ok, but not at the level of the 2 hotels I suggested.
The PA would also be a nice choice and is next to the newest shopping mall in BKK, with a bunch of nice food outlets.
The LMBKK is sleek and more subtle than the WBKK, but the Patpong area might not be the best area for what you are looking for.

Good luck & enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:47 pm

If on honeymoon and you wanted to stick with SPG, then I would recommend seeing if you can get the St Regis on points or points+cash.

The service at the St Regis has its flaws but it is a stunning property with one of the best pools in town overlooking the Bangkok Sports Club and city skyline. The rooms are beautifully appointed and extremely luxurious.

I did not think much of the rooms at the W but if you can use points to upgrade to a suite there it should be ok. The biggest problem with the W is that the immediate area near the hotel is quite boring - it doesn't have that feeling of Bangkok crazy energy that makes the city so fun.

Agree the SGS in a renovated room would be a good bet if you can't get the St Regis.

Wouldn't do the LM BKK unless your partner is very good humoured or open-minded!

I also agree with the other commenters who suggested non-SPG options given it's only two nights and Bangkok has some exceptional hotels at very reasonable rates. Personally I would look at what deals you can get on the Four Seasons, Sofitel So or the Peninsula.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajca
If on honeymoon and you wanted to stick with SPG, then I would recommend seeing if you can get the St Regis on points or points+cash.
Personally I would look at what deals you can get on the Four Seasons, Sofitel So or the Peninsula.
+1 on both points. If not St. Regis- see what is available at Four Seasons, MO, PEN, or also Grand Hyatt.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
+1 on both points. If not St. Regis- see what is available at Four Seasons, MO, PEN, or also Grand Hyatt.
One of these is not like the others
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:42 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat

With no status, I think you should book a suite at a Cat 3 hotel instead of a basic room at a Cat 4. IIRC it would cost 14,000 Starpoints per night at a Cat 3 property. Like other's above, the Plaza Athenee is a great choice. But, for if you're spending a lot of time in the room, both the Le Meridien and the Royal Orchid have great suites.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
I suggest Plaza Athenee or Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit for your purpose (part of a honeymoon trip). Request a newly renovated room instead of their suite. (however, if i were you, st. regis is my choice.)

Tell them this is your special occasion. I'm quite sure that they will treat you well even without any SPG status.
+1
Originally Posted by UASPG
When I made my suggestion, I was thinking "Honeymoon", but if you would like to use points, both the WBKK and the SGS are fine hotels although very different from each other. I guess that you would have to read a little bit about both and look at pictures, to see which one you prefer.
I would recommend the river for a honeymoon, but Starwood has only one, the ROSH, which is ok, but not at the level of the 2 hotels I suggested.
The PA would also be a nice choice and is next to the newest shopping mall in BKK, with a bunch of nice food outlets.
The LMBKK is sleek and more subtle than the WBKK, but the Patpong area might not be the best area for what you are looking for.

Good luck & enjoy your trip!
+1

i don't agree point with St.Regis BKK or C&P are not worth

The biggest problem with the W is that the immediate area near the hotel is quite boring - it doesn't have that feeling of Bangkok crazy energy that makes the city so fun.

I also agree with the other commenters who suggested non-SPG options given it's only two nights and Bangkok has some exceptional hotels at very reasonable rates. Personally I would look at what deals you can get on the Four Seasons, Sofitel So or the Peninsula.
+1

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
With no status, I think you should book a suite at a Cat 3 hotel instead of a basic room at a Cat 4. IIRC it would cost 14,000 Starpoints per night at a Cat 3 property. Like other's above, the Plaza Athenee is a great choice. But, for if you're spending a lot of time in the room, both the Le Meridien and the Royal Orchid have great suites.
+1
Depend on your activity/plan at BKK inside hotel or outside ? how many hour to stay in hotel in 2 night at BKK ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.