Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by metoo
Is Sheraton Royal Orchid a good one to stay for points? With the perk of Club lounge, would anyone recommend this hotel?
The GM here is the former GM from Le Royal Meridien Shanghai. Would expect service and experience here to be top notch.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by nologic
The GM here is the former GM from Le Royal Meridien Shanghai. Would expect service and experience here to be top notch.
If you want the river experience its ok but it is a pretty uninteresting area otherwise. The hotel condition is not as good as its competitor SPG options in BKK. In the other hotels if you have a club or equivalent room you will get breakfast in the restaurant and some are really good, at ROS its continental breakfast in the club lounge which is good if you are on a diet or looking to have a big lunch. When I visited the service was reasonable but I had enough of the river view after 2 days.

I book the Aloft before considering the ROS and As a plat I would get all the plat amenities of the ROS and only breakfast or points at Aloft but location is better and the breakfast at Aloft wins hands down on ROS even though its bottom scale compared to the rest.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
That's disappointing that the ROS doesn't provide full service or full buffet breakfasts to Plats. And you're saying the Club lounge doesn't have excellent food...usually that's not the case for Sheraton's in Asia.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Hi all - I'm staying in Bangkok for 3 nights this coming October, as part of a longer trip within Asia. I've been to Bangkok before, so I'm less focused on the main sites, but more so on a place where I can relax and have a comfortable home base (i.e. gym, pool, spa, etc.). I stayed at the four points last time and wanted something more upscale for this visit.

I've narrowed it down to either the W or the SGS. I am in general a big W fan (especially the ones in Doha and Hong Kong), and I like the thought that would it be a bit more relaxing than Sukhumvit, while still having easy train access to shopping, etc. The TripAdvisor reviews seem pretty good. The SGS on the other hand is appealing for its pool area and the very high reviews it gets here on FT. Not necessarily in love with the Sukhumvit area, but not a deal-breaker.

I'm a platinum member and would also be interested in the platinum perks, although this isn't a major consideration unless drastically different (i.e. free buffet breakfast at SGS but no free breakfast at W, etc.).

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by rwSEA
Hi all - I'm staying in Bangkok for 3 nights this coming October, as part of a longer trip within Asia. I've been to Bangkok before, so I'm less focused on the main sites, but more so on a place where I can relax and have a comfortable home base (i.e. gym, pool, spa, etc.). I stayed at the four points last time and wanted something more upscale for this visit.

I've narrowed it down to either the W or the SGS. I am in general a big W fan (especially the ones in Doha and Hong Kong), and I like the thought that would it be a bit more relaxing than Sukhumvit, while still having easy train access to shopping, etc. The TripAdvisor reviews seem pretty good. The SGS on the other hand is appealing for its pool area and the very high reviews it gets here on FT. Not necessarily in love with the Sukhumvit area, but not a deal-breaker.

I'm a platinum member and would also be interested in the platinum perks, although this isn't a major consideration unless drastically different (i.e. free buffet breakfast at SGS but no free breakfast at W, etc.).

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance!
IMO SGS have much more perk than W
Laundry 2x2/day & evening drink & butler & daytime soft drink at library.
If you don't mind to move hotel
I recommend to 2 night at SGS first and last night at W
because laundry at SGS come at 6 pm for next day.
And w give only drink voucher and no clubs/drink benefits like SGS.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:35 pm

Both give breakfast that are very good. I prefer W just as it has a better atmosphere in the main dining room, at SGS I actually prefer breakfast at Sala as though its not as extensive it is nice ambiance. W say breakfast or 500 points but I have always received both when staying there.

W just provide a couple of drink vouchers which are a bit underwhelming. BTS access is easy from either hotel. My wife and I walked to Patpong a few times for dinner and visit the markets but it is only one stop on the BTS.

As far as suite upgrades are concerned they are always hit and miss, I was upgraded to a great W suite with SNAs but a studio without, many complain of no upgrade. I have only been to SGS as a gold but paid for the Grande Delux. Personally I prefer the Le Meridien over both but everyone will have a different view depending on what they value. PA is currently off my list as the renovations were very intrusive when I last visited.

Laundry is ok but I never bother with the hotel laundry I just go to a commercial laundry and get a bag done for about 150 baht that does all my clothes.

Its pretty easy to move hotel btw as BTS is close enough to both for it to be easy.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by nongsom
... laundry at SGS come at 6 pm for next day.
If your laundry is outside your door by 9 a.m., it will be returned the same day, usually in the 5-6 p.m. range. 7 days/week. That's the regular service. There's an express service option; but I've never used it. Same day is fine with me.
Originally Posted by nongsom
And w give only drink voucher and no clubs/drink benefits like SGS.
Correct. If you're PLT, you get drinks during Happy Hour daily at SGS (6 p.m.-8 p.m., IIRC). They are available at your choice of Library, Living Room, BarSu and Sala. You don't have to choose one, -- you can have a drink at one location and then move to another for your next drink the same evening.

At W, I believe that you receive vouchers for two free drinks per stay.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jun 13, 2015 at 4:04 am Reason: Added some additional info.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If your laundry is outside your door by 9 a.m., it will be returned the same day. 7 days/week.Correct. If you're PLT, you get drinks during Happy Hour daily at SGS (6 p.m.-8 p.m., IIRC). At W, I believe that you receive vouchers for two free drinks per stay.
Thanks Dr for additional SGS information.
IMO Laundry usually benefits for longer journey.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by nologic
That's disappointing that the ROS doesn't provide full service or full buffet breakfasts to Plats. And you're saying the Club lounge doesn't have excellent food...usually that's not the case for Sheraton's in Asia.
My last visit was late Jan to early Feb 2015. If anything has deteriorated, must be after that. Given the fierce competition in this segment of hotels in Bangkok, I'd be surprised if they downsized the perks for their most valuable guests
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by onobond
My last visit was late Jan to early Feb 2015. If anything has deteriorated, must be after that. Given the fierce competition in this segment of hotels in Bangkok, I'd be surprised if they downsized the perks for their most valuable guests
Are you saying ROS now offers breakfast in the restaurant like all the other BKK SPG hotels as for some time they have only offered breakfast in the club lounge? Compared to even Aloft or 4P standard restaurant breakfast the ROS club lounge breakfast is garbage.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Are you saying ROS now offers breakfast in the restaurant like all the other BKK SPG hotels as for some time they have only offered breakfast in the club lounge? Compared to even Aloft or 4P standard restaurant breakfast the ROS club lounge breakfast is garbage.
I believe you get to use the Restaurant if you choose Breakfast as your Platinum amenity gift, never tried it though so need someone to confirm. I always take the points and eat at the Sheraton Club Lounge.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:47 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I believe you get to use the Restaurant if you choose Breakfast as your Platinum amenity gift, never tried it though so need someone to confirm. I always take the points and eat at the Sheraton Club Lounge.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24944079-post346.html
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Ah okay so there's no Restaurant use at all.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:33 pm

The ROS has its niche as a riverside hotel and you get nice views of the river and can utilize the river activities. In comparison to what the other cat 3 hotels provide for breakfast it seriously underwhelms. They are good with suite upgrades but again compared to what you get at the LM or (before the category raise) PA it is not in the class. The club lounge has a good evening service and snacks and a pleasant overview of the river which is definitely the highlight for staying there. If they changed the breakfast options Im sure they would attract more plats but from what I could see they target the tour group business which in fairness would be much more their focus than 10 - 20 extra plats.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:02 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Since the current GM arrived, there is NO breakfast for platinums in the downstairs restaurant as an amenity. You can ONLY have the executive lounge breakfast and can only sit/eat in the area near the service/kitchen area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.