Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Maybe it's to show they speak it as a second language?
Well of course that is what it's for.
But in the past I have seen Japanese, Korean, and several European languages,
never Chinese until recently.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Well of course that is what it's for.
But in the past I have seen Japanese, Korean, and several European languages,
never Chinese until recently.
Yeah, they're the biggest consumer group in the world.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by jpdx

It is often said that Thai hotels are unlikely to discount and instead tend to sit out periods of low occupancy, but I've found in the past that while this may be true on the Thai side, it is often easy to find European travel providers who hold fire sales on the inventory they locked in. In fact, I do see some BRG opportunities on European sites that bring e.g., Grand Hyatt Erawan to $100+, Westin to $85+, or ROS to $90 (for mid-November travel dates). IME, those are not stellar BRG rates for Westin or ROS (the Hyatt, however, is fire sale level), and the hotels I'd actually want to stay at (SGS, W, SR) don't seem to move at all.
Last year for January stays I received excellent BRGs for W, Westin and PA. I have found ROS to be an almost certain BRG, I was searching recently and saw a price 1 day out at $38 for ROS. I would suggest looking at BRGs on breakfast included rates as whilst Im a plat I sometimes find cheaper rates for breakfast included and with the 20% it brings it cheaper than the lowest rates. Perhaps book a flexible rate and wait a few more weeks for deals to appear. I have never seen lower rates for BRGs for the LM, StR or SGS.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
The rates at the bottom end of the price range continue to inch up. But, last week I stayed across from the Aloft at their competition... but at 1/2 the price.

Great if your budget fits the PA or SGS. But, not if you're at the bottom of the scale.
The one across the street is offering really good rates with complimentary breakfasts.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
Bangkok SPG Hotels

In May 2016 I am thinking of spending a week in Bangkok for my wedding anniversary. I have enough points to redeem for a 5 day fly and stay package in a category 3 or 4 hotel. Also I will have a free weekend night certificate.

A few Questions
1) Is the redemption worth it or should I just try for one of the category 2 hotels.

2) I am SPG gold is there a chance of getting a good upgrade at any of the hotels. If so any recomendations?

3) Not hotel related, but is a week in Bangkok to long, I will be with my wife so only PG stuff hehe.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:08 pm

Since it's a special occasion, go for the Cat 3 or 4 hotels and let the hotel know as well, they may or may not do something special for you.

Last edited by yosithezet; Oct 18, 2015 at 12:57 am Reason: Post merger cleanup
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by Nimitz
In May 2016 I am thinking of spending a week in Bangkok for my wedding anniversary. I have enough points to redeem for a 5 day fly and stay package in a category 3 or 4 hotel. Also I will have a free weekend night certificate.

A few Questions
1) Is the redemption worth it or should I just try for one of the category 2 hotels.

2) I am SPG gold is there a chance of getting a good upgrade at any of the hotels. If so any recomendations?

3) Not hotel related, but is a week in Bangkok to long, I will be with my wife so only PG stuff hehe.
Sheraton grande sukumvit.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 2:20 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Nimitz

A few Questions
It's all subjective. For me personally I'd probably just sort out my flight and then pay cash on hotels, but from what I could see on paper the Fly and Stay package looks good. Looking now, Cat 3/4 gives you a pretty good selection of SPG hotels.

Yes, Thailand is very generous to SPG members. I'd guess that upgrades for a Gold member would be to a nicer room with a nicer view rather than you getting put into a Presidential suite though.

As someone has already mentioned, the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is loved on these forums. Most visitors seem to be Platinum, but given the laundry list of free stuff they get given, I'm sure that Golds are looked after too.

Personally, I'd stay in Bangkok 1-2 nights either side of your flight and then go somewhere else. The islands are beautiful (pick East or West by time of year) and the North with its culture and hills is interesting too. SPG has plenty of hotels, though in many places I think you could get better mid/lower upper range places at a fraction of the cost by going with a non-chain/ other chain.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 3:04 am

I'd recommend the Le Meridien Bangkok. Great property and amazing service.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by zzap
I'd recommend the Le Meridien Bangkok. Great property and amazing service.
2nded. I had a great stay here, felt like the most luxurious place I've stayed in a while.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I have stayed at most as a gold and plat. SGS upgraded me to a better room but If it were me I would look at seeing if you can get an executive room on points at the LM or a club room at the PA. I usually swap around hotels if staying that long, do one one 5 nights stay to get 5th night free and one 2 night stay. I suggest one stay in Silom area and one in Sukhumvit area. I plan to spend 3 weeks in BKK in Jan with my wife and I dont get bored. You can do some day trips, shopping, markets restaurants, nightclubs, movies ......
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
SGS. There's a reason that it's so loved on FT. Send an email to the Concierge Desk ([email protected]) and let them know that your stay is for a special wedding anniversary. To the extent that experience is any indicator, I doubt that you will be disappointed.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
Also I probably wouldn't do redemption in BKK and just pay cash, it is one of the best places in terms of value for money on hotels. Save your points for another place

Seconded on SGS and LM, both great hotels
Old Oct 18, 2015, 12:59 am

Tribute in BKK

With 9 of 10 brands in BKK itself, Starwood hopefully would find a Tribute property to make it 10/10.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 1:02 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Did they open an Element without me noticing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.