Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Refer to le meridien suvarnabhumi, i've never stayed there, so no comment about it. No plan either. It's kind of out of the way, even for the airport.
Will stay there mid-August and will give a short report.
Comments from other sources say it's a nice property but nothing special, trying to find its positioning between airport hotel/Golf resort/Spa resort and city hotel !
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Just some forwarding planning from my end;

I will not re qualify for Platinum this year so thus lose it on 28 February 2017.

If I check in 28th, and stay 5 or so nights (checking out 5th March 2017). Would most of the Bangkok hotels extend my Platinum benefits for the entire stay? Thinking of St Regis or SGS for this purpose.
That's cutting it sort of close, of course. I would expect that your benefits are good for the entire stay if they're good on the first night. You'll be PLT when you make the rezzie and when you check in.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
That's cutting it sort of close, of course. I would expect that your benefits are good for the entire stay if they're good on the first night. You'll be PLT when you make the rezzie and when you check in.
I'd generally agree, but I see two things to consider:

Your status will be downgraded at some time around the 28th, but when isn't exactly clear. My guess would be either during the business day (maybe 8-9 am, noon or 5 pm local time?) at SPG headquarters or at midnight, again according to the SPG clock. You should carefully calculate what this means for the time in Bangkok, especially your anticipated check in time. You should be OK on still being Plat at check in due to the international date line, regardless of what convention SPG uses, but please verify this.

Look at the T&C about whether status at check in is what determines benefits throughout the stay. As a very general rule, properties in Asia tend to be generous, but they also follow the rules by the book, so you should examine the technical language that SPG uses about this.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
If it is among your first visits to BKK and you have plans for river related exploration, the ROS is a great choice. The skiff taking you to the metro station, the ferry landing next door..a neat intro.

That said, the hotel is tired and if they have eliminated the downstairs breakfast as a platinum amenity, then another strike.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:00 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I checked into a BKK hotel on what should have been the last day that I had Plat. But, they couldn't see my Platinum status. I never got the Plat amenity for that stay either.

I'm not saying that's how it will be for everyone. Just, a one time anecdote to consider.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I checked into a BKK hotel on what should have been the last day that I had Plat. But, they couldn't see my Platinum status. I never got the Plat amenity for that stay either.
Could also have been time of day. I would expect that "overnight" processing takes place based on U.S. time, and not necessarily right at midnight, either.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:17 am

StR or W Bangkok

I am struggling to decide where to stay in Bangkok. I would ideally prefer a hotel close to the nightlife. Based on that, is it the St Regis or the W that I should book?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:25 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by dolceguess4
I am struggling to decide where to stay in Bangkok. I would ideally prefer a hotel close to the nightlife. Based on that, is it the St Regis or the W that I should book?
Depends on what nightlife, but neither of these fit the bill. You should be looking at Le Meridien on Surawong, or Aloft, Four Points, Westin or Sheraton Grande.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat

Le Meridien - 2 minute walk to Pat Pong.

Any of the Sukhumvit hotels ( Westin, Sheraton, 4 Pts) are a 5 minute
walk to either Soi Cowboy or Nana Plaza.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Blimey everyone knows the HOT locations :-)
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
You can get to the 'nightlife' easy enough from either the W or the St R. The Westin is a dull hotel in my view. The W is more of a party hotel and the St R is more upmarket. Personally, I always stay at the St R now.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:17 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by matthandy
You can get to the 'nightlife' easy enough from either the W or the St R. The Westin is a dull hotel in my view. The W is more of a party hotel and the St R is more upmarket. Personally, I always stay at the St R now.
The Westin is dull unless you happen to hit it during a pool party. http://www.westingrandesukhumvit.com/pool-party

The Aloft has a disco called Levels at the front door and great blues around the corner at Apotheka.

The St Regis hardly has a 7-11 outside for a quick snack.

I think we need to know more about the poster's idea of nightlife to be more helpful.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:15 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Pool Party's

Originally Posted by yosithezet
... dull unless you happen to hit it during a pool party.
As an in-house guest, what do you think of these pool partys?

I've had it a few times and it can really ruin an otherwise good stay. Theworst was at the Sofitel So (BKK). Whereas, when I stayed at the Four Points (Soi 15) they put me in the opposite building because they'd had problems of complaints from previous events. Because the hotel was pro-active, the stay was still good, (except that I didn't get to use the pool).

As it stands, if I know there's a pool party, I will cancel my booking and stay elsewhere.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
The Aloft has a disco called Levels at the front door and great blues around the corner at Apotheka.
Late last year I stumbled across Apotheka and have been back a couple of times now.
Also visited Nest roof top bar virtually next door to Apotheka and like it to sit have a drink and relax a bit while listening to the DJ who plays a variety of tracks and not at loud volumes either.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:57 pm

The W is about a 10 minute walk away from Patpong but farther away from everything else. The bar downstairs at the W is a nice spot and crowded often, but outside the hotel it is mostly business buildings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.