Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by geilux
Planning a short 48H stopover in BKK in July with wife and kids
Am SPG PLAT
Which property hast best upgrade potential in July ?
Upgrade potential probably ROS though I wouldnt recommend as the breakfast in lounge is mediocre. LM is very good with uprades and is a nice hotel. St Regis is also pretty good with upgrades. The metropolitan suites there are very nice but generally have a poor view.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:56 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by schoflyer
I'm at the 4pts tonight. I find the hard product a clear notch above Aloft. The breakfast is once again a good breakfast but not comparable to a Cat 4 buffet. Most of the people I've seen with negative comments don't like paying up 1000 points for a deluxe award booking when the comfort rooms were sold out. Sure, not ideal, but last week I was faced with 5k for urban at the Aloft, 5K for Deluxe at 4pts, 5.5k for Jr Suite at 4pts. I chose 4pts and was happy enough to swap another 2 cancelable nights this week from Aloft over here. I'll be working up a more detailed Cat 2 BKK showdown between the two properties in the next few days.
At this rate, you really owe it to us to spend a night at all the other SPG properties in BKK and give us a completely review of the city.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:16 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by geilux
Planning a short 48H stopover in BKK in July with wife and kids
Am SPG PLAT
Which property hast best upgrade potential in July ?
Best upgrade chance as a Plat, Royal Orchid Sheraton

Worst upgrade chance as a Plat (with no stay history), Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by yosithezet
At this rate, you really owe it to us to spend a night at all the other SPG properties in BKK and give us a completely review of the city.
You make the bookings with your points and I'll do it.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I'm kinda surprised that people are saying that. I think at ROS, my upgrade success has been subpar. Seems like I most often find myself in the junior suite, which is kinda depressing. It's hard to argue with the place on a THB2000 BRG, but then it's also hard to pass up the SR on a THB4000 BRG or the W on a THB3300 BRG.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:10 pm

I have done all but the LMS.

For upgrades I would state the top three as I put above.

I would like to do th PA again since the refurb and its been a while since I was at SGS but my current preferred places to stay would be LM (value) W (value when on BRG which is always and I like the vibe) PA (best lounge and great pool and there are plenty of BRG opportunities to get a great rate) for one or two nights I like the Aloft (dont have to leave Soi 11 and can have plenty of fun). Westin has a good lounge for snacking but not so great for ambiance. If I took money out of the equation then StR would be my first port of call.

I think SGS is overrated as the rooms are similar in size to PA and Westin and I can always find great rates (usually 1000 THB a night or more) for the latter two vs SGS. As this comes out of my pocket it is always a consideration and I find I can just spend that money on better things as apart from breakfast I dont use many hotel facilities. Im actually pushing it to recollect when I actually paid for any services at the end of my stay (probably not their ideal customer) but then again why travel to lock yourself up in a hotel.

ROS I avoid as I dont like the area or the no breakfast at the restaurant. If the allowed surrender of the 500 points to do the breakfast in the restaurant I would do it. They do a good job with upgrades but the suites are at the bottom of the scale in comparison to the others. It is almost a certain that you can find a BRG for this hotel so sometimes good for an overnighter if just looking for a room.

I generally avoid the 4P. The breakfast is similar to Aloft. Can get anywhere with relative ease but its lacks a vibe which I think is that they really dont care if you stay there or not because they chase a different clientel than SPG elites.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:23 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
You are making me want to try out the W.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
my suggestion is probably not to try W if one is comfortable with other hotels.

I had an okay experience, but the breakfast was really good.

Wasn't anything bad, except my PLT status was somehow not registered and had to 'ask' for an upgrade.

http://goodhotelreview.blogspot.com/.../wbangkok.html
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by geminidreams
I have done all but the LMS.

PA (best lounge and great pool and there are plenty of BRG opportunities to get a great rate)
I'm only missing W and LM (Surawong). I'd have done the complete tour de force this trip but I have a bit of a different agenda and I'm pinching my points. Aloft and 4Pts with an SGS sprinkling here and there.

Has anything changed about the PA pool? In the past the turnoff for me was that it seemed like big bare deck/roof pool area and then the bar/restaurant was in a concrete breezeway. I just looked at the picture on SPG.com and it seems far more "lush" than I remember. Of course the construction of the residences is completed now as well.

It's also hard to accept that this is the property where people (including me) went for the cheapest deal on a nice SPG when in BKK. Didn't it jump from Cat 2 to Cat 4? As an SGS loyalist, I don't think the PA will ever be able to get my business now that the Cat rankings are at par.

The Westin's vibe is certainly more Thai than Westin Global. As a comparison, I'd say that the Westin Tokyo for example has far less of a Japanese vibe than The Westin Bangkok's Thai feel. Especially in the suites. Lounge and strong breakfast buffet along with the points included.

Is there anything distinctly Thai about the the W, LM, or St.R or could these properties just be picked up and dropped off in another world City and for the most part fit right in? My take is Basic Global look and feel hence my passing on 2 of the 3 above options in the past.

The Aloft and Four Points in BKK are obviously for the more cost/point conservative SPG loyalist set. Some may say they are overpriced for their market and the HIX or Ibis are cheaper but the last time I checked those properties do not offer SPG nights and stays. IMHO the Aloft and 4pts are Top Performers amongst their brands in a global sense but certainly not oozing Thai flavor.

When in Thailand I like to feel like I'm here. That one reason I enjoy my time at the SGS so much. Sala's "Tropical Thai" feel in the heart of the city is the difference maker for me. Don't have time to go to an island...fine head to Asoke. Honestly, I don't want to sit in a lounge when I'm in Thailand unless that's my only choice for complimentary drinks Some may disagree which is their prerogative.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Never been to ROS, but LM also has a great PLT upgrade success rate.

Worst upgrade chance as a Plat (with no stay history), Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.
I'll disagree here. This is the only Starwood in Bangkok, I believe, with reports that if they cannot upgrade PLT at checkin, they'll call you within a day or two and offer a suite upgrade as it becomes available.

You are making me want to try out the W.
As my grandmother used to say (I think maybe it originated in a Yiddush expression), -- Bite your tongue!!

Is there anything distinctly Thai about the the W, LM, or St.R or could these properties just be picked up and dropped off in another world City and for the most part fit right in? My take is Basic Global look and feel hence my passing on 2 of the 3 above options in the past.
Never stayed at StR, but I agree regarding W and LM.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:12 pm

I'm only missing W and LM (Surawong). I'd have done the complete tour de force this trip but I have a bit of a different agenda and I'm pinching my points. Aloft and 4Pts with an SGS sprinkling here and there.

Has anything changed about the PA pool? In the past the turnoff for me was that it seemed like big bare deck/roof pool area and then the bar/restaurant was in a concrete breezeway. I just looked at the picture on SPG.com and it seems far more "lush" than I remember. Of course the construction of the residences is completed now as well.

It's also hard to accept that this is the property where people (including me) went for the cheapest deal on a nice SPG when in BKK. Didn't it jump from Cat 2 to Cat 4? As an SGS loyalist, I don't think the PA will ever be able to get my business now that the Cat rankings are at par.

The Westin's vibe is certainly more Thai than Westin Global. As a comparison, I'd say that the Westin Tokyo for example has far less of a Japanese vibe than The Westin Bangkok's Thai feel. Especially in the suites. Lounge and strong breakfast buffet along with the points included.

The Aloft and Four Points in BKK are obviously for the more cost/point conservative SPG loyalist set. Some may say they are overpriced for their market and the HIX or Ibis are cheaper but the last time I checked those properties do not offer SPG nights and stays. IMHO the Aloft and 4pts are Top Performers amongst their brands in a global sense but certainly not oozing Thai flavor.

When in Thailand I like to feel like I'm here. That one reason I enjoy my time at the SGS so much. Sala's "Tropical Thai" feel in the heart of the city is the difference maker for me. Don't have time to go to an island...fine head to Asoke. Honestly, I don't want to sit in a lounge when I'm in Thailand unless that's my only choice for complimentary drinks Some may disagree which is their prerogative.
I was last at PA in July and nothing had changed at the pool. I like open pools and a bit of depth at PA is best of those Ive tried in BKK. I like the landscaping around it as well. I dont think I have ever been on a sun lounge longer than 5 minutes so whilst I can understand the appeal of the SGS pool for relaxing, the pool itself is what I am after. I had a booking for 3200 baht for jan on BRG but cancelled as decided with the merger and my reduced travel this year that I would burn points instead. While PA went up a category I think they have trouble selling rooms at the advertised price. My last three stays have all been BRGs with the highest rate being 3600.

I dont know if I would say the W has anything distinctly Thai. I really like the breakfast. Again I have managed to find BRGs around 3300 to 3400 baht per night which I think is excellent value and I do like the suites there. The plat recognition isnt so great in terms of evening drinks (4 vouchers for 1 drink over 4 nights). They do offer half price to plats and whilst this is not so great they have a good variety of cocktails and the wife an I are not big drinkers so it is interesting to try a couple of cocktails now and again and not be restricted to a set menu or time.

The StR didnt have a particular Thai flavour but the rooms were well appointed and presented.

I often stay at the Aloft and enjoy it. Usually only spend one or two nights coming in or going out. I have mixed stays at the 4P. Will usually give the Aloft preference by about 4 to 1 at this point. The reality is I can usually get the Westin, PA or W for 300 - 400 baht more than 4P but get so much more in terms of plat benefits that I usually dont consider staying there.

Again the LM is more trendy European. Its a great hotel if in a suite, the standard rooms not so much.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:44 pm

I do understand that the cash prices in between the properties is not that far off especially for those along Sukhumvit. Things were a bit whacked this month with Chinese New Years/Hi Season pushing up occupancy and rates.

My sojourn has been primarily points based in an effort to minimize cash expense. My original plan was to have a far more liberal sprinkling of SGS throughout my trip, but a good friend reminded me that my mission was to spend points and as little cash as possible this trip. I've done this by setting my priorities in this order. Aloft @ 3k nights, Aloft @ 4k nights, Aloft 3rd night free @ Avg. 2100++, SGS 3rd night free @ Avg. 4400++, 4pts @ 5.5k (jr suite) nights. Without too much of a drill down my accommodation costs are running about $40 and 2600 points per night not including bonus/promotions over the course of 3 weeks.

I have blown off Cat 3 altogether and am at Cat 4 only when I have friends of family flying in to meet me.

Last edited by schoflyer; Feb 14, 2016 at 9:01 pm
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I consider the PA pool area to be very attractive. There's not a lot of space around the pool to lounge and sun, but the pool has nice blue tile that looks pretty and feels good on your feet. There's a bit of grass, some palm trees, and shaded space (in addition to the bar/lounge in the building with an entire wall open to the pool deck). I liked it very much.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I consider the PA pool area to be very attractive. There's not a lot of space around the pool to lounge and sun, but the pool has nice blue tile that looks pretty and feels good on your feet. There's a bit of grass, some palm trees, and shaded space (in addition to the bar/lounge in the building with an entire wall open to the pool deck). I liked it very much.
Agree. Nice pool, lovely lounge, easy access to transport, well above average breakfast , great fitness facilities, upgrades are common and when not offered the accommodation is still good.
SPG members are spoilt for choice in Bangkok.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jpdx
I'm kinda surprised that people are saying that. I think at ROS, my upgrade success has been subpar. Seems like I most often find myself in the junior suite, which is kinda depressing. It's hard to argue with the place on a THB2000 BRG, but then it's also hard to pass up the SR on a THB4000 BRG or the W on a THB3300 BRG.
where are you finding these brg rates????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.