Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
SPG Bangkok Cat 2 Smackdown

I’m just finishing up a lengthy stay in Bangkok, a place where I’ve traveled a number of times over the last 12 years. I’ve always strive to stay at the SGS because the Sala and Pool is a special place for me. However, this trip my agenda was slightly different. My goal was to maximize my nights while minimizing cash expenditure. Not necessarily doable at the SGS. Sure on nights there was a good cash rate I paid cash, but I focused a lot on stretching my points as far as they would take me.

Originally I thought that I proceed with a liberal sprinkling of the SGS including a 5th night free award as well as C&P weekends, burn C&P at the Westin and take advantage of some low weekend redemptions rates at the Aloft . However, I quickly found that I’d have a cash budget over run and be coming up with far fewer nights than I desired while draining my points reserves.

A friend and Flyertalker helped me re-center and prioritize. First and foremost this was a business trip with the goal being to maximize nights and value at lowest burn rate possible.

The result was embarking on a journey and staying at SPG properties where I would not normally stay. Sure I stayed at the SGS for a few nights but I had a in-depth look at the SPG Cat 2s in Bangkok and ignored the Cat 3s (Sorry Westin) altogether.

In the end I came up with a new appreciation for BKK Cat 2s, the Four Points and Aloft. These are both solid SPG properties that no doubt can appeal to a subset of SPG members traveling to BKK.

It’s not going to work if you demand people fawning over, a lounge, a non-bogo happy hour, or a “free” breakfast and a platinum amenity.
It is going to work for you if you are looking for a good value, want to stretch your points, or don’t need/typically receive complimentary Platinum breakfast and or happy hour.

I like the Aloft. It’s nice & clean. The breakfast is good.
I like the Four Points. It’s nice & clean. The breakfast is good.

All things being equal, my nod goes to the Four Points based on its location and more refined hard product. The Aloft does have a nice vibe if that is your thing and, for my dates, I found some super compelling rates at the Aloft (both points rates and cash rates) which necessitated my dealing with the location deep down Soi 11 for more than a few nights.

Bottom line, check your dates and rates. Unfortunately, no 5th night free or nights and flights on Cat 2.

I’m not here to re-hash, just to point you too the details. Please see my reviews at the links below. I hope my contribution will help you decide.

Four Points Sheraton Bangkok Sukhumvit Soi 15
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26196934-post1046.html

Aloft Sukhumvit Soi 11
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26181698-post589.html
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:45 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Compare the hix rates opposite and you won't find the aloft to be good value anymore. Aloft offers more service and a pool but hix offers free breakfast and rates 1000 bath cheaper on average. Bed is imho better than at aloft but at least comparable.

Are u still around for the next days scho? We'll be moving to WGS tomorrow. Currently at Méridien SURAWONG
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by cln
Compare the hix rates opposite and you won't find the aloft to be good value anymore. Aloft offers more service and a pool but hix offers free breakfast and rates 1000 bath cheaper on average. Bed is imho better than at aloft but at least comparable.

Are u still around for the next days scho? We'll be moving to WGS tomorrow. Currently at Méridien SURAWONG
cln:
HIX doesn't earn SPG nights or stays and does not further my goals or other SPG members goals looking to be requalify for their loyalty program of choice. The HIX does not redeem *points either AFAIK. If my goal was to stay for "cheaper" I could but I cannot stay for "cheaper and earn SPG credit". Hence my post in SPG forum.
Cheers!
YGPM
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I find it difficult to understand why The LM and the Westin are moving up a category. Neither will be able to sustain higher pricing, the Westin already provides good BRG opportunities and the LM likely will follow. I guess they provide a disincentive for redeeming points but the big attraction for both is they are such good value for people who want the experience but are prepared to accept some minor flaws to get the better price.

Four Points being category 3 is hard to rationalise. I guess it will be interesting to compare the Marriot properties post merger to the SPG ones.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:13 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by cln

I've stayed at the HIX Suk 11 and though their rates are lower than Aloft's rack rates, it's about the same as what I'm paying next week (3 nights) and the following week (6 nts) on SPG's 3 for 2 rates. Mine include breakfast. I can tell you that the HIX breakfast is, well, a "standard" HIX breakfast, whereas scho's description of the Aloft's is much better.

Plus, the rooms at the HIX are small and no views.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by schoflyer
I like the Aloft. It’s nice & clean. The breakfast is good.
I stay at the Aloft a few times each year. Last time I tried the breakfast, which admittedly was a few years ago, I found it inedible. Based on your review, I will try it again next time I am there.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I stay at the Aloft a few times each year. Last time I tried the breakfast, which admittedly was a few years ago, I found it inedible. Based on your review, I will try it again next time I am there.
Want to read your report Doc for the old vs new. It was my first time there so nothing for reference. A made to order omelet served on a plate size of your choosing is difficult to botch. I tend to avoid chaffing dishes where ever I go and the bakery was fresh not stale. Add OJ to the smoothie! And give the automatic pancake machine a whirl which I did not.
-Scho

Last edited by schoflyer; Feb 22, 2016 at 1:34 am
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Just back from W Bangkok. Got nice studio for 8000 per night after taxes. Funky and spotless, cool guests, friendly staff, slightly disappointing food though. Overall 8,5/10.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:20 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Eugeniusz Bodo
Just back from W Bangkok. Got nice studio for 8000 per night after taxes. Funky and spotless, cool guests, friendly staff, slightly disappointing food though. Overall 8,5/10.
THB 8,000 for a studio? Is this per night? Which property?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by schoflyer
... the bakery was fresh not stale. Add OJ to the smoothie! And give the automatic pancake machine a whirl which I did not.
-Scho
We don't have the pancake machines in the U.S., at least not that I've seen. I tried it once at Sheraton Pattaya and wasn't impressed with the output. Freshly squished OJ?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:25 am

Freshly squished OJ?
There was some pulp. Multiple juice dispensing towers with taps refilled by pitcher wielding staff. Freshly squished as far as you know. Adding the juice to the smoothie corrects the complaint that the guava, passion fruit concoction has separated and potentially masks any Tipco-essence.

I did not want to ruin the novelty of the machine so I avoided the product preferring to wolf down a soft and fluffy blueberry muffin.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:22 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by rbAA
I've stayed at the HIX Suk 11 and though their rates are lower than Aloft's rack rates, it's about the same as what I'm paying next week (3 nights) and the following week (6 nts) on SPG's 3 for 2 rates. Mine include breakfast. I can tell you that the HIX breakfast is, well, a "standard" HIX breakfast, whereas scho's description of the Aloft's is much better.

Plus, the rooms at the HIX are small and no views.
I have stayed at both and have found the HIX for 1,500++ Baht. I have never seen the Aloft even close to that, ever, even with the 3 for 2 rates.

I have never had breakfast at the HIX, and it looks pretty basic. I have had breakfast at the Aloft and I find it to be very nice.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Kalboz
THB 8,000 for a studio? Is this per night? Which property?

Originally Posted by Eugeniusz Bodo
I.E. He got a Studio Suite at the W Bangkok and it was 8,000 Baht per night after taxes. That is 6,800++ Baht, which is the normal rate for the Studio Suite (checking a few days it is 6,572++ Baht or 7,736 tax/fees inclusive for the Studio Suite, so OP is probably rounding up).

Last edited by whimike; Feb 22, 2016 at 3:29 am
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by whimike
I have stayed at both and have found the HIX for 1,500++ Baht. I have never seen the Aloft even close to that, ever, even with the 3 for 2 rates.
My best was 2050++
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:53 pm

We don't have the pancake machines in the U.S., at least not that I've seen. I tried it once at Sheraton Pattaya and wasn't impressed with the output. Freshly squished OJ?
I've seen them in Alaska Airlines Boardroom lounges in the US and at a few hotels in the US, although I can't remember which hotels. I also saw the machine at the Sheraton Pattaya but I didn't use it. The pancakes are pretty small and not particularly tasty enough to sit there waiting for the machine to spit them out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.