Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:45 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by myko85
If price does not matter, which SPG BKK hotel would you guys stay in?

My corp rate lets me get the St regis @ 4.2k baht/night -- so all the hotel prices are roughly the same.

Which property does happy hour/breakfast the best?

Thanks!
If price was the same and I didn't have history with the WGS, I'd stay at the SGS if I was going to be out and about or enjoying Sunday Jazzy brunch or lazing by the pool, and PA if I was going to be spending lots of time relaxing and working in the lounge.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:36 am

Which Bangkok hotel for reward night

I wanted to get some opinions about my upcoming Bangkok trip and which hotel to use for SPG points. We will be staying for 3 nights before moving on to other parts of Thailand. Here are the 2 options I'm considering.

1) Aloft Bangkok - 3500 pts/night, from my research this seems to be incredible value. Some complaints about the busy street and the club at night. Redemption value approx 3 cents/pt using the flexible rate.

2) St. Regis - 12000 pts/night. Almost 3x more points as the ALoft, but I still think it's a good deal for a St. Regis property. I never stayed at a St. Regis but always wanted to. Great reviews on Tripadvisor. Redemption value approx 2.5 cents/pt using the flexible rate.

Which option would you guys recommend? I've never been to Bangkok, but is it the type of city where the luxury of St. Regis would be worth it? FWIW, we are a married couple in our late 30's.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Hi, Ed, welcome to FT. For my money, I'd choose Aloft in that situation. For your three nights, it will be 25K points less than the StR. Those 25K points will be useful to you. While it's not my regular BKK hotel, I do stay in Aloft when I'm looking for a low cost option. It's not luxurious; but it's perfectly fine. Comfortable, clean, and staff is both friendly and accommodating. Walk to public transportation (BTS - elevated train) is <10 minutes, and the hotel has a tuk-tuk (like a large golf cart) which will drive you up there, too, at no charge.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where in Bangkok to you wish to be located? These two hotels are in very different neighborhoods. Do you want the crazy nightlife at your doorstep or do you want a more sedate place near upscale shopping malls? Both hotels are good for public transportation, although the StR is actually connected to a station. You might want to check and compare the logistics of getting to/from the airport.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
IMHO it doesn't make ANY sense to use SPG points in Bangkok due to the cheap rates here. Maybe the aloft but afaik that went up one category.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:45 pm

The Aloft is fluctuating between 2.400 and 3,000 Baht (++) ie around 65-75 USD. It would not be the best use of your points , you would get a much better $ return in other destinations. Pretty much the same at StR.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by paolo64
The Aloft is fluctuating between 2.400 and 3,000 Baht (++) ie around 65-75 USD. It would not be the best use of your points , you would get a much better $ return in other destinations. Pretty much the same at StR.
For that rate you can easily get a BRG at the ROS
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Indeed so. And long may these low rates continue because for those keen on Bangkok and other Thai destinations these are real bargains.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
The ROS is completely useless though considering it's bad location and not comparable with a Sukhumvit option.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:42 am

I will be in BKK twice as stopover to/from Koh Samui at end of August, first 5 days and on return 2 days.
First stay I want choose between SGS and StR, on return W or LM BKK.

Can you told me where is better breakfest ?
And from which W or LM I wil have better transfer to airport rail/taxi (we have 10am return fly)
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Ed LVster
I wanted to get some opinions about my upcoming Bangkok trip and which hotel to use for SPG points. We will be staying for 3 nights before moving on to other parts of Thailand. Here are the 2 options I'm considering.

1) Aloft Bangkok - 3500 pts/night, from my research this seems to be incredible value. Some complaints about the busy street and the club at night. Redemption value approx 3 cents/pt using the flexible rate.

2) St. Regis - 12000 pts/night. Almost 3x more points as the ALoft, but I still think it's a good deal for a St. Regis property. I never stayed at a St. Regis but always wanted to. Great reviews on Tripadvisor. Redemption value approx 2.5 cents/pt using the flexible rate.

Which option would you guys recommend? I've never been to Bangkok, but is it the type of city where the luxury of St. Regis would be worth it? FWIW, we are a married couple in our late 30's.

Thanks in advance.
Depends what you are after though.

Last edited by yosithezet; Apr 24, 2016 at 10:46 am Reason: Post merger cleanup
Old Apr 23, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
As far as breakfast SGS is better than StR and W is better than LM.

LM and W are close to each other, 1 BTS stop. W is closer to BTS but 1 stop further out. It is easy and a short distance from both to go to Phaya Thai BTS by taxi where the Airport train departs. Unless you are travelling light I would just take a taxi to the train or all the way to the airport.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:19 am

About SGS breakfast I'm not shure if I read new posts from BKK starwood, I see post which told W and PA catch SGS in breakfast quality. New answer from SGS is Executive Breakfast but only for platinium.

First stopover I book STR rate with breakfast 120EUR end of august and now I have too choose stopover on return in begining september 115EUR with breakfast at SGS or 120EUR with breakfast at W. I don't choose LM BKK with this prices of W/SGS.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by HHQX888
About SGS breakfast I'm not shure if I read new posts from BKK starwood, I see post which told W and PA catch SGS in breakfast quality. New answer from SGS is Executive Breakfast but only for platinium.
IMO neither PA nor W come close to SGS for breakfast. I've never stayed at StR; but anecdotal reports about breakfast there are positive.

Originally Posted by HHQX888
First stopover I book STR rate with breakfast 120EUR end of august and now I have too choose stopover on return in begining september 115EUR with breakfast at SGS or 120EUR with breakfast at W. I don't choose LM BKK with this prices of W/SGS.
EUR 115 with breakfast is not a bad rate at all at SGS, it's approximately THB 4,500 (++, presumably). EUR 125 = THB 4,725 (again, likely ++). IMO you're making the right choice. I've been to W a few times and stayed there once. Very disappointing, though others may have had different experiences.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Apr 25, 2016 at 9:18 am
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Ed LVster

Thanks in advance.
as has been pointed out, hard to make a rec when we really have no idea what the goals are, but having just got back from st regis bangkok, had to chime in. fantastic fantastic property. traveling thru asia w/ teens, staying at shangri la's and MOs, they loved this property...which was a nice respite for them during heat of day

Last edited by yosithezet; Apr 24, 2016 at 10:46 am Reason: Post merger cleanup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.