Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by schoflyer
Want to read your report Doc for the old vs new.
I have nothing new to report since I haven't been there in a while. The old report is in the Aloft thread as post 471.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I have nothing new to report since I haven't been there in a while. The old report is in the Aloft thread as post 471.
Ya, I get it. It's time to try Doc.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Kalboz
THB 8,000 for a studio? Is this per night? Which property?
W, probably the most funky hotel in town! yes, per night, 7838 THB to be exact!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:53 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Aloft breakfast

I stay at the Aloft a few times each year. Last time I tried the breakfast, which admittedly was a few years ago, I found it inedible. Based on your review, I will try it again next time I am there.
I just finished a three night stay at the Aloft, pay 2 with third free included breakfast. I didn't find anything inedible. Quite to the contrary, egg station (had an omelet once and poached once,) crisp bacon, fresh fruit and salad, variety of breads, pastries, desserts and a great fruit smoothie. And the BBQ pork buns were some of the best. The veges dish was not overcooked, the pork or chicken (alternated days) dishes had great flavor and quality. I don't do encased meats (except on certain occasions,) so not sure how the sausages were. Weak spot was the juice selection and not close to fresh squeezed, but drinkable.

Of course, it's not the SGS nor Westin spread (was at the SGS for three nights before the Aloft and I'm here at the Westin now on buy 2 third free including breakfast,) which I find quite over the top, especially since I'm trying to lose weight-never a good idea when travelling but in BKK it works.

And, my net nightly rate came out to only about 200 baht more than the HIX across the street, where the breakfast is, well, inedible. Plus, nice shuttle ride to Soi 15 when I needed to change to the Westin-traffic restrictions so couldn't take me to the front door.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: Marriott LTG is all that's left.
I'm swaying back and forth between the following two options, and -- despite the wealth of information in this thread -- seem unable to make up my mind. As a Gold member, for a 3 night leisure stay in May with spouse (agenda: sight-seeing and eating; early check-in and late check-out requested), which of the following options seems preferable:
(1) SGS - 3,050 THB++ for grande room (no breakfast)
(2) St. Regis - 4,420 THB++ for deluxe room (not sure if breakfast included)
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you want to be in the middle of the "action" or do you want a more quiet location? Does the 50% price difference matter much to you? (BTW, these both look like good rates.)
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:28 pm

How would you guys compare SGS vs. The St. Regis BKK? Which one is better?

Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:52 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I've stayed at the St Regis three times and am impressed by the hard product but find the service disappointing when taking into account the aura of St. Regis. I would go for the SGS every time if all things were equal. At the prices listed above, I'd go for the SGS even over my personal favorite WGS. It is lower than my quote low corporate rate at the WSG! ^

Last edited by yosithezet; Mar 11, 2016 at 9:11 pm
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you want to be in the middle of the "action" or do you want a more quiet location? Does the 50% price difference matter much to you? (BTW, these both look like good rates.)
Presumably middle of the action, but both seemed fairly convenient to get to places. If I were Plat, I'd go with SGS as the upgrade probability seems fairly high -- my main concern is whether the service level for the standard rooms at the StR is significantly better than that at the SGS.

Both rates were BRGs, btw.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by flyino07
(1) SGS - 3,050 THB++ for grande room (no breakfast)
How did you get that rate? I can't recall the last time I saw one that low at SGS. If you prefer to PM, feel free.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:18 pm

How did you get that rate? I can't recall the last time I saw one that low at SGS. If you prefer to PM, feel free.
BRG -- posted about it in the BRG thread.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I've stayed at the St Regis three times and am impressed by the hard product but find the service disappointing when taking into account the aura of St. Regis. I would go for the SGS every time if all things were equal. At the prices listed above, I'd go for the SGS even over my personal favorite WGS. It is lower than my quote low corporate rate at the WSG! ^
If price does not matter, which SPG BKK hotel would you guys stay in?

My corp rate lets me get the St regis @ 4.2k baht/night -- so all the hotel prices are roughly the same.

Which property does happy hour/breakfast the best?

Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by myko85
If price does not matter, which SPG BKK hotel would you guys stay in?

My corp rate lets me get the St regis @ 4.2k baht/night -- so all the hotel prices are roughly the same.

Which property does happy hour/breakfast the best?

Thanks!
Generally I spread my stays over 3 hotels when in BKK. I think StR has best hard product and is convenient to Siam/Paragon, MBK and Silom. Breakfast is good but second tier to the best. I never went to the happy hour.

For me SGS and PA have similar hard product. SGS is convenient to terminal 21 and the BTS, PA is close to BTS but need to travel to points of interest. Both have excellent breakfast. PA has happy hour in the best Club lounge I have experienced. SGS happy hour is available in several locations.

W has good hard product and excellent breakfast. Location is near a BTS but is a bit more remote from points of interest. Happy hour is pretty much non existent.

LM has nice suites but normal rooms are not great. Breakfast is good but second tier. Happy hour is pleasant in Bamboo Chic. I like the location opposite Patpong but many dont. BTS is not far to walk.

Westin is nice hotel but seems tired. Breakfast is OK, club lounge is OK. Location is directly opposite SGS.

I would stay and do stay in all of them from time to time. The one I most look forward to is the W at the moment because of value, breakfast and vibe. I like the rooms at StR and the SGS and PA give good allround service and product. LM and Westin are often the best value with some minor flaws that dont worry me particularly but lead them to be ranked a little lower.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:29 am

@Geminidreams
Why do you say the W represents good value when it it consistently significantly more expensive than most of the others? It's the only one I've not stayed at so I am wondering what I'm missing? Until I read part of this thread I had assumed it was in a poor location but now glean that it's very accessible from BTS, right?

Sorry, I can see it's not Gemindreams saying that about W but someone else whose post I can no longer find

Last edited by paolo64; Mar 12, 2016 at 12:32 am Reason: Misunderstood
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by paolo64
@Geminidreams
Why do you say the W represents good value when it it consistently significantly more expensive than most of the others? It's the only one I've not stayed at so I am wondering what I'm missing? Until I read part of this thread I had assumed it was in a poor location but now glean that it's very accessible from BTS, right?

Sorry, I can see it's not Gemindreams saying that about W but someone else whose post I can no longer find
I always stay there on a BRG, generally pay around 32-3300 baht. It is close to bts, can access it via building opposite, it is one station on from Sala Daeng and 3 stops from Siam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.