Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old Jan 1, 2009, 7:20 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Arrow Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

I'm returning to the Land of Smiles early next year and wanted to pick out someone's brain

I usually stay at the SGS and think the extra comp. benefits as a PLT is great ^ I like the happy hour drinks, comp buffet breakfast, free internet, also the SGS pool is probably one of the nicest/relaxing city hotel pools I've ever come across. But for some strange reason, past 1am here in SYD - my mind tells me I should visit the ROS for a few nights!

So I need some more info about the ROS that could influence my decision. Does the ROS offer any above and beyond treatments as a PLT like the SGS does? Could I choose to take my buffet breakfast by the river, rather than in the exec. lounge. Thanks in adv.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by alanslegal
But for some strange reason, past 1am here in SYD - my mind tells me I should visit the ROS for a few nights!
You clearly need some rest. Hopefully when fully awake make the right decision and decide to stay at the SGS.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by holtju2
You clearly need some rest. Hopefully when fully awake make the right decision and decide to stay at the SGS.
hehe

Now I realised I said early next year (2010?) LOL

I meant in early this year - I thought I was still living in 2008!
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:02 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by alanslegal
. Does the ROS offer any above and beyond treatments as a PLT like the SGS does? Could I choose to take my buffet breakfast by the river, rather than in the exec. lounge.
I don't know what Plat Treatment you are talking about at the SGS. I guess you mean the internet and a few items of laundry? Every time I book the SGS I get nothing in terms of an upgrade. All the SPG BKK hotels offer breakfast (not sure about the new Meridian) and some type of cocktail hour.

The ROS is corporate owned (49%, I think). They allocate Plats a Club Room and sometimes a Suite. The ROS lounge is easily the best that SPG offers in BKK. The food offerings are small for tea time, but quite good for happy hour. You can have breakfast down at the river without issue.

It's a bit of a hastle getting to and from the ROS AT CERTAIN TIMES of the day. But it's also 25% cheaper for the room compared to the SGS.

I don't know what all the fuss is about the SGS. They certainly don't show me any love. I stay about 20 nights a year in BKK... many, many better places than the SGS to choose from.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I don't know what Plat Treatment you are talking about at the SGS. I guess you mean the internet and a few items of laundry? Every time I book the SGS I get nothing in terms of an upgrade. All the SPG BKK hotels offer breakfast (not sure about the new Meridian) and some type of cocktail hour.

The ROS is corporate owned (49%, I think). They allocate Plats a Club Room and sometimes a Suite. The ROS lounge is easily the best that SPG offers in BKK. The food offerings are small for tea time, but quite good for happy hour. You can have breakfast down at the river without issue.

It's a bit of a hastle getting to and from the ROS AT CERTAIN TIMES of the day. But it's also 25% cheaper for the room compared to the SGS.

I don't know what all the fuss is about the SGS. They certainly don't show me any love. I stay about 20 nights a year in BKK... many, many better places than the SGS to choose from.
Just finished staying at the SGS. Payed 5400baht/night for 7 nights. Was upgraded to a suite (have been upgraded everytime as a Platinum). They will also upgrade you to a suite every 10th stay. They also had a 20% discount for food/drinks at all the restaurants (with the exception of brunch) and other 20% options (didn't even charge me for my laundry). Happy hour from 6-8 at all 3 of bars there (they even put some drinks on reserve for me (twice) when I couldn't get there before 8pm). I love the SGS!

However, business is really down. As of Jan 1, Basil and Rossini's will only be open for dinner, Fitness Center/Spa are no longer open 24 hours and the business center is cutting back on their hours as well.

Last edited by SaigonCyclo; Jan 4, 2009 at 3:16 am Reason: more info
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even though business is down and they closed several floors the atmosphere is quite lively. Breakfast tables were 60-80% occupied and pool chairs were mostly taken by late morning. In fact IMO this is a perfect occupancy level from guest's point of view - busy enough to create a nice hotel environment but not too busy ensuring perfect service. I was really impressed.

BTW SGS looked much livelier than the Westin or the Meridian which both appeared completely abandoned.

Overall I'll pick SGS over any other SPG property in BKK and probably over any other major chain hotel there.

Last edited by azepine00; Jan 5, 2009 at 11:10 pm
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver

I'm the OP and based on the advice I got here I ended up staying at the SGS. I have to say that it was just about the best Platinum treatment I've received anywhere.

When people here rave about the SGS, I think they are talking about the great upgrades (I got a 2 bedded suite, which was exactly what I wanted), the happy hour options at several bars, the laundry, the free internet, and of course the breakfast options.

I am intrigued that you say the ROS is better. I haven't stayed there (or anywhere on the river), but may be heading back to BKK in July. Based on this I may consider staying there instead of the SGS.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:40 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
i moved from the ros to the sgs about 6 years ago and never looked back. two 5-6 night stays a year over the last dozen years and the sgs beats the ros hands down
(granted i haven't been back to the ros since i moved- but the sgs location alone is worth it to me).
add to that the fact the general manager of the sgs , richard chapman, is the best hotel manager of any hotel i have ever stayed at. other than saving some money if the ros is cheaper, there is no reason not to stay at the sgs if your choice is a spg property.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by troyb
I am intrigued that you say the ROS is better. I haven't stayed there (or anywhere on the river), but may be heading back to BKK in July. Based on this I may consider staying there instead of the SGS.
My quote was in response to a post considering trying the ROS. I know FTers prefer the SGS, but wanted the poster to be encouraged to go there, if it fit their needs. The ROS has great Plat treatment too, although an end suite seems harder in the last 6 months.

I said the Lounge at the ROS cannot be beat. And at the ROS my upgrade percentage is 100% (80% end suite, a mix of Club Rooms & Jr Suites for the remaining %)

My upgrade % at the SGS is ZERO...
the only hotel in Asia where I've been declined an upgrade every time (and at rates often 30% more than the ROS where I receive one every time). Maybe they're just too popular. To pay more for the SGS makes no sense to me. No big deal... just another point of view.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,

And at the ROS my upgrade percentage is 100% (80% end suite, a mix of Club Rooms & Jr Suites for the remaining %)

My upgrade % at the SGS is ZERO...
I am sure you complained to me during our chat in the lounge at the ROS last week that you had not got a suite on your last three visits there ?.

I agree that the ROS lounge is the best in Bangkok of SPG properties, but I really like the options available at the SGS for free drinks. You did also say you didn't understand why everyone raved about the SGS during the same conversation.

I also think the SGS blows the socks off the ROS. Having said that, it depends what you want from your stay.

We (myself, girlfriend and her parents) just did 4 nights in Bangkok and we split our stays between the ROS and the Hilton. However, this was due to it being her parents first ever visit and as it was a full on 'tourist' visit and included NYE, then the river was a no brainer.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:45 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I said the Lounge at the ROS cannot be beat. And at the ROS my upgrade percentage is 100% (80% end suite, a mix of Club Rooms & Jr Suites for the remaining %)
Can you compare the lounge at the ROS to the lounge at the Plaza Athenee?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Can you compare the lounge at the ROS to the lounge at the Plaza Athenee?
I like the Plaza Athenee lounge more. But the food offerings at the Plaza Athenee are minimal. At the moment, Athenee does not serve breakfast in the lounge, and the Tea Time, and Cocktail Hour food is quite sparse.
The part of the lounge that makes the Athenee better is the physical area, design, etc. Using the middle portion of the building, I'd estimate the area to be the equivalent of 8 rooms. A spattering of couches and tables for large and small groups, a traditional classical Le Meridian Club style, it shows very well.

The ROS is an example of how good something can be when they put the effort into it.
The ROS lounge was newly renovated. They opened up many rooms to make a great layout. Overlooking the River the centre area has a bar in the middle, and sets of couches and tables that groups of 2 & 4 along the windows. On the one side, also overlooking the river, they have many sofa areas that will fit large groups, several tables that sit 4, and the large food servery/buffet area.
Breakfast and Cocktail Hours are wonderful at the ROS Lounge, Tea Time is not bad. The variety, consistency, and delicious imagination of the food choices is to be commended.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:41 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thanks for the great comparison. I really need to check out the ROS one of these days but the ease of getting around the city from PA, WGS and SGS have me spoiled immensely.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm going to be in Thailand for 5 days in February. I'm in BKK for 2 nights, then we are doing a quick Chiang Mai overnight (thanks to Asia Air $0 tickets) and then return to BKK for 2 nights.

The wife and I have never been there before, so we are going to do a lot of the touristy things, but I also would like easy access around the city.

We only want to take a day packs to Chiang Mai, so we want to leave our big bags at our hotel. In the best case scenario I'd like to stay at the ROS the first two nights and the SGS the last two nights, but that would leave issues with our bags. Has anyone ever transfered bags between the two hotels?

Should I just book the SGS or ROS for the entire stay? I'd probably use points for the SGS and book it for 5 nights so I could leave the bags or pay for the ROS in sets of two nights, assuming that I could leave our bags there the one night we are away.

Any advice.

Thanks.
Rich
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Adding to seanthepilot's view, Mrs VanMan and I are now at the Plaza Athenee for the first time. We were upgraded to a Royal Club room adjacent to the Lounge which nicely leaks its free wireless signal to our room. They say a suite is not available, but spg.com disagrees...but the room is fine, and we're not worried about changing. The occupancy is obviously pretty low.

Plats will get a complimentary breakfast at the extensive buffet in the Rain Forest Cafe on the lobby level. Way better than any lounge breakfast I've experienced.

Afternoon tea (3-5pm) is limited to scones, cream and jams + chocolates + probably a savory item like a little foie gras on crackers, but they go early.

Cocktails (6-8pm) are with decent Aussie wines, plus a large range of spirits like JW Black, Bombay Sapphire, etc. The food offering tonight was hot mini quiches, smoked salmon with "caviar", rare tuna on pumpernickel and cheese on a mini toast, plus three or so deserts, including a tasty burnt creme caramel, mixed nut tart, etc.

The staff service level is superb.

All in all, although I really like ROS, I think the LM Plaza Athenee is a great alternative, especially considering that it is five minutes walk to a BTS station, which is just one stop away from world class shopping at CentralWorld and Siam Paragon, and in the other direction, from the pubs, bars and restaurants at Nana and Asok.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.