Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Now if we can just get Marriott to add breakfast as a benefit, I can start to stay at some of them!
I thought Marriott did offer bfast as a Platinum benefit... although it appears a lounge only benefit.

Lounge Access/Free Breakfast
Daily continental breakfast, light snacks and beverages for members and one guest in the Executive Lounge at JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® and Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels®, (resorts excluded).

In the U.S. and Canada, select hotels will provide 750 or 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast in the event the lounge is closed.

See terms & conditions for participating hotels.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:36 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by newshound
Yosi - What do you have against the StR ?
I gave them three chances and while the physical plant is great, the service is not up to the standards that I expect in a property that is positioned in their category.

Stay 1
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post16308749

Stay 2
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post18102857

Stay 3
I didn't really go into the details... but...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post22300036
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:47 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I thought Marriott did offer bfast as a Platinum benefit... although it appears a lounge only benefit.

Lounge Access/Free Breakfast
Daily continental breakfast, light snacks and beverages for members and one guest in the Executive Lounge at JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® and Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels®, (resorts excluded).

In the U.S. and Canada, select hotels will provide 750 or 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast in the event the lounge is closed.

See terms & conditions for participating hotels.
For Marriott Platinum breakfast benefit, the 3 major Bangkok properties differ in their approach:

Renaissance: Breakfast is at the lounge unless booked a breakfast rate

JWM: Traveling as family with kids? You will be allowed to take breakfast in the restaurant. Otherwise, breakfast in the lounge

Marriott Sukhumvit: Breakfast at either the lounge (40th floor) or the restaurant (ground floor).

I have to add that the lounges at these properties surpass any lounge at Bangkok's SPG properties (WGS & ROS), hands down. The food quality, selections, and the service are top notch with hot stations for eggs and other dishes to order. AFAIK, Marriott Golds also enjoy the same breakfast benefits.

Hot station at the lounge - Marriott Sukhumvit 57

Last edited by Kalboz; Nov 30, 2016 at 9:36 am
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
LRM-PA has a good lounge, but breakfast is the big buffet in the restaurant, including hot stations.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Now if we can just get Marriott to add breakfast as a benefit, I can start to stay at some of them!
When they start cross-crediting nights and stays?

Maybe more of a question for Kal ...

Some of the 9 Marriott properties I added are Executive Apartment properties.

Some are shared properties, for example, you can book an EA stay or a hotel stay at the Marriott at Suk Soi 57. They share the same building, but I think some of the other EAs are separate properties (perhaps the Mayfair ones?) I think the EA side gets you more of an apartment with kitchen and maybe laundry facilities vs a normal hotel room on the hotel side.

Are the benefits and credits the same for full service Marriotts vs the Executive Apartment properties? What about at standalone EA properties like the Mayfairs? Are there any other differences we should be aware of w.r.t. status and points/nights/stay earning?

Thanks,
David
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Fair enough Yosi but your last post (and stay?) was over two years ago. Until last weekend mine was roughly the same amount of time ago and I was pleasantly surprised.

Just saying it might be time for another look if you see a good rate as I did last weekend.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Could we please keep the MR stuff in a separate thread? Until the programs are combined I feel they are cluttering this thread.

Last week I stayed at StR, 4P and WGS.

I found StR service top notch - the butler,the concierge and house keeping were all outstanding. I was given checkin at 11am without advance notification. I really felt well looked after.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
When they start cross-crediting nights and stays?

Maybe more of a question for Kal ...

Some of the 9 Marriott properties I added are Executive Apartment properties.

Some are shared properties, for example, you can book an EA stay or a hotel stay at the Marriott at Suk Soi 57. They share the same building, but I think some of the other EAs are separate properties (perhaps the Mayfair ones?) I think the EA side gets you more of an apartment with kitchen and maybe laundry facilities vs a normal hotel room on the hotel side.

Are the benefits and credits the same for full service Marriotts vs the Executive Apartment properties? What about at standalone EA properties like the Mayfairs? Are there any other differences we should be aware of w.r.t. status and points/nights/stay earning?

Thanks,
David
You are correct about the amenities offered by the Executive Apartment (EA) properties with some having full kitchen and washer & dryer.

You will get the points credited for the full spending at the EA, however, unless you got upgraded from the hotel to the EA, you won't get the nights' credit. In 2007 I booked and stayed for 9 nights at the Mayfair Apartments at Langsuan, I was credited with 3 nights only. So for the Mayfair, you get one night credit for every 3-nights stay.

The kitchen (and the den) at the 3 BRM apartment where we were upgraded from the hotel at Suk 57 & got the full nights credit
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:07 pm

Thanks Kal .. yeah I see it here:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/hotels.mi

only 2.5 points per dollar (vs 10 per dollar at full service properties) and 1 elite night credit per 3 stayed at EA properties.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:02 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Thanks for the insight on BKK Marriott properties. It's awesome to have another handful of properties to choose from!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:24 am

Generally I'm not a huge fan of St Regis, finding the decor a bit fussy. That said, I had a terrific stay at the BKK St Regis and have almost changed my mind. Really great service and some of the fussy decor/bling seems to have faded ( or perhaps it's just not as noticeable having come off an EK flight). Very comfortable, perfect for a romantic interlude ( or as in my case a solo stay). Astor Suite upgrade probably helped. Like most people I've stayed in them all (bar The W) but the St Regis has gone up in my estimation.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by paolo64
Generally I'm not a huge fan of St Regis, finding the decor a bit fussy. That said, I had a terrific stay at the BKK St Regis and have almost changed my mind. Really great service and some of the fussy decor/bling seems to have faded ( or perhaps it's just not as noticeable having come off an EK flight). Very comfortable, perfect for a romantic interlude ( or as in my case a solo stay). Astor Suite upgrade probably helped. Like most people I've stayed in them all (bar The W) but the St Regis has gone up in my estimation.
And, in my experience, the St.R comped breakfast is 2nd to none for Bangkok hotels!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Kalboz
And, in my experience, the St.R comped breakfast is 2nd to none for Bangkok hotels!
I would not rate it better than the Westin or LM. Good but not great. The layout is poor, the atmosphere crowded and uncomfortable. PA, SGS and W would all rank higher in my estimation.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Another Sub-forum could be:

Stingiest Starwood property in Bangkok for Platinum Guests.

Trying to be positive by starting with the most generous ones.

- Westin
- Royal Orchid Sheraton
- Plaza Athenee
- Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit
- Le Meridien Suvarnabhumi (I've not been there for a while)
- Le Meridien Bangkok
- St Regis (I've not been there for a while)
- W Bangkok
- Aloft

Four Points: I've never stayed there

Both the brand policies and the ownership have an effect on what the hotels offer.

Last edited by UASPG; Dec 13, 2016 at 9:56 pm
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by UASPG
Another Sub-forum could be:

Stingiest Starwood property in Bangkok for Platinum Guests.

Trying to be positive by starting with the most generous ones.

- Westin
- Royal Orchid Sheraton
- Plaza Athenee
- Le Meridien Suvarnabhumi (I've not been there for a while)
- Le Meridien Bangkok
- St Regis (I've not been there for a while)
- W Bangkok
- Aloft

Four Points: I've never stayed there

Both the brand policies and the ownership have an effect on what the hotels offer.
Never stayed at Le Meridien Suvarnabhumi or Le Meridien Bangkok, here is my ranking for the most generous:

- St Regis
- Plaza Athenee
- Royal Orchid Sheraton
- Westin
- Aloft
- 4P

Last edited by Kalboz; Dec 14, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.