Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium , National Car Emerald Club Exec Elite, AC 50K Elite
Unsatisfactory Stay and Follow-up

Arrived at this property Dec 26th for a 6 night stay. On check-in, was advised of an available Platinum upgrade to a non-smoking suite the next day if I didn't mind moving rooms. Expressed both my appreciation and no objections to moving.

Was contacted the next day and advised the initially offered non-smoking suite, had a guest in it, who'd extended his stay. Told that if I was OK with delaying my move-out till 5 pm that afternoon, another non-smoking suite, which was more of a premium suite, would be made available. Responded that this would fine.

By 6 pm I'd not received any word from the front desk despite being advised I would. Contacted the butler and advised she'd look into it. Heard nothing further. Went to the front desk and was assured matters would be addressed asap. Was advised of the suite's availability about 15 minutes later.

Upon entering the suite (Room 713), it smelled of smoke and appeared to be on a smoking floor. Asked both the porter and butler about this, and was assured by both that this was indeed a non-smoking suite notwithstanding it's location and the smell. They offered to refresh" the room. I asked if that meant that chemicals would be applied (I have a lung sensitivity that does not react well to these chemicals). They were both unsure. I asked them to get back to me, indicating that I was not interested in a refresh if it meant the application of chemicals, rather than an ionizer or other process. Both agreed to, but no one did. While unpacking I noticed an ashtray in the suite. Called the butler and asked why if it was indeed non-smoking. No meaningful response was provided. Just another offer to refresh the room. Eventually, after unsuccessfully waiting for someone to address my question on the nature of the proposed suite refresh, I went to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. Was given the assistant manager on duty. I explained the problem. She said she would see to it that the room was refreshed immediately (again advised her about the chemical issue). Was asked to leave the room, which I did. Came back to a strong smell of chemicals. The assistant manager called me to enquire how I liked the room. At this point I was coughing uncontrollably. She admited that a little chemical was used and which given the reaction I was having meant I would need to be moved out of the suite. I asked to be moved back to my previous room. She told me that the room had not been cleaned after my departure. I told her I did not care. She agreed to a move back to the uncleaned room I had before.

As a result of the attempted upgrade, my lungs were left seriously compromised with significant symptoms extending to at least January 3rd. These symptoms included coughing, with mucus, and fatigue (because, my doctor has told me, of not being able to get enough oxygen).

One night during my stay I became trapped in the pedway to the hotel after attempting to return via the BTS Station because the BTS doors were in after-hours-automatic-lock mode, the card reader on the hotel doors was inoperative and there was no intercom or other back-up system in place to get the St Regis doors open. Fortunately I had a cellphone with me and was able to use it to contact the hotel to open the locked hotel doors.

After this stay, Starwood Corporate became involved on my behalf. The same assistant manager responsible for the suite refresh debacle, responded by offering a complimentary upgrade to a Carolyn Astor suite on my next visit. My repeated requests for an explanation of what had actually occured at the operational level were ignored by her. I advised her that I'd lost confidence in the St Regis, did not intend to return (I had at that point already cancelled a followup 5 day stay, a week later), and would not as a result be accepting their offer, as sufficient recompense. Was told by the assistant manager that no other offer would be made. Starwood Corporate advised that because the property was located overseas, it could not enforce a resolution but would request the matter be escalated to another level within the hotel. After almost 2 weeks and numerous emails, I was provided with 10,000 Starwood points and an admission that the suite was indeed a smoking suite despite the numerous and repeated contrary representations. Still haven't received any other explanation for why a chemical was used in the refresh, or why the misrepresentations ever occured. Have been a Lifetime Platinum since the inception of the LP program and currently have just under 700 recorded stays with Starwood.

Last edited by traveldog; Feb 6, 2014 at 7:03 am
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by traveldog
My repeated requests for an explanation of what had actually occurred at the operational level were ignored by her.
Sounds like a disappointing stay, indeed. But, that said, I don't think that you're entitled to the explanation you seek. At an operational level, it's up to the hotel to figure out what happened and how to prevent a recurrence. Just out of curiosity, what would you have done with the explanation? You weren't treated well, and the hotel clearly owes you something, but, IMO, not this.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:44 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
That's very, very poor form. I dare say in some other countries employees don't grasp the gravity of such health issues.

In future, always ask to inspect the new room prior to the move. We ALWAYS do this.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium , National Car Emerald Club Exec Elite, AC 50K Elite
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Sounds like a disappointing stay, indeed. But, that said, I don't think that you're entitled to the explanation you seek. At an operational level, it's up to the hotel to figure out what happened and how to prevent a recurrence. Just out of curiosity, what would you have done with the explanation? You weren't treated well, and the hotel clearly owes you something, but, IMO, not this.
What I would do with the explanation is determine for my own purposes whether this property should be given the benefit of the doubt on what had occurred or draw the inevitable conclusion that I had been wilfully deceived and poisoned. I do not believe that when an error has been made the automatic response should be to "circle the wagons."

If we make an error in my business we believe our client's are entitled to transparency. All businesses make errors. Often clients wish and deserve a better explanation on what has occurred, so that they can draw their own conclusions on whether a simple human mistake or slip up has occurred or something more fundamental to our operations. I have preserved client relationships by following this principal because often without a full explanation people will draw their own unwarranted conclusions. We also do this as a matter of sound ethics, believing we should take full responsibility for what happened and try to make it right with the party who has been wronged. This would include giving them a full explanation on what occurred operationally, especially if they are specifically seeking this information.

I guess the better question is why I'm not entitled to a complete and fullsome explanation on what occurred. The property here at least claimed that they wanted me to take another chance on them and return. Without more information how can I determine whether I should take this risk?

Just so you know, it took 5 repeated requests of the St Regis just to get them to admit I'd been given a smoking suite. If they're truly wishing to win back my business, the fact that it took so much effort to get them to admit even the obvious, is in my opinion telling?

Last edited by traveldog; Feb 6, 2014 at 7:39 am
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
That's very, very poor form. I dare say in some other countries employees don't grasp the gravity of such health issues.

In future, always ask to inspect the new room prior to the move. We ALWAYS do this.
Why?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Why?
It saves the effort of moving only to move again.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It saves the effort of moving only to move again.
Thanks I understand you're trying to be helpful, but the physical act of moving was not the issue in any of this.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Thanks I understand you're trying to be helpful, but the physical act of moving was not the issue in any of this.
Sorry I am confused.

As I read it you picked up the issues in your new room after you had moved as you were stuck in your new room until it was agreed that you would move to your old one.

Had you checked out the room before moving from your old one you would have picked up the issues without the inconvenience of a move or the risk of being stuck in a compromised room. Given your stated health sensitivities I would have thought this would be an essential element of any hotel room move?

Had you been to the room before moving to it you could have rejected it outright as smelling of smoke. Had you given them the chance to freshen it and then reinspected prior to the move you could have known for sure about the chemicals etc. and reverted to your old room. This would have avoided any possible health compromise on your part.

So I would have thought this was pretty relevant really, unless I am misreading your account of your room move. I always ask to see a room before agreeing a move mid stay even if it is an immediate move after arriving in a room. That way I have a clear understanding of my fall back option when I agree or decline a room move.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:33 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Why?
Because you would have smelt the smoke, and refused to move to that room, asked for a different suite, or remained in your original room.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:52 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I'm not surprised. This hotel is run very poorly and seems to rely on the St. Regis reputation rather than providing a quality soft product. Even an email I sent the GM complimenting him on a service recovery event went unacknowledged.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I would do with the explanation is determine for my own purposes whether this property should be given the benefit of the doubt on what had occurred or draw the inevitable conclusion that I had been wilfully deceived and poisoned. I do not believe that when an error has been made the automatic response should be to "circle the wagons."
OK, I understand now. I still don't think that you're entitled to what you seek. Were I the GM, I'd admit the error and take full responsibility. But I would not review with you the internal management process which resulted in the error. I just don't think that you're entitled to that.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:33 am

Arrived at this property Dec 26th for a 6 night stay. On check-in, was advised of an available Platinum upgrade to a non-smoking suite the next day if I didn't mind moving rooms. Expressed both my appreciation and no objections to moving.

Was contacted the next day and advised the initially offered non-smoking suite, had a guest in it, who'd extended his stay. Told that if I was OK with delaying my move-out till 5 pm that afternoon, another non-smoking suite, which was more of a premium suite, would be made available. Responded that this would fine.

By 6 pm I'd not received any word from the front desk despite being advised I would. Contacted the butler and advised she'd look into it. Heard nothing further. Went to the front desk and was assured matters would be addressed asap. Was advised of the suite's availability about 15 minutes later.

Upon entering the suite (Room 713), it smelled of smoke and appeared to be on a smoking floor. Asked both the porter and butler about this, and was assured by both that this was indeed a non-smoking suite notwithstanding it's location and the smell. They offered to refresh" the room. I asked if that meant that chemicals would be applied (I have a lung sensitivity that does not react well to these chemicals). They were both unsure. I asked them to get back to me, indicating that I was not interested in a refresh if it meant the application of chemicals, rather than an ionizer or other process. Both agreed to, but no one did. While unpacking I noticed an ashtray in the suite. Called the butler and asked why if it was indeed non-smoking. No meaningful response was provided. Just another offer to refresh the room. Eventually, after unsuccessfully waiting for someone to address my question on the nature of the proposed suite refresh, I went to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. Was given the assistant manager on duty. I explained the problem. She said she would see to it that the room was refreshed immediately (again advised her about the chemical issue). Was asked to leave the room, which I did. Came back to a strong smell of chemicals. The assistant manager called me to enquire how I liked the room. At this point I was coughing uncontrollably. She admited that a little chemical was used and which given the reaction I was having meant I would need to be moved out of the suite. I asked to be moved back to my previous room. She told me that the room had not been cleaned after my departure. I told her I did not care. She agreed to a move back to the uncleaned room I had before.

As a result of the attempted upgrade, my lungs were left seriously compromised with significant symptoms extending to at least January 3rd. These symptoms included coughing, with mucus, and fatigue (because, my doctor has told me, of not being able to get enough oxygen).

One night during my stay I became trapped in the pedway to the hotel after attempting to return via the BTS Station because the BTS doors were in after-hours-automatic-lock mode, the card reader on the hotel doors was inoperative and there was no intercom or other back-up system in place to get the St Regis doors open. Fortunately I had a cellphone with me and was able to use it to contact the hotel to open the locked hotel doors.

After this stay, Starwood Corporate became involved on my behalf. The same assistant manager responsible for the suite refresh debacle, responded by offering a complimentary upgrade to a Carolyn Astor suite on my next visit. My repeated requests for an explanation of what had actually occured at the operational level were ignored by her. I advised her that I'd lost confidence in the St Regis, did not intend to return (I had at that point already cancelled a followup 5 day stay, a week later), and would not as a result be accepting their offer, as sufficient recompense. Was told by the assistant manager that no other offer would be made. Starwood Corporate advised that because the property was located overseas, it could not enforce a resolution but would request the matter be escalated to another level within the hotel. After almost 2 weeks and numerous emails, I was provided with 10,000 Starwood points and an admission that the suite was indeed a smoking suite despite the numerous and repeated contrary representations. Still haven't received any other explanation for why a chemical was used in the refresh, or why the misrepresentations ever occured. Have been a Lifetime Platinum since the inception of the LP program and currently have just under 700 recorded stays with Starwood.
What you really need to ask Starwood Corporate is why they continue to operate an illegal hotel (St Regis Bangkok) in full knowledge of the facts. Bruce Duncan (Chairman of the Board/Directors) has been regularly informed of this and he refuses to even acknowledge correspondence. The facts will soon be in the public domain
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethicsman
... an illegal hotel (St Regis Bangkok) ...
Huh?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Huh?
Exactly as I said. Hotel illegal. Starwood Corp knows. Refuses to acknowledge. Evidence abounds. Probe on the way.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would you elaborate, please? In what way is it illegal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.