Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Aloft has their problems, specifically musty/stinky rooms. I also don't think the breakfast quality is good at all. Flip side is being upgraded to a north facing (urban) room more often than not. Second flip is occasionally being moved back to condo/south facing (chic) room when that first room is uninhabitable.

However it can be an inexpensive hotel and they will send a tuk tuk to pick you up at T21 (except 2-4pm weekdays) and to Nana BTS. This has saved me on a few rainy days.

As for Soi 11 in total, I'm not a fan of it nor the restaurants nor the taxi mafia nor the hookers. Thankfully the hookers leave me be and the taxi mafia I ignore.
I dont mind the breakfast and it is not dissimilar to 4P breakfast so not really a factor in a comparison. Then again 1 omelette and one of their sugary muffins is sufficient for me.

I have never had a musty room at the Aloft though I have read a few complaints about it on trip advisor.

The noise factor has significantly dropped my last few visits. I think a couple of the clubs have closed but i still always ask for a high floor.

There are a lot of restaurant and bar options along the street. If as I do and stay only for 1 or 2 nights it is convenient to be able to just hang out on Soi 11 and not have to wander far. Staying over an extended period I would find the distance to the BTS an annoyance.

I dont know anywhere in BKK where taxi touts aren't an annoyance except a couple where you can directly access the BTS and totally avoid them.

From my perspective I get a better vibe when staying at the Aloft compared to 4P. 4P is adequate accommodation and the price point is usually 10-15% higher than Aloft however to me I just feel more relaxed at Aloft.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by geminidreams

I dont know anywhere in BKK where taxi touts aren't an annoyance except a couple where you can directly access the BTS and totally avoid them.
These louts aren't present in most of Bangkok, they only prowl in heavy tourist areas where there are suckers and money.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
These louts aren't present in most of Bangkok, they only prowl in heavy tourist areas where there are suckers and money.
Guess its a given then that Im a tourist. I was thinking of my experience around the SPG hotels I frequent.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Guess its a given then that Im a tourist. I was thinking of my experience around the SPG hotels I frequent.
They tend to be in ultra-touristy areas.

Aloft, Westin, FP and SGS is a case in point. W and LM too.

Cross over the Asok junction and, aside from Soi Cowboy area where I can assume it's the same, most other areas don't have organization that Soi 11, for instance, has.

Sois 31 and 18 are a breeze to hail a cab with little pushback.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jpdx
I struggle with whether to walk away from the Four Points rate in favor of a better hotel. What would you do?
for that rate i would stay at the four points....
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I am still in Bangkok and had just check out on both the aloft and 4P. I think the aloft was starting to show it ages compared to when I stayed 2 years ago, nothing much to complain at that price point though. However the 4P has better hardware and a free drink voucher for platinum member, I prefer its location as well. So for a similar price point between the 2, I will pick the 4P.

Currently I am at the marriott marquis. Platinum get upgraded to M suite. These suite are definitely nicer than the Westin and perhaps better or on par with the Le Méridien depending on personal taste. Lounge offering is quite nice, even came with decent cocktail offering. However its capacity is quite small and it get packed quickly. Consider I managed to get Lnf at quite similar rate as 4P and Aloft, I thought it was a steal at the price.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by shevboyz
I am still in Bangkok and had just check out on both the aloft and 4P. I think the aloft was starting to show it ages compared to when I stayed 2 years ago, nothing much to complain at that price point though. However the 4P has better hardware and a free drink voucher for platinum member, I prefer its location as well. So for a similar price point between the 2, I will pick the 4P.

Currently I am at the marriott marquis. Platinum get upgraded to M suite. These suite are definitely nicer than the Westin and perhaps better or on par with the Le Méridien depending on personal taste. Lounge offering is quite nice, even came with decent cocktail offering. However its capacity is quite small and it get packed quickly. Consider I managed to get Lnf at quite similar rate as 4P and Aloft, I thought it was a steal at the price.
Thanks for reviewing that Marriott... am considering it. How is the gym?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
The gym is very nice, but the pool is not.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:49 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Full review is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...resent-40.html

Located on the 9th floor (the pool floor), the gym is well stocked with modern machines and so vast that it has its own racquet ball court!

More photos can be found here:
/
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Located on the 9th floor (the pool floor), the gym is well stocked with modern machines and so vast that it has its own racquet ball court!
Thanks for posting great pictures! Much appreciated...

Just an FYI- that's a squash court!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Plumber
Thanks for posting great pictures! Much appreciated...

Just an FYI- that's a squash court!
That goes to show you what kind of jock I am ... thanks for the correction!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Full review is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...resent-40.html

More photos can be found here: Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park Bangkok
Doesn't look like they have many machines.

Also - I hear the breakfast is lounge only. Do they have an omelet station or just the annoying apac runny scrambles?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:02 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I was in Bangkok SPG hotels almost every weekend through most of last year. However, I only stayed at 4 of them. Here's my update on the 4.

Aloft. I was here for about a week last month, and many times last year. The rooms are no longer musty smelling. The drawback is that the air conditioner controls are no longer adjustable. I think this is a fair trade off.
They have a new GM. A kettle and Nescafe replace the Bon Cafe pods. The restaurant now closes after lunch each day. And, a LOT of new staff.

I've never had a problem being accosted by prostitutes on Soi 11. I can only guess that those that do are either too young and handsome (hahaha) or not as bold about people in their personal space like I am. But, over time I have had problems with the "Disco Crowd" which I would describe as young partiers, coming and going in the lobby, elevators, and such. But, once in my room, it's silent as can be.

The best attribute of this hotel, other than the price, is the front desk staff.

Four Points, For usually a fraction more than the Aloft, the four points is a better hotel. I think the location is great, at the foot of Soi 15, close to the MRT & the BTS, and Terminal 21.
The rooms are much better, with nicer bed and linens (not 5 star), and great bathroom fixtures. Even the carpets are better. They have all the AV hookups, but, the tv is a 32 (vs 42 in Aloft).

They have a nicer breakfast and pool area than the Aloft, too. At 35 bucks, it's a no-brainer.

Westin I love this hotel. Staff are great. But, the rates this year are higher than last year's deals. I got some great rates with breakfast included. The breakfast is fantastic.

I agree, it's under appreciated on this board. It's got a a great location, good lounge, nice pool. But, I don't need aroma therapy lemongrass scent in the lobby, soap shaped like a leaf, or apples by the elevator. Great hotel. A little lots in the Westin branding...

Royal Orchid Sheraton I stayed here a LOT last year. It's as good as ever.... BUT ONLY FOR PLATINUMs. They are right on the river and have 2 swimming pools. Tops has opened up in River City for those that shop for food and need more than 7-11.

Great Lounge, Awesome views. The breakfast downstairs, has gone to crap... but Plats are still currently restricted from having breakfast in the restaurant anyway (a legacy of the previous GM).

I could easily stay a few months here. But, one must be strategic on how to get around town at certain times. If you must spend every night in Sukhumvit, then it's a little out of the way and the MRT is mandatory (800m away).
Still a big problem is the Taxi Mafia, that now currently cross the road onto the hotel property and approach and bother people coming and going. The minute you walk out of the door, they harass you.

Probably the best upgrade chance in the city. ROS is a winner, even after all these years.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:55 am

Doesn't look like they have many machines.

Also - I hear the breakfast is lounge only. Do they have an omelet station or just the annoying apac runny scrambles?
Multiple rooms at the gym and plenty of machines:

As a Platinum, had comped breakfast at Goji Kitchen & Bar every morning!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by 2lovelife

Royal Orchid Sheraton I stayed here a LOT last year. It's as good as ever.... BUT ONLY FOR PLATINUMs. They are right on the river and have 2 swimming pools. Tops has opened up in River City for those that shop for food and need more than 7-11.

Great Lounge, Awesome views. The breakfast downstairs, has gone to crap... but Plats are still currently restricted from having breakfast in the restaurant anyway (a legacy of the previous GM).

I could easily stay a few months here. But, one must be strategic on how to get around town at certain times. If you must spend every night in Sukhumvit, then it's a little out of the way and the MRT is mandatory (800m away).
Still a big problem is the Taxi Mafia, that now currently cross the road onto the hotel property and approach and bother people coming and going. The minute you walk out of the door, they harass you.

Probably the best upgrade chance in the city. ROS is a winner, even after all these years.
Currently offering $87++ per night for certain dates: http://www.spghotescapes.com/en/search/thailand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.