Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
To me, lounge offering at PA is better than the westin. Breakfast in the restaurant at PA is also superior.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by escape4
1. Royal Orchid Sheraton. The location is very good for first-time tourists, and the hotel is generous with suite upgrades. However I read on FT that recently the food quality has gone down and no more breakfast in the restaurant.
Evening food at the ROS has not gone down hill. It's clearly better than the Westin, in my opinion, even though I do like the soup at the Westin.

Afternoon food is better at the Westin, esp. since it's offered soon after breakfast is taken away.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Ah, I see now. But it seems to me that a hotel lounge is your worst choice. Lounges typically serve standard lounge food, whatever it happens to be at that hotel. For example, you mentioned the "spread" in the lounge at the Westin. That's just it, -- the spread is what it is. I would guess it highly unlikely that you'll be able to get a lounge to cook specially to meet your mom's requirements; where a restaurant is much more likely to be set up to do that.
I have not travelled with her many times, but the few times I did, various lounges have prepared a separate plate just for her, gluten-free. They also changed day to day what they offered her. Of course she did not choose what to eat, but when it's free and when you get this kind of excellent personal service, there are no complaints!

So I found lounges to be able to meet requirements. You simply do not get to choose what you want to eat like you could in a restaurant. But for someone who is not too picky, that can be acceptable.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:09 am
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
I will travel with my parents to BKK in December and because it will be their first trip to Asia I want to bring them to a nice hotel. I have been to only three SPG properties in BKK so far.

1. Royal Orchid Sheraton. The location is very good for first-time tourists, and the hotel is generous with suite upgrades. However I read on FT that recently the food quality has gone down and no more breakfast in the restaurant.

2. Westin Sukhumvit. Suite upgrades are not frequent but the food quality is better to ROS and I think food might be more important than a suite for this trip.

3. Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. Great hotel and great food, but no lounge. This is an issue because my mom is highly allergic to gluten so ideally I do not want to rely on various restaurants in the city, and I would be more comfortable if I advise our hotel in advance and get food from there. They will be very careful and I would trust them more. In SGS we would have to eat in the hotel restaurant every day, which I see as a minus relative to a lounge.

Which other properties should I consider? Aloft and 4P are out because I am looking for higher scalel. St.Regis does not seem worth the money based on comments on FT.

LM does not have a lounge so same issue as SGS? W no lounge as well.

What about PA? I read there is a nice lounge but food is subpar? And not generous for suite upgrades, similar to Westin.

At the moment I am thinking if I decide for a no-lounge option despite the drawbacks, the best is SGS. If I book somewhere with a lounge, with all considered it's Westin. But those are two properties that I know... Any other opinions?
Dear escape4,

Warm greetings from Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel Bangkok!

Thank you for considering Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit as one of your stay option in Bangkok with your mom.

Despite the fact that there is no lounge at the hotel, should you choose Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, please kindly rest assured that your mom will be well taken of during her stay with us.

May I take this opportunity to inform you that a gluten free menu is made available at Rossini’s, our Italian restaurant. Or should you wish to dine at Orchid Café, basil, The Living Room or The Sala, our Chefs would be more than happy to provide your mom with gluten free options.

Also, to help us to be better prepared for breakfast with gluten free options, please kindly state your requirement for gluten free.

Lastly, if you do wish to explore the various restaurants in Bangkok that offers gluten free options our Chief Concierge, Veera would be delighted to recommend you a few restaurants in which due to our prime location and direct access to both the Skytrain and subway, transportation would be very accessible.

I very much look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you to Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit with warm and gracious Thai hospitality.

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:55 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Thanks Richard, I am confident that my mom will be taken care well during our stay in Bangkok. Other folks on FT are clearly supporting this opinion too.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA- exp 8.2MM, SQ, DL, spg plat
Thanks Richard, I am confident that my mom will be taken care well during our stay in Bangkok. Other folks on FT are clearly supporting this opinion too.
after 90+ stays, i have no problem saying that the SGS Bangkok may be one of the best managed hotels in the world- the lack of the lounge is easily made up with the other options available and the staff will do their absolute best to handle any special requirement

go there and enjoy!!!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Could anyone provide insight / recommendations for the following:

Will be traveling with friends to BKK for 4 nights in September. I've been there plenty of times, but the friends will be first timers, hence we will be hitting up tourist sites / food stalls / hawker markets(?) / sightseeing a lot.

There will be 3 of us. Will we get charged a 3rd person 'surcharge' for all hotels?

Which SPG hotel has the best location for the following? I'm a platinum so a lounge would be a +. It would be nice to surprise them with a very nice property. Probably utilizing Uber and the trains (depending on weather/destination). I've always stayed in the Renaissance Marriott (and think it's an amazing property) but figured I could try something new this time
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Could anyone provide insight / recommendations for the following:

Will be traveling with friends to BKK for 4 nights in September. I've been there plenty of times, but the friends will be first timers, hence we will be hitting up tourist sites / food stalls / hawker markets(?) / sightseeing a lot.

There will be 3 of us. Will we get charged a 3rd person 'surcharge' for all hotels?

Which SPG hotel has the best location for the following? I'm a platinum so a lounge would be a +. It would be nice to surprise them with a very nice property. Probably utilizing Uber and the trains (depending on weather/destination). I've always stayed in the Renaissance Marriott (and think it's an amazing property) but figured I could try something new this time

Whilst a lounge maybe a positive, this is Bangkok you are talking about! I don't know what age bracket you fall into but for me, getting out of the hotel is the best bet as there are many places to eat, drink, sight see, and have fun at all times of the day. Sure it will cost a bit more money as you can't pre-load on free lounge alcohol but the more cocktail bars, wine bars, bars in markets, rooftop bars you hit up, it means you are visiting more parts of Bangkok and hence seeing more at the same time You can spend 4 evenings in a lounge x 2 hours per day, and that's a good 8 hours you and your friends miss seeing another part of Bangkok. If I want to enjoy the lounge which is almost never these days, I'd go down the road to my nearest Sheraton and save flying to BKK for that
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Whilst a lounge maybe a positive, this is Bangkok you are talking about! I don't know what age bracket you fall into but for me, getting out of the hotel is the best bet as there are many places to eat, drink, sight see, and have fun at all times of the day. Sure it will cost a bit more money as you can't pre-load on free lounge alcohol but the more cocktail bars, wine bars, bars in markets, rooftop bars you hit up, it means you are visiting more parts of Bangkok and hence seeing more at the same time You can spend 4 evenings in a lounge x 2 hours per day, and that's a good 8 hours you and your friends miss seeing another part of Bangkok. If I want to enjoy the lounge which is almost never these days, I'd go down the road to my nearest Sheraton and save flying to BKK for that
Agreed. That's why I said it would be a + but I'm more looking for recommendations that would have a better central location.
I'm in my 20s
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:01 pm

Agreed. That's why I said it would be a + but I'm more looking for recommendations that would have a better central location.
I'm in my 20s
Most of the Starwood properties are near the BTS/MRT, with the exception of the RO and the Le Meridien near that golf course. aLoft is a bit of a walk to get to the BTS. I think the SGS will probably be the most recommended here. My personal favorite hotel in the W Bangkok, but I'm definitely in the minority there. It's not as central as the other locations along Sukhumvit and has no lounge, so I don't know if I would recommend it in your situation.

If you are in your 20's and looking for a nice place to party, even if you aren't staying there, the club at aLoft (Levels) was packed when I went and I had a good time there. The bar at the W is also busy some nights.

Uber and Grab Taxi both work well in Bangkok, but traffic is often so heavy that taking the BTS is a lot quicker sometimes if your destination is along the BTS or MRT lines.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
I'm in my 20s
Simply no better hotel on BKK than SGS, dont care how old or young, great position, easy transpotation, shopping, restaurants, bars, clubs etc etc and the best management, anywhere, as my wife mentioned the other day, its not so much that things can go wrong, its the recovery that counts. I have had minor issues at SGS, ( hey its Thailand) but the recovery keeps me coming back, next month I think the 55th time !

Last edited by BRITINJAPAN3; Jul 26, 2017 at 11:12 pm
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:54 pm

I am planning a trip to BKK next month. There is a strong preference for SGS...and the reviews I read say it is is "best BKK hotel for its class." I also noticed there is a lot discussion about W, Westin, etc,...but not so much about the St. Regis.

If price is NOT an issue, which hotel is better? The St. Regis or the SGS? Any feedback from people that have stayed at both hotels would be appreciated

Last edited by myko85; Jul 27, 2017 at 12:03 am
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by myko85
I am planning a trip to BKK next month. There is a strong preference for SGS...and the reviews I read say it is is "best BKK hotel for its class." I also noticed there is a lot discussion about W, Westin, etc,...but not so much about the St. Regis.

If price is NOT an issue, which hotel is better? The St. Regis or the SGS? Any feedback from people that have stayed at both hotels would be appreciated
Are you a Plat? The StR has nicer hardware. Personally I dont care about the software as i pretty much do my own thing in BKK. The SGS breakfast is better but I prefer both the PA and W against either. Usually I can find a PA rate somewhat better that either SGS or StR and would stay there.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by geminidreams
Are you a Plat? The StR has nicer hardware. Personally I dont care about the software as i pretty much do my own thing in BKK. The SGS breakfast is better but I prefer both the PA and W against either. Usually I can find a PA rate somewhat better that either SGS or StR and would stay there.
Yes I am a plat. So is it safe to say that breakfast is better at SGS and hardware is better at StR?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by myko85
Yes I am a plat. So is it safe to say that breakfast is better at SGS and hardware is better at StR?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.