Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:11 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Management shuffle?

Word is that a new GM at the Aloft is imminent. Not sure where Mr. Gooch will go, or who's replacing him.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I like to stay on Sukhumvit actually as the BTS is so convenient from just about all properties. I really like the LM, however only downside IMO is the location isn't accessible easily to BTS and thus takes some time to get to. The W has a nice hard product, but given it's location and price premium usually I would stay the the LM if I wasn't going to be on Sukh.

The St. Regis definitely has the best hard product of the bunch, but you are paying at least 50% -100% more for probably only a relatively small - medium sized incremental improvement in the overall experience. BKK has so many great properties, I have checked out the JW Marriott and the new Mariott Marquis which will be nice options for some especially after the merge. JW alittle tired, but nice and location better than the Marquis which has a great hard product, but location not ideal with a long walk to Sukh.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:21 am

The Sukhothai Bangkok is now part of Design Hotels.
If only we get to book it on SPG soon

Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Westin Bangkok isn't great one, right? I see incredibly low rates for it for summer 2018 (well, compared to typical SPG rates in Bangkok; in my view they are extremely high compared both to SPG elsewhere in SEA capitals and to IHG or Accor in Bangkok). Most probably I will be Platinum next year, so will have upgrade and lounge access. Thought to try Plaza Athenee then, but since their rebranding trick they inflated their prices ridiculously. So, better avoid Westin (I can still book CP for the same amount or probably Marriott Marquis for a bit more) or still consider it?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:36 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Westin Bangkok isn't great one, right? I see incredibly low rates for it for summer 2018 (well, compared to typical SPG rates in Bangkok; in my view they are extremely high compared both to SPG elsewhere in SEA capitals and to IHG or Accor in Bangkok). Most probably I will be Platinum next year, so will have upgrade and lounge access. Thought to try Plaza Athenee then, but since their rebranding trick they inflated their prices ridiculously. So, better avoid Westin (I can still book CP for the same amount or probably Marriott Marquis for a bit more) or still consider it?
Currently at the Westin. This is my 222nd stay. Why would you avoid it? It is a great property.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Currently at the Westin. This is my 222nd stay. Why would you avoid it? It is a great property.
Wow!

How does it compare to LM or, say, Renaissance? What about views from the window, any good? How is the club lounge compared to other options of similar price range?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Westin's a great hotel - would definitely recommend. I've never seen any views around Sukhumvit. Not above street level anyways!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
The westin is solid and the lounge is pretty good. Small, but usually never busting with people and ample seating along with very friendly staff. Great location and access to the BTS although I'd love for them to actually have a skybridge like the SGS!

Rooms are spacious and I used to get upgrades everytime although my last three stays I haven't???? Oh well nice property.

Having said this BKK is filled with great options and should be explored.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I am a big breakfast person and the Westin's is just adequate compared to LM, SGS, PA though better than ROS. They also don't give fresh squeezed juice for plats in the lounge area which SGS does in library and PA has in lounge. The service is ok but nothing spectacular. I have stayed here 4-5 times and do not have a bad thing to say, but I can't remember anything special about it. I also get annoyed at having to change elevators to go up, esp for such a short hotel.

I would take SGS, PA over it in a second. And choose between LM and it depending on price. I actually had a 3000 Thai Baht or so rate recently at Westin and cancelled it to move to PA at 5400 for 5 nights because I find PA that much better. I would do Westin if it is cheaper and a one night stop over before going elsewhere.

I have not tried W yet (don't like Ws in general) or the STR which I would like to try sometime but not if they are so much more expesnive than other great Starwood and now Marriott properties. I can't justify it. I am looking forward to seeing the JW renovations.

But BKK is one area that Stawrood really excels. You can't go wrong in ust about any of the properties.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I have not tried W yet (don't like Ws in general) or the STR which I would like to try sometime but not if they are so much more expesnive than other great Starwood and now Marriott properties. I can't justify it. I am looking forward to seeing the JW renovations.
I have seen 4000 THB public rate for W recently. SR is very expensive indeed, though I have found a good deal once with BRG, but my claim had been turned down due to some weird reason that had no sense.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Thought to try Plaza Athenee then, but since their rebranding trick they inflated their prices ridiculously. ?
^
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by UASPG
^
I've had recent success with BRG'ing the TA and it remains to be seen what will happen once high season is over.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:15 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I am a big breakfast person and the Westin's is just adequate compared to LM, SGS, PA though better than ROS.
Lounge or Zest?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Overall I'll pick SGS over any other SPG property in BKK and probably over any other major chain hotel there.
It's actually very surprising to hear people prefer a Sheraton over SR/LM/W/Westin.
But haven't stayed there myself, so can't comment.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
It's actually very surprising to hear people prefer a Sheraton over SR/LM/W/Westin.
SGS is in the Luxury Collection. It's not really in the Sheraton brand, it keeps that name really for historical reasons, but it's always been in the top tier. So don't compare it to Sheraton brand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.