Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wcj1
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for San Francisco. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
St Regis San Francisco
Ritz Carlton San Francisco

Full Service:
W Hotel San Francisco
JW Marriott Union Square San Francisco
San Francisco Marriott Union Square
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
Marriott SoMA Mission Bay [San Francisco]
[GONE] Park Central (was Westin Market Street) San Francisco (rebranded as Hyatt)
Westin St. Francis, San Francisco
Westin SFO San Francisco Airport
Palace Hotel, San Francisco
Le Meridien Hotel San Francisco
San Francisco Proper, Design Hotel
Adagio Hotel, Autograph Collection (San Francisco, CA)
[GONE] Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco (re-branded as Riu Plaza San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf as of 12NOV19 - see post 134 in thread)
AC Hotel San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Limited Service:
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave
Courtyard San Francisco Union Square
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Four Points by Sheraton SFO San Francisco Airport
aloft San Francisco Airport (Millbrae) SFO

Extended Stay:
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Timeshare:
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Francisco

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
If average hotel prices over the five days were $750, it might make sense to use points.
"Might" make sense? A redemption value over 2 cpp "might" make sense? Sorry, what are you smoking?
Honestly, I think Hyatt offers better value in SF. I’d rather spend 20000 Hyatt points on the regency than 50000 points on the Palace.
I dislike both Hyatts intensely. Management at both properties deliberately skirts program rules and does not treat elites well at all. SPG options are light years better, IMO. I am 100% on suite upgrades at LM in particular. Palace would be at bottom of my list anyway.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kkl
Please recommend a property for first time visitor to SF as a platinum. Location and breakfast be important
Location-wise, you can't beat the Palace, though if you prefer glass-and-steel to classic architecture, it might not be your style. The Westin and Marriott are in a decent location for tourists, but neither one is a particularly memorable stay. I would definitely avoid the Proper and Sheraton, as they are both in terrible locations.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Kacee
"Might" make sense? A redemption value over 2 cpp "might" make sense? Sorry, what are you smoking?

Huh? $750/50,000 = 1.5 cents per point (1.875 if you account for the fifth night free). I think a large number of the Cat 6 hotels are rarely at the $750 level—certainly not over a 5-day period. The St. Regis and the Ritz are more likely, but the redemption value would be 1.25cpp (or 1.56 cpp accounting for the fifth night).
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Location-wise, you can't beat the Palace, though if you prefer glass-and-steel to classic architecture, it might not be your style. The Westin and Marriott are in a decent location for tourists, but neither one is a particularly memorable stay. I would definitely avoid the Proper and Sheraton, as they are both in terrible locations.
I would disagree that the Proper is in a "terrible" location. Yes, that neighborhood is "transitioning," but the hotel is literally steps from the BART and closer to (in my opinion) many of the more interesting neighborhoods of San Francisco towards the west (I don't find Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf particularly interesting). I also love the Proper as a hotel itself (from the rooms to the restaurant and rooftop bar).

I may not recommend the Proper to a first-time visitor to San Francisco, but for someone who wants easier access to Hayes Valley, the Castro, the Mission, Noe Valley, etc., the Proper is the best-located Marriott-affiliated hotel.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:13 am

Is the new Courtyard (formerly the Opal) open yet?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would disagree that the Proper is in a "terrible" location. Yes, that neighborhood is "transitioning,"
Now there's a meaningless marketing term. That's like calling the city of Richmond "transitioning" - from the murder capital of California to #2 on the list. What exactly is the Tenderloin transitioning to? I used to work in SF - I avoided the Tenderloin then and I still do.

I may not recommend the Proper to a first-time visitor to San Francisco
Since the question was specifically about first-time visitors, we agree.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Now there's a meaningless marketing term. That's like calling the city of Richmond "transitioning" - from the murder capital of California to #2 on the list. What exactly is the Tenderloin transitioning to? I used to work in SF - I avoided the Tenderloin then and I still do.
Sure, the word "transitioning" is a pretty meaningless marketing term, but the area around the Proper is changing. Twitter has its HQ a couple of blocks down Market, and Uber also has a significant presence in the area (just to name a few). And of course the Proper itself is part of the change (have you seen the line for the rooftop bar in the evenings?).

Finally, the Proper is literally steps away from the BART/Muni, so it's not like a guest is generally traipsing through the Tenderloin or is easily going to wander into the worst parts of that neighborhood. Honestly, I'd probably feel less comfortable at some of the major hotels a few blocks west of Union Square than at the Proper.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:29 am

I'm staying at Park Central this week. Have not been impressed. Only one or two of the five elevators seems to be working, making it a slough to get in and out of the room. My upgraded deluxe room came with hair in the tub, a mostly empty diet Coke in the fridge, and a pronounced ledge across the back of the tub making for a very uncomfortable reclining experience. Restaurant's burger was decent, if a little under-cooked for med rare.

I'd rather stay at the Fisherman's Wharf Marriott any day.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:58 pm

Planning to use a cat 6 7-day cert for a stay in SF. This would be family vacation with two kids. I guess it's hard to stay 7 days in SF, but we got some friends to visit.

Any suggestion on which hotel to pick? I'm thinking either the W, Le Meridien, or maybe even the Westin Palo Alto. Can you share your experience? I'm plat, but don't expect an upgrade for a 7 day stay anyway.

Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edwardx
Planning to use a cat 6 7-day cert for a stay in SF. This would be family vacation with two kids. I guess it's hard to stay 7 days in SF, but we got some friends to visit.

Any suggestion on which hotel to pick? I'm thinking either the W, Le Meridien, or maybe even the Westin Palo Alto. Can you share your experience? I'm plat, but don't expect an upgrade for a 7 day stay anyway.

Thanks!
What do you want to do and where? Palo Alto is not that close to SF to consider it an even comparison. Will you have a car?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by edwardx

Thanks!
Your choice might be dictated by availability, since it sounds like you'll need a room with 2 beds. All else equal, I'd probably choose the Le Meridien over the W. I've been treated well as a Titanium at the LM and usually get upgraded to a studio suite or a 1br suite (although both only have 1 bed). I've never had a 7-night stay, however—usually 2-3 days. Breakfast is in the restaurant, and you can choose between the continental or a $16 credit (and often when I'm by myself, the servers will give me a $32 credit, although not consistently). I've never been upgraded to a suite at the W, just higher floors and occasionally a corner room. It's been a while since I've done breakfast at the W (since I will usually opt for going to The Grove, which is just up the street). If I remember correctly, it's either the continental or a ~$15 credit.

I am also a fan of the Palace and have been treated well there. I usually get upgraded to at least a grand deluxe, although the rooms facing Market Street can be noisy (I'm used to city noise, but I'm sure it bothers a lot of people). I'm a fan of the breakfast at the Palace, and I recently discovered that I can use the breakfast vouchers at either the restaurant or in-room dining.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:00 am

For a family trip with kids, I think the LM is a better property than the W. As noted, the SF LM is infamously generous with upgrades. The property is in a very quiet location (at night), and you're better positioned for most of the touristy locations in SF (closer to north beach, Alcatraz, etc). I can't comment on breakfast at either LM or W.

I'm not sure why anyone would consider the Palo Alto Westin unless they were visiting stanford, though it is close to caltrain.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I'm not sure why anyone would consider the Palo Alto Westin unless they were visiting stanford, though it is close to caltrain.
To be fair, the suites at the Westin Palo Alto are probably more suited for a family of 4 than the suites at the LM and W, as well as the Palace. And as you mentioned, it is convenient to Caltrain (and Palo Alto station has frequent service to SF, both local and baby bullet). That said, not sure the possibility of getting a better suite upgrade is reason enough to choose the Westin Palo Alto, unless OP had plans south of the city.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:35 pm

Thanks a lot for all your input! I guess I'll choose between the LM and Westin PA. I've stayed at the Westin PA before and had good experience. Will have to do some planning to see whether the PA location would be too much trouble! We do have many friends to visit in that area.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I can't comment on breakfast at either LM or W.
Breakfast is, IMO, the only edge W has over LM, but not a reason to pick W over LM. I agree with other posters; W is not good for a family stay (and I’ve been there, done that).

Some of the suites at LM are quite large. LM would be my clear choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.