Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Union Square San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Noticed this on the property's website:

Registration desk is located on the third floor. This hotel does not accept third party credit card authorization forms.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - GOLD, Marriott - PLAT

Staying there during the week of the July 23rd. Anyone stayed there? Any advice/tips on room #'s that are good?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Good property.

No specific room number to suggest but they are all good size for downtown SF and the bathrooms are roomy with separate tub and shower.

All can get a bit noisy with the busy streets below so the higher the better.

Last edited by apodo77; Jan 19, 2013 at 3:04 am
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Would you recommend the JW Marriott over the Marriott Marquis?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We stayed at the JW in Feb. I really enjoyed the property. Nice lounge and rooms.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier, SPG Plat, Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
I stayed here in April and got upgraded to a corner room. I saw some of the "regular rooms" when housekeeping was cleaning and it looked like the difference is that the corner rooms have a sofa with pull-out bed and a little extra room to walk around. The corner room also had floor-to-ceiling windows on one side and the regular room just had a crescent shaped window (you will see what I am talking about when you see the outside of the hotel). The bathroom was very large too with a separate stand-up shower and soaking tub but I didn't see bathrooms in the other rooms so I can't compare those.

Overall it was a great hotel - especially since the concierge lounge was open for breakfast on weekends until 11 (it was on a temporary basis - not sure if this is still the case).
Old Jun 23, 2012, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by kbh1234
I stayed here in April and got upgraded to a corner room. I saw some of the "regular rooms" when housekeeping was cleaning and it looked like the difference is that the corner rooms have a sofa with pull-out bed and a little extra room to walk around. The corner room also had floor-to-ceiling windows on one side and the regular room just had a crescent shaped window (you will see what I am talking about when you see the outside of the hotel). The bathroom was very large too with a separate stand-up shower and soaking tub but I didn't see bathrooms in the other rooms so I can't compare those.

Overall it was a great hotel - especially since the concierge lounge was open for breakfast on weekends until 11 (it was on a temporary basis - not sure if this is still the case).
How is access to public transit in that area? I know the Marquis has the Powell Street stop for MUNI and BART one block away and open lounge on weekends which made me decide to stay there but after reading some posts here I'm considering maybe switching to the JW. Rate difference for my stay is only like $20.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier, SPG Plat, Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by sammyindc
How is access to public transit in that area? I know the Marquis has the Powell Street stop for MUNI and BART one block away and open lounge on weekends which made me decide to stay there but after reading some posts here I'm considering maybe switching to the JW. Rate difference for my stay is only like $20.
Can't comment on public transportation - the weather was great when I was there so I walked everywhere. I think the hotel also had a car that would take guests places, but I never utilized this option.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
MUNI & BART are easily accessible and will take you to, or close, to the majority of places you might want to visit (except to the Palace of Fine Arts; Coit Tower reachable by bus) with several ferries linking The City with Marin County (Saucilito, Tiburon, Larkspur)

How is access to public transit in that area? I know the Marquis has the Powell Street stop for MUNI and BART one block away .......................
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
MUNI & BART are easily accessible and will take you to, or close, to the majority of places you might want to visit (except to the Palace of Fine Arts; Coit Tower reachable by bus) with several ferries linking The City with Marin County (Saucilito, Tiburon, Larkspur)
Thanks. Looks like I should switch to the JW.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:40 am
Suspended

Union Square is great location for shopping and good eating too, but if you don't mind going into a "rough area" try Original Joes over in the "tenderloin" by the Hilton........... great Italian food with the chefs putting on quite a show too.......

Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Union Square is great location for shopping and good eating too, but if you don't mind going into a "rough area" try Original Joes over in the "tenderloin" by the Hilton........... great Italian food with the chefs putting on quite a show too.......
Cool, I'll try that. How "rough" is that area? Should it be avoided after a certain hour?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:47 am
Suspended

http://www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/sf/tenderloin/

Cool, I'll try that. How "rough" is that area? Should it be avoided after a certain hour?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Public transport is at the bottom of the hill. Just walk down Powell and next to the cable car turnaround are the BART/MUNI stations (or is the since it is all in one). This is the small hill of Nob Hill. I was just there recently. Not a bad walk up. The hill in the other direct is the killer part of Nob Hill. Also, the corner of Sutter and Powell is a cable car stop, but it just filled up at the bottom.

Rooms were decent. I had a high floor in the middle of the floor. Great view to the north. I am platinum. I dont think it was an upgrade at all. Room had ample space. Bathroom was a little tight, like most intercity bathrooms

Staff was attentive, but not friendly. But I dont need them to be my best friends. I was there End of May 2012, the weekend of the 75th Anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge. There is a Starbucks right across the street too.

Being on Sutter, walk east some and you get to Chinatown. Easy cut through to North Beach (Italian area)

Last edited by FLgrr; Jun 24, 2012 at 7:44 am
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by SNAvWORLD
Staying there during the week of the July 23rd. Anyone stayed there? Any advice/tips on room #'s that are good?
I'm looking to be in SF that week, looks like I may have to do one of the Intercontinental's as they are less than half the price of any of my favorite Marriott properties...
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
If room furnishings are more important to you, choose the JW.

If location, and access to area public transportation in particular, is more important, I would choose the Marquis. The Marquis is a high-rise hotel with many of the upper floor rooms boasting jaw-dropping views. It is also a few more blocks removed from the Tenderloin, which the JW abuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.