Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott SoMA Mission Bay, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Groundbreaking has just begun on a new Marriott in San Francisco's Mission Bay. First new full service hotel build in SF in a decade. Scheduled for a 2020 opening. Will be within walking distance of AT&T Park and the Warriors' new arena.

Marriott SoMA Mission Bay
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:33 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Nice, my office is just a couple of blocks from there.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:37 pm

Great news, although the name should be changed to something that does not conflict with the existing Marriott Marquis that is both in SOMA and on Mission Street.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Glad to see this Marriott being built. The area has rapidly become a hotbed of tech companies and is under-served by hotels.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by davie355
Great news, although the name should be changed to something that does not conflict with the existing Marriott Marquis that is both in SOMA and on Mission Street.
lol it will result in confusion for sure. Not sure why they didn't just name it "Marriott Mission Bay."
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this is like naming East Bay hotels San Francisco. SOMA sounds a lot closer than Mission Bay.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
lol it will result in confusion for sure. Not sure why they didn't just name it "Marriott Mission Bay."
"Marriott Mission Bay" makes it sound as if it's in San Diego. Mission Bay is home to SeaWorld San Diego, resort hotels, parks, beaches, and all sorts of recreational activities.

Until I saw this thread, I did not realize that San Francisco also has an area called Mission Bay.

I have a different problem with the name Marriott SoMA Mission Bay. Although usually written as SoMa (South of Market), the area is sometimes written as SOMA. Does the hotel really plan to write it as SoMA?

The San Francisco Marriott Marquis does not have SoMa as part of its name, so I don't see that as a problem.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Horace
The San Francisco Marriott Marquis does not have SoMa as part of its name, so I don't see that as a problem.
"I'm staying at the Marriott in SOMA" would become ambiguous.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Marriott SOMAMIBA?

MARSOMAMIBA?

MISOMAMIBA?

David
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:36 am
pvn
Suspended

well there are at least four properties near union square and people figure it out
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:38 am
pvn
Suspended

FWIW, I don't really consider anything south of mission bay to be SoMa anyway (really that side of I-80 isn't very soma-ish if you ask me), and I wouldn't describe the Marquis, which is on market street, as being "in soma" either.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

And then referring to "mission" would just make it worse

Originally Posted by pvn
I wouldn't describe the Marquis, which is on market street, as being "in soma" either.
I wouldn't either (even though its address is technically Mission Street), but the real estate folks have expanded the definition of SoMa to include virtually anything below market street.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
As 2021 continues the hotel looks like it should open sometime soon. I bike past it every day on my way to work, and think it will be a great asset to the neighborhood.

I'm a native San Franciscan, so I feel like my cultural awareness might help with the naming upthread. Historically there was a big caste difference between people who lived north or south of "the slot", aka Market Street. Living south was considered very déclassé, except for a brief period of time before the 1906 earthquake near South Park. Mission Bay was the former Southern Pacific rail yards from back before container shipping when the biggest port of the West Coast was in our precious 7x7. Of course now Long Beach and Oakland are much bigger ports. All of this changed way before most of us, yours truly included, were born.

During the 1990s SoMA was the hot area for the tech industry and extended to Mission Creek and Barry Street. The Central Soma neighborhood around the "sometime will open" Central Subway has emerged as a microneighborhood, and Mission Bay is directly south featuring UCSF, numerous biotech companies, a couple tech companies like Dropbox + Uber and, of course, Chase Stadium.

Given all this, I'd say that SOMA describes the entire big area from Market Street to Van Ness to Mariposa Street and the start of Potrero Hill. With this definition, the Marriott SoMA Mission Bay is an appropriate name. This said I think that if it were my choice I'd call it the Marriott Mission Bay San Francisco. Think that is better SEO for what it is worth--even though as others comment the entire SoMA area is underserved by hotels.

Also of note most of the condo buildings in this part of town do not allow AirBNBs, unlike the smaller projects elsewhere in the City, so the demand for hotel rooms should be quite high.

Not to make this too off tangent, but there is a rumor that a full service hotel will open in the Dogpatch at the end of 22nd St if/when the Power Station development completes.
ryw likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 6:34 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
As 2021 continues the hotel looks like it should open sometime soon. I bike past it every day on my way to work, and think it will be a great asset to the neighborhood.

I'm a native San Franciscan, so I feel like my cultural awareness might help with the naming upthread. Historically there was a big caste difference between people who lived north or south of "the slot", aka Market Street. Living south was considered very déclassé, except for a brief period of time before the 1906 earthquake near South Park. Mission Bay was the former Southern Pacific rail yards from back before container shipping when the biggest port of the West Coast was in our precious 7x7. Of course now Long Beach and Oakland are much bigger ports. All of this changed way before most of us, yours truly included, were born.

During the 1990s SoMA was the hot area for the tech industry and extended to Mission Creek and Barry Street. The Central Soma neighborhood around the "sometime will open" Central Subway has emerged as a microneighborhood, and Mission Bay is directly south featuring UCSF, numerous biotech companies, a couple tech companies like Dropbox + Uber and, of course, Chase Stadium.

Given all this, I'd say that SOMA describes the entire big area from Market Street to Van Ness to Mariposa Street and the start of Potrero Hill. With this definition, the Marriott SoMA Mission Bay is an appropriate name. This said I think that if it were my choice I'd call it the Marriott Mission Bay San Francisco. Think that is better SEO for what it is worth--even though as others comment the entire SoMA area is underserved by hotels.

Also of note most of the condo buildings in this part of town do not allow AirBNBs, unlike the smaller projects elsewhere in the City, so the demand for hotel rooms should be quite high.

Not to make this too off tangent, but there is a rumor that a full service hotel will open in the Dogpatch at the end of 22nd St if/when the Power Station development completes.
No longer any stigma to being SOMA. I've stayed at a few SOMA properties, including that Marriott on Mission and my favorite, the IC SF on Howard. Anytime I have to walk north to Market, I'm feeling SOMA.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I guess it's a brave new world.

David
ewoo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.