Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Jay, Autograph Collection, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Jay, Autograph Collection, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Arrow The Jay, Autograph Collection, San Francisco [Master Thread]

This was news to me this evening when I went to the Starwood site...announcing:

Le Meridien San Francisco
333 Battery Street San Francisco, California 94111 United States
Phone (415) 392-1234 Fax (415) 421-2433

Now accepting reservations for arrival on or after May 9, 2006.
Google Maps
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I believe this is currently the Park Hyatt.
Old May 3, 2006, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For whatever reason, San Francisco has been a great market for hotel sign companies as rebranding here is incredibly abundant.

The Park Hyatt was sold by Strategic Hotel Investors to HEI Hospitality of Connecticut, and the latter decided to give the management contract to Starwood who put the Meridien name on it (interesting choice).

The Argent (formerly Le Meridien, then an ANA prior to becoming the Argent) was sold to Highgate Holdings of Irving, Texas, who has also contracted to Starwood for the Westin name.

It's unclear whether the Westin St. Francis on Union Square will remain a Westin, as it too got sold, to Strategic Hotel Investors (yes, the same one who owned the Park Hyatt soon to be Le Meridien) and they may contract out to someone else.

The Palace Hotel, which had been part of Starwood's Luxury Collection, is up for sale to the highest bidder.

Confused? Well, that's not it. The Pan Pacific Hotel, was acquired by Ashford Hospitality Trust which hired Marriott International to morph it into a J.W. Marriott. The Crowne Plaza on Union Square is also looking for a new brand as part of the settlement of a dispute of owner owner FelCor Lodging Trust with present operator InterContinental Hotels. And recently, the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza in the financial district/chinatown area became a Hilton, which has retooled the hotel for business travelers.
Old May 10, 2006, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond / Delta 360 / HHonors Diamond. FORMER: AAdvantage EXP, Loews YouFirst Platinum, A+ Elite
Le Meridien Hotel San Francisco [Master Thread]

This literally changed hands from the Park Hyatt to Le Meridien overnight last night. Ironically, I'm neither a frequent guest of Starwood or Hyatts (I'm a Hilton Diamond). Thought I'd post a mini-review, though, from a non-SPG/HGP perspective.

I've stayed here before when it was a Park Hyatt and have always been impressed. The high-tier of Hyatts and Starwoods (Westins) I compare to the Hilton hotels but I think these outclass Hiltons on many levels. I assume Le Meridien is the upscale top-tier to be compared to Conrads, and it does not disappoint.

The check-in line was long as the front desk were being trained and were unfamiliar with the new system they were using. To be expected, of course. There was a gentleman walking around offering chocolates and champagne to those of us in line which I thought was a very nice touch. He was also soliciting (politely) signup for SPG. I let him know I was SPG but rarely use it and the conversation turned to my status at/loyalty to Hilton. (He also noticed my FlyerTalk luggage tags which surprised me he knew of). He offered me gold on the spot? I politely declined, letting him know I love both Hyatt and Westins but I had too much vested in Hilton. He assisted me with check-in and informed the front desk clerk to "upgrade" me. (I do not believe the hotel was fully booked).

I was given a end-of-the-hall balcony room on the 17th floor (rm 1720). Having never stayed in this type of room, and having a bad memory, I can't tell if the decor had been changed along with the rebranding, but it was very nice. Room was exceptionally clean, separate tub and glass-doored shower. Again, a nice balcony with a good view of Embarcadero, the Bay Bridge, and a partial view of the Ferry Building.

The concierge was swamped but a tremendous help, very knowledgeable and the couple before me were reserved on the spot at an exclusive restaurant. I needed something simpler, and they kindly obliged.

Bed was superb, and turndown service had already been completed (my check in time was 6pm). Nicely packaged box of chocolates on the pillow. About 30 minutes after settling in my room I get a complimentary call up to the room from the front desk just to check in on me. I asked for a wake-up, and was asked if I would like coffee in the morning. "I would," I say, and they agreed to bring up the coffee 15 minutes after wake-up. I have to say, that has never happened at any hotel I've stayed at, I was duly impressed.

They were right on time. It's the little things that really set hotels apart, that extra or above-and-beyond service, no matter how insignificant. I can't speak to status benefits, being probably the lowest tier of both SPG and HGP.

Just thought I'd share, it's a bit bumpy during the transition but they still take the time to cater to their guests. Definitely makes me want to switch loyalties
Old May 10, 2006, 11:15 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Post Press Release

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060510/20060510005198.html?.v=1

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts

San Francisco Selected for Starwood's First New Le Meridien Hotel in North America since Acquiring the Brand
Wednesday May 10, 9:00 am ET
Conversion a Key Move in Starwood's Aggressive Expansion of Le Meridien Properties in the U.S. and Worldwide

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 10, 2006--Starwood Hotels & Resorts (NYSE:HOT - News) and HEI Hospitality announced today that the Park Hyatt Hotel at 333 Battery Street in San Francisco has become a Le Meridien Hotel. According to the terms of the franchise agreement, the hotel will be managed by Merritt Hospitality, a division of hotel owner HEI Hospitality. Starwood acquired Le Meridien in November of 2005 and has announced plans for the aggressive expansion of the brand.

Synonymous worldwide with style, originality, and a passion for art, architecture, food, fashion and music and film, Le Meridien is viewed as an ideal match for San Francisco and its wealth of attractions, from world-class restaurants and museums, art galleries, music and film festivals, designer boutiques and neighborhood adventures to the coastal redwoods and Napa and Sonoma wine country.

"We are very pleased to announce San Francisco as the home of the first new Le Meridien since Starwood acquired the brand," said Eva Ziegler, senior vice president, Le Meridien Brand. "There is no more culturally rich, sophisticated or welcoming city in the U.S. than San Francisco, and the sister-city relationship between San Francisco and Paris only emphasizes the aptness of bringing this high-end European brand to one of the most European of American cities."

With 360 deluxe rooms and an ideal location at the crossroads of San Francisco's business, culture and shopping districts, the 24-story Le Meridien will add a high European service standard and a unique ambience to the city's rapidly rebounding hotel landscape. Adjacent to the Federal Reserve Building and minutes away from popular destinations such as Union Square, the Embarcadero, Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf, the hotel boasts more than 13,000 square feet of meeting space, 10 meeting rooms, and four boardrooms. It is also the home to the fine-dining Park Grill Restaurant and outdoor terrace, one of the city's renowned power breakfast and lunch destinations, as well as the elegantly appointed Bar 333.

"This is an exceptionally beautiful and well-designed property," said General Manager Sileshi Mengiste. "The first changes that patrons will notice will be a subtle shift in service, attitude and amenities that will reflect a more gracious, European approach to creating the guest experience. In time we will make subtle changes in decor, primarily in the bar and lounge areas, the restaurant, and eventually in the guest rooms." An approximately $10 million renovation of the property is expected to begin in late 2007.

The hotel also serves as a U.S. flagship for Starwood's commitment to Le Meridien brand and its distinctive heritage. Dating to its founding in Paris in 1972, Le Meridien has come to represent the "art" of hospitality throughout the world, known as much for its elegance, finesse and panache as for its superbly trained staff and commitment to providing guests with an "authentic" experience by genuinely reflecting the individuality of each of its locales.

Le Meridien has already been fully integrated into Starwood Hotels & Resorts' powerful reservations, loyalty, distribution and sales infrastructure, including the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) program, which, with the addition of Le Meridien, allows members to earn and redeem points at more than 825 hotels in 95 countries, including new destinations such as Barcelona, Budapest, Seychelles, Mauritius, Stuttgart and Monte Carlo, as well as new choices in existing destinations such as Paris, Dubai, Nice, London, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Cancun and Vienna.

Plans call for aggressive expansion of Le Meridien-branded hotels within the next five years, concentrating in the U.S., Latin America, and Asia-Pacific, including destinations such as India, Thailand and China. Le Meridien is currently represented by over 120 properties in 52 countries. Almost 70 percent of the properties are in Europe, Asia-Pacific, Africa and the Middle East, providing a strong international complement to Starwood's primarily North American holdings.

"Le Meridien is a perfect complement to the Starwood portfolio, with its international footprint and unique European guest culture," said Javier Benito, Starwood executive vice president and chief marketing officer. "Le Meridien represents a great growth opportunity alongside Starwood's W and Westin brands, extends the number of destination choices of travel to Starwood loyalists across the world, and further secures Starwood's position as one of the leading international consumer lifestyle hotel and leisure companies."

Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts
Old May 15, 2006, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Stayed at the LM SF last night.

The bad: Took a while to check-in, seemed that the staff is still learning the computer system. Had to ask for my Platinum amenity, and the agent didnt even know what a Plat amenity was. Did not receive an upgrade, but didnt ask as I wanted to see what would be offered gratis and was only going to spend 6 hours in the hotel (sleep, bfast, checkout).

The good: Eventhe regular, unupgraded room is as good as any SPG property in SF, except maybe the St. Regis. Room was huge, with an entertainment console dividing the sleeping and working area. Bathroom was newer and nicely done. Bed very comfortable, Nakamichi sound system. Far superior room to the St. Francis or Palace and I'd rank at least equal to the W.

Breakfast was divine. Although the service was slow, my smoked salmon scramble was to die for.

My rate was far lower that any of the normal rates I get with my set #, plus I found the Embarcadero location much more convenient than the SoMa area by the Palace/St Regis/W. All in all, I'd happily stay here again, especially because I presume that the employees will get up to speed with the SPG program and upgrades will be in my future.
Old May 16, 2006, 9:27 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by paullevi
The good: Eventhe regular, unupgraded room is as good as any SPG property in SF, except maybe the St. Regis. Room was huge, with an entertainment console dividing the sleeping and working area. Bathroom was newer and nicely done. Bed very comfortable, Nakamichi sound system. Far superior room to the St. Francis or Palace and I'd rank at least equal to the W.
I had been staying at this property for 17 years (including the last 4 as Hyatt Diamond). I was extremely disappointed that it was leaving the Hyatt chain but since I love this hotel - I decided to get a status match from SPG to Platinum.

As a Park Hyatt the service was amazing (better than any other hotel I've stayed at in the US including (especially) the Park Chicago. Many of the employees have been there for years - including a couple of the doormen who have been there from the start. We requested both the SF Chronicle and NY Times for Sun 6-7 years ago and they had been showing up automatically every stay since without any reminders. Since getting Diamond status - they usually had assigned me to 2018 (a junior suite) and often had my name preprinted on the shoe shine slip. However my last stay there under the Hyatt flag I requested a xx19 room (a different junior suite) and loved it. Note that reports in the Hyatt forum had indicated that Diamonds are routinely upgraded to a junior suite unless they're sold out.

I was in SF this past weekend and stayed there on Fri & Sat nights. Since I knew that there would be some bumps due to the changeover I called the property on Wed and requested that the upgrade be to an xx19 if possible. When I arrived on Friday they had assigned 2306 to me - this room is probably one of the best non-suites and sounds like paullevi's room which is an upgraded room. Rooms of this type include xx01 and xx06 and some xx12. From these annecdotal reports it seems like their practice is going to be upgrading Platinums only to these large rooms but not to the junior suites I politely but firmly asked if there were any xx19 available and that I had requested one. Was told that one was available but not cleaned but could be in about 45 min - which it was. However what they neglected to tell me was that 1419 was a business suite - walking into the suite was the bedroom (where normally the living room was) and where the bedroom usually is was an office setup. I'm not really upset about it because I'm sure they are still learning the property. However it doesn't seem like they are automatically upgrading Platinums to the junior suites (despite the terms of SPG Platinum) vs Hyatt doing so in the past even though suite upgrades are not the terms of HY Diamonds.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:49 pm

redacted

Last edited by shoodawg; Jan 14, 2009 at 7:46 pm
Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:57 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by shoodawg
...our 500 amenity points have not posted with the room points as usual. What should we do?
It depends upon how patient you want to be. A lot of the Le Meridien properties do not have proprietary in-house data systems that "talk" to ours. In cases like this, there can be a delay in the amenity points posting because they have to request a manual posting.

IMHO, if they haven't posted a week after the stay posting hits your account, they probably aren't going to - for whatever reason. Then I would simply call Platinum Concierge and ask for the manual posting on your own. You should see them a few days later.

Or, you could skip the wait and call Platinum Concierge now. Your choice.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:58 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by shoodawg
We had two rooms here over the 4th of July weekend, had to figuratively beg for our Platinum upgrade and our 500 amenity points have not posted with the room points as usual. What should we do?
Its disturbing to hear this since Hyatt used to routinely upgrade Diamonds to suites even though it wasn't part of the T&Cs of the GP program unlike *w Platinums. The missing 500 amenity points - just e-mail SPG through the link on their site - that's what I did and it showed up a few days later.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Stayed for one night this weekend on a Travelzoo promotional rate. Overall, we were happy with the property. Booked a deluxe room, city view with sitting area and that's what we got. I'm a lowly gold and requested an upgrade since we were in town celebrating my wife's birthday. No such luck (spg.com was showing it as sold out so no big surprise), but we were put on a high floor with a partial bay view--what I'd call a "preferred room," I guess.

The exterior of the hotel is drab and uninviting, but the interior was pretty sleek and updated. Room was spacious with comfy bed (Heavenly looking bedspread). Bath was clean and fresh looking and bath products were great.

Our rate included a $30 food and bev credit, but there was no mention of it when we checked in. I later inquired and got clarification on it, but it did not show up on the bill and it took a little computer magic by the FD agent to make it happen. We used the credit on breakfast which was clearly priced for someone travelling on the company's dime (our $30 got us 1 oatmeal, 1 toast, 1 bowl of rice krispies with banana, no bevs). Had we not had the credit, we wouldn't have even considered eating there. Parking was equally over-the-top at nearly $50 with tax (I know, I know...that's probably about standard for SF these days...).

Location is pretty good for a "business district" hotel. The immediate surroundings were very dead as one would expect on a weekend, but we were a short walk to the Ferry Building, Chinatown, and North Beach (which was great for World Cup Finals viewing on Sunday!).

I'd probably stay there again if they were running a good promo, though I like to mix it up so I'll probably stay elsewhere just for the sake of variety.

Question for regular guests at this prop: Was the pic of the ferry building on the SPG site actually taken from the hotel as the site states? Maybe it was just our room location, but the ferry building seems a lot further away than in the pic...
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Stayed there on July 1 for one night. Booked an internet only rate for a Classic room. Checked in at about 2pm and room was ready. Inquired about an upgrade at checkin and the clerk promptly offered me a Junior Suite (as a GOLD!) I asked him dimensions of room, etc and he said its slightly bigger than one of the deluxe rooms that I could also have. I needed two beds and the suites all only have one bed, so he put me into a Bay View room (with a spectacular view of the bay and Coit Tower) on the 24th floor. He said I could upgrade with points if I wanted to to a regular suite, but that Junior Suite was the max they give Golds for the comp upgrade (pretty nice IMHO, compared to most other Starwood hotels in the States). I asked him how many points for an upgrade to a regular suite and he said I would have to call SPG, because there system was not linked up. This is a little different than other SPG hotels I have been to (especially in Europe and Asia) where they can tell you right away or even have signs posted that will tell you the cost of various upgrades.

Stay was nice and the rooms are cool. Dont really care much for the sliding/non-lockable bathroom doors, but they are okay. Definitely will stay there agian!
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:00 pm

I stay in SF once a month or so. This week was my first chance to try the Meridien.

Overall, I was very happy with the property, especially compared to my previous night which was spent at the Palace.

They must have their Starwood kinks worked out. I was immediately asked if I wanted points as my amenity, and I had been upgraded to a "Studio Suite". I was happy with this as the property was showing no availability of any room type.

I didn't spend much time out of my room, so that's the only thing I can comment on. Overall, it was extremely comfortable and clean. Most importantly (compared to my previous night), it was blissfully quiet. My room service braised spare ribs were GREAT and promptly delivered.

My new order of preference for SF hotels is as follows:

1 - St. Regis (the CLEAR winner in my book)
2 - Meridien
3 - W
4 - Westin St. Francis
5 - Palace, which unfortunatly usually has the lowest rates with my corporate code and hence is my most frequent choice

As an interesting side note, my colleague (non platinum) was booked at the Palace. They sold out. They walked him to a cab where he was taken to the St. Regis and given a corner suite. And the whole thing was totally comped...he didn't pay $.01 for his stay.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
Not impressed

Stayed at this property last week of July, 2006. NOT impressed at all. As a Platinum member I usually get upgraded on the most of SPG properties but when I checked in I was given a choice of a lower floor King bed room or higher floor 2 twins. I was not impressed with the view, IMHO Westin's elevators have better view! Also, I told the check-in agent that I would take 500pt as Plat gift and she replied, "Of course Mr. NYCWahoo." Later, I found out thru SPG Plat desk that this property do not give out 500pts as a welcome gift for Plats. SPG Desk awarded me those pts anyway but overall not happy with Le Meridien SF
Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Originally Posted by NYCWahoo
Stayed at this property last week of July, 2006. NOT impressed at all. As a Platinum member I usually get upgraded on the most of SPG properties but when I checked in I was given a choice of a lower floor King bed room or higher floor 2 twins. I was not impressed with the view, IMHO Westin's elevators have better view! Also, I told the check-in agent that I would take 500pt as Plat gift and she replied, "Of course Mr. NYCWahoo." Later, I found out thru SPG Plat desk that this property do not give out 500pts as a welcome gift for Plats. SPG Desk awarded me those pts anyway but overall not happy with Le Meridien SF
Ouch! I'm supposed to stay here over Labor Day...considering alternatives now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.