Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wcj1
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for San Francisco. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
St Regis San Francisco
Ritz Carlton San Francisco

Full Service:
W Hotel San Francisco
JW Marriott Union Square San Francisco
San Francisco Marriott Union Square
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
Marriott SoMA Mission Bay [San Francisco]
[GONE] Park Central (was Westin Market Street) San Francisco (rebranded as Hyatt)
Westin St. Francis, San Francisco
Westin SFO San Francisco Airport
Palace Hotel, San Francisco
Le Meridien Hotel San Francisco
San Francisco Proper, Design Hotel
Adagio Hotel, Autograph Collection (San Francisco, CA)
[GONE] Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco (re-branded as Riu Plaza San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf as of 12NOV19 - see post 134 in thread)
AC Hotel San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Limited Service:
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave
Courtyard San Francisco Union Square
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Four Points by Sheraton SFO San Francisco Airport
aloft San Francisco Airport (Millbrae) SFO

Extended Stay:
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Timeshare:
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Francisco

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hi55us
I'd prefer to use it at a property with more perks for platinum members (mainly free breakfast).
Don't book the Marquis or JW for the breakfast - you'll get a standard US lounge breakfast (except at the JW on Sunday, where you will get nothing). Not exactly honeymoon material. The St. Regis or W would be a better choice if breakfast is a key consideration.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Will be there on 2 weekdays, so the quality of the lounge would also be another factor.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:27 pm

My wife and I are looking at spending 3-4 nights in June. Between Courtyard, Marriott and Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf, what is the collective wisdom as to the best place to stay?

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by CalVol
My wife and I are looking at spending 3-4 nights in June. Between Courtyard, Marriott and Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf, what is the collective wisdom as to the best place to stay?

Thanks!
The Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf was undergoing renovations when I was there last year. It should be done by now, but worth checking. It was a bit dated looking when I was there.

I like the San Francisco Marriott at Union Square as it's closer to Moscone for conferences as opposed to being at Fisherman's Wharf for the tourist activities.

I have not stayed at either of the Courtyards.
CalVol and Duke787 like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by CleverJesse
The Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf was undergoing renovations when I was there last year. It should be done by now, but worth checking. It was a bit dated looking when I was there.

I like the San Francisco Marriott at Union Square as it's closer to Moscone for conferences as opposed to being at Fisherman's Wharf for the tourist activities.

I have not stayed at either of the Courtyards.
I was at the Sheraton Fisherman’s wharf in November and don’t recall any renovations. I do recall the breakfast area and fitness center being minuscule relative to the size of the property and demand. I don’t think I managed to work out once the whole week and ended up going offsite for breakfast. The top-floor corner room I had was reasoanbly nice, however.

I’m not sure which Marriott is under consideration. I’ve never stayed at the Union Square property, but have stayed at the Marriott Marquis many times. It was under heavy renovation during my last stay (October, I think?). I certainly wouldn’t recommend that property to anyone until the work is done. It was very loud, dusty, and unsightly.
CalVol likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

Thanks!
Are you asking about just the FW locations of these hotels, or citywide? I've stayed at the Sheraton FW ages ago with kids, and the Marriott FW a few years ago just us (older couple now), and both were "fine", nothing special, nothing bad. Sometimes it's fun just to hang out at the wharf. If you go, don't miss the Musee Mechanique, filled with old carnival games, lots of throwback fun.
CalVol likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:30 am

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm just looking at FW area. My wife wants to stay there. So, just trying to see if there was a clear winner/loser with those properties
Old May 13, 2019, 12:32 pm

Thanks!
I haven't stayed at the FW Courtyard, but the FW Marriott doesn't have a lounge. Otherwise it's fine, pretty standard.

The sheraton has an "express lounge" which has coffee/tea/sodas/bottled water, and a pretty skimpy breakfast in the morning (hard boiled eggs, yogurt, granola, fruit, bread/pastries). They are pretty generous with the breakfast benefit, I got 4x full buffets for each day.

The Sheraton is being renovated, I was there in ... august? of 2018, and they implied that they would have a "real" lounge after renovations, but not sure how long that will take.

I personally like the Sheraton location more, but it's not a huge difference. Pretty easy walk to the alcatraz ferry, cable cars, etc. and embarcadero streetcars right out the front door. Safeway and trader joe's directly across the street. Tons of great north beach restaurants in walking distance.

Honestly, even when I'm in town for business I like this area. Not for every trip but it's definitely a change of pace from the union square area.
CalVol likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:44 pm

Thanks for bumping this thread, btw, a couple of new properties have shown up on the booking engine

Courtyard at Van Ness and Geary (currently The Opal), opening in June 2019

The courtyard at 2nd and Folsom is being rebranded as "The Clancy" autograph collection. I'm always leery of ACs that are new builds or just reflags of existing Marriott portfolio properties, this says it will be open January 2020.

Both of these properties are described as "downtown."
Old May 14, 2019, 3:05 pm

Have a pair of 50K certs to use for a weekend trip, wife has Titanium status so someplace with a hotel breakfast instead of points/closed lounge would be preferred. based on my reading, would it be correct to opt for the Le Meridien or one of the Autographs? Travelling as a family of 3 (with a 4 year old child)

Last edited by crimsona; May 14, 2019 at 3:22 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 3:31 pm

Le Meridien is a nice property, I believe it was originally a Park Hyatt. The financial district location isn't great for leisure trips but it does have the advantage of being very quiet at night. This property is also good with elite upgrades.

I have not been very impressed with the Adagio on the two visits I've had there. It's decent, average even. Location might be a bit better depending on your tolerance for the union square area crowds and tenderloin denizens, but even among the union square-area properties this is the furthest west (and hence, the most tenderloin-ish).

note: I can't speak to breakfast at either as I always take the points and just get coffee out in the city.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68

Courtyard at Van Ness and Geary (currently The Opal), opening in June 2019

The courtyard at 2nd and Folsom is being rebranded as "The Clancy" autograph collection. I'm always leery of ACs that are new builds or just reflags of existing Marriott portfolio properties, this says it will be open January 2020.

Both of these properties are described as "downtown."
Van Ness and Geary is definitely not downtown. Further, it isn't a very nice area.

2nd and Folsum is downtown - When I stayed at the Courtyard, they had recently plowed a ton of money into room renovations - and the room was very nice prompting me to think this is way to nice for a Courtyard.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by crimsona
Have a pair of 50K certs to use for a weekend trip, wife has Titanium status so someplace with a hotel breakfast instead of points/closed lounge would be preferred. based on my reading, would it be correct to opt for the Le Meridien or one of the Autographs?
I like LM (they are great with suite upgrades) but concur with WillBarrett_68 on location. It is relatively central, but pretty dead on weekends. The W would be my next choice.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
2nd and Folsum is downtown
That's not downtown. It's south of market.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not downtown. It's south of market.
it's more downtown than van ness/geary!
Old May 15, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
it's more downtown than van ness/geary!
I've been around long enough that "downtown" will always mean Union Square to me, not the financial district, and certainly not SOMA.

It's curious that Marriott would refer to either location as "downtown" since "South of Market" has more cachet these days. Meanwhile, that part of the Van Ness corridor is something of a tweener. Could be polk gulch, could be civic center. If they were selling condos, the realtors would probably call it lower nob hill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.