Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Marriott SkyCity Hong Kong

Was advised by reservations that 4pm late check-out would be noted but would be "subject to availability", DM'd MR twitter account and received below reply:

The late checkout benefit is guaranteed at all hotels, except at resort and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club is excluded from this benefit. At all other hotels, they are expected to do their best to honor your requested checkout time, up to 4:00PM. In the event that they can't, you would still receive a checkout past the normal time though. Thanks for your loyalty and I hope you enjoy your upcoming stay in Hong Kong!
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:05 pm

JW Marriott Esex House- A day before checkout requested 1:30, was given it without issue and even given new key cards.

I felt a little bad. the housekeeper for the floor was essentially standing around after 12 noon waiting for me to vacate. not sure if things would have been planned better for her had i requested it more days in advance but will try to do that going forward.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by yohy?!
Was advised by reservations that 4pm late check-out would be noted but would be "subject to availability", DM'd MR twitter account and received below reply:
And this is the crux of the issue that many were concerned with earlier in this thread.

How can they say with a straight face, "it's guaranteed...well I mean we'll do our best but we can't really guarantee it"?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Taipei Marriott- Stayed this year in June, August and November. All 3 times, the check-in agent advised that they could do 2:30 pm but to ask again on day of check-out for updated information. All 3 times, I got 4:00 pm late check-out (and on one visit, at 4 pm, I did get a call from the front desk as a reminder that I had to vacate my room, not a big deal).

Courtyard Taipei- Twice this year, also got 4:00 pm late check-out
Old Dec 20, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by swintec
JW Marriott Esex House- A day before checkout requested 1:30, was given it without issue and even given new key cards.

I felt a little bad. the housekeeper for the floor was essentially standing around after 12 noon waiting for me to vacate. not sure if things would have been planned better for her had i requested it more days in advance but will try to do that going forward.
Yeah, this is where the real battle is going to be fought, where the rubber meets the road.

You would think it shouldn't be a problem in a huge hotel like the JW to redeploy and keep her busy (perhaps union rules) but in a smaller rural Fairfield Inn on a Sunday after a college game, watch out.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Quote:
"The late checkout benefit is guaranteed at all hotels, except at resort and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club is excluded from this benefit. At all other hotels, they are expected to do their best to honor your requested checkout time, up to 4:00PM. In the event that they can't, you would still receive a checkout past the normal time though. Thanks for your loyalty and I hope you enjoy your upcoming stay in Hong Kong!"

In a world of fake news, here we have a fake guarantee.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:26 am
Suspended

its quite dishonest really, i get the impression that when they rolled this out they provided guidance to their staff on minimising use of this "guarantee" - ie only give it to elites who know the policy and push for it.

Guaranteed Late Checkout: Gold and Platinum members may check out as late as 4 p.m. This benefit is guaranteed at all hotels, except at resort and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club is excluded from this benefit.

No weasel words, no grey areas
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:14 pm
Suspended

More feedback from MR:

Those match the terms we provided. The terms state "as late as 4pm" in that the hotels can provide it up to 4pm, not that they are required to extend it until 4pm. The hotels excluded are the same hotels listed in the message to you. For details regarding late check-out, you may visit: http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/member-benefits/get-more-rewards/guaranteed-late-checkout-faq.mi
what the terms actually say:

Guaranteed Late Checkout: Gold and Platinum members may check out as late as 4 p.m. This benefit is guaranteed at all hotels, except at resort and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club is excluded from this benefit.
not asking for much here just that they honour the guarantee as stated in their own terms!
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, MR/RC Plat, KLM Plat, AS MVPG75K, UA Gold
More feedback from MR:

not asking for much here just that they honour the guarantee as stated in their own terms!
Wow I cannot believe this is still going on! I've always found Marriott customer service totally inept when dealing with any issue while on property-so I guess in that regard I'm not surprised
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
More feedback from MR:

So that first quote came from MR?

If so, that's exactly the fear many here had and in regards to your previous post, I still think the "as late as" phrase is certainly a "weasel word" as you call it.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hawaiiansports
JW Marriott Hong Kong 400PM, no problem.
Just finished my stay at JW Marriott Hong Kong. Requested and received 400PM late check-out without any issues.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by GoPhils
So that first quote came from MR?

If so, that's exactly the fear many here had and in regards to your previous post, I still think the "as late as" phrase is certainly a "weasel word" as you call it.
It is and I've said that from day one. Simply because its ambiguous as to who's option "as late as" it is, the customer or the hotel. It can be interpreted as either one depending on your point of view.

A few extra well placed words could clean that up - but they choose not to.
Electrons are cheap, college degrees necessary to work today yet it written that way likely on purpose.

Welcome to corporate doublespeak America today!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshua362
It is and I've said that from day one. Simply because its ambiguous as to who's option "as late as" it is, the customer or the hotel. It can be interpreted as either one depending on your point of view.

A few extra well placed words could clean that up - but they choose not to.
Electrons are cheap, college degrees necessary to work today yet it written that way likely on purpose.

Welcome to corporate doublespeak America today!
Got it sorted in the end - the hotel confirmed the 4pm would be honoured, loyalty lobby also confirmed with Marriott that 4pm is guaranteed as stated and I was given the wrong information by the MR reps.

Peace and goodwill to all.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
In almost 2,000 nights spent in hotels I can count on one hand the times I've requested a late check-out (and those few times, well before this latest guarantee, I've gotten it), so it's not a big issue for me. But the weaselly language really bothers me--Marriott either needs to make it a true guarantee, or get rid of it completely. "As late as..." makes the guarantee completely worthless, much like the vague definition of guaranteeing an upgrade to the best "available" room. I've always found Marriott to be a company that operates with integrity and respect for both its associates and customers, but these are examples that make me wonder if values are changing in the corporate HQ...
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:43 am

Got it sorted in the end - the hotel confirmed the 4pm would be honoured, loyalty lobby also confirmed with Marriott that 4pm is guaranteed as stated and I was given the wrong information by the MR reps.

Peace and goodwill to all.
That is great it worked out. It just shouldn't take a battle each time - for a chain that prides itself on consistency. They have a manual detailing standard procedures - down to the level of the correct way room service is to knock on the door.

Peace & Love to all...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.