Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Got my 4 pm checkout. Really don't like having to call in the morning of checkout to confirm, but I guess a confirmed 2 pm before and then 4 pm on day of is ok.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Tell them, firmly but politely, "4pm is a benefit I'm entitled to, so I will check-out at 4pm".

Need to get these properties in line.
Agreed with this approach. Don't ask permission, and don't ask for forgiveness for that matter.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Agreed with this approach. Don't ask permission, and don't ask for forgiveness for that matter.
Also perhaps with a print out of said benefit for their examination...
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hiima
Got my 4 pm checkout. Really don't like having to call in the morning of checkout to confirm, but I guess a confirmed 2 pm before and then 4 pm on day of is ok.
No, a 2pm before is NOT ok, not when the rule is 4pm, no ifs ands or buts (for non-resorts or CCs).

Gotta stand firm folks...
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:21 am

I have had mixed success with the late checkout. I find that not all of the front desk staff are aware of the 4 pm entitlement.

What has worked for me is to check in using the app on my phone and selecting a 4 pm checkout. Then when I get to the hotel, just confirm that with the front desk and they will make a note of it on the reservation. This is when I have had the entitlement discussion with the front desk - I just show them the benefit on my phone. Have not needed to check with front desk on morning of checkout.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the risk of cross-posting (this thread is more appropriate than the other one which popped up first on Google)....at the new Renaissance in NYC and was told by 2 different people to call day of departure (not even the day before) to see what happens
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by username
At the risk of cross-posting (this thread is more appropriate than the other one which popped up first on Google)....at the new Renaissance in NYC and was told by 2 different people to call day of departure (not even the day before) to see what happens
Please report this to MR. Maybe if the property gets fined for the call they will get in line quicker. I realize the property is a separate entity from MR, but if MR is going to write the rules then the property should step up and follow them or request an exclusion and post such on their webpages.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is NOT OK.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM, National EE, Avis PC, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, SPG PL
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Please report this to MR. Maybe if the property gets fined for the call they will get in line quicker. I realize the property is a separate entity from MR, but if MR is going to write the rules then the property should step up and follow them or request an exclusion and post such on their webpages.
MR backed the property I was at and gave me the impression that I was wasting their time with my call about it.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pivot_chart
MR backed the property I was at and gave me the impression that I was wasting their time with my call about it.
Typical first response, sorry to say. I find CSRs are very quick to support what has happened and not want to spend any time looking into how to fix it. Ever since the beancounters got their hands on things that just can't be measured, they have been trying to measure the value of good support. I have fought that fight many years and getting management to see the intrinsic value of a service takes a lot of work.

Don't give up. Keep reporting properties that are not living up to the program specs and remind them, THEY published the specs, you're not talking about just your expectations/desires. Maybe using Twitter or Marriott Insiders will get more metrics visible. And you have the option of posing on TripAdvisor where more people will see it and maybe also get better attention by the property.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The way I am reading the FAQ is that the "as late as 4 PM" part gives them the flexibility. 12:01 is a late checkout, right?

However, it seems the "ask the day of" or "ask the day before" is not acceptable since "opportunity to request late checkout earlier than the day of departure through voice reservations, the Marriott app or at the front desk during check-in".

On the other hand, you might get a later checkout as you ask closer to departure?

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...heckout-faq.mi

Have not had problem at any SPG hotels nor other Marriott hotels since this was introduced.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
The way I am reading the FAQ is that the "as late as 4 PM" part gives them the flexibility. 12:01 is a late checkout, right?

However, it seems the "ask the day of" or "ask the day before" is not acceptable since "opportunity to request late checkout earlier than the day of departure through voice reservations, the Marriott app or at the front desk during check-in".

On the other hand, you might get a later checkout as you ask closer to departure?

Have not had problem at any SPG hotels nor other Marriott hotels since this was introduced.
Hence the real root of the problem. Marriott Corporate wrote this either in a purposeful or negligent manner to cause confusion. I believe its been discussed above many times and different versions of the wording exist in different places.

Like a lawyer, one will believe the interpretation that is most beneficial to the situation.

Mr. Reluctant GM reads this and instructs the staff to give a hard time to the beneficiaries knowing he'll get away with it without some sort of enforcement penalties.

Mr. Kind GM reads this, notes it intentions and instructs the staff to accommodate.

You just haven't stayed in Mr. Reluctant GM's hotel yet, I would reckon...
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I really hope they have some kind of compensation for not getting late checkout when requested, like 5000 points even. That should entice GMs to get their story straight.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM, National EE, Avis PC, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, SPG PL
I really hope they have some kind of compensation for not getting late checkout when requested, like 5000 points even. That should entice GMs to get their story straight.
Thanks to the MR twitter account, I received a response earlier today from the hotel about my most recent issue with receiving a late checkout. Within the e-mail was a mention that they would be depositing 10k points in my account for the inconvenience.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

When they first introduced the benefit, they did it in a very weasel-y manor (which would suggest 12:01 qualified)...but they then clarified & strengthened it IIRC to be "guaranteed 4pm".

Lucky did a good take on it a few months back: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...late-checkout/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.