Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
JW Marriott in Chicago

Requested 4pm checkout when I did mobile check-in. Confirmed with the front desk, who didn't seem to have it listed but granted it with no problem.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by RogerD408

Repeated reports should get MRs attention.
Just to follow-up. After posting this on the Marriott Insiders thread, emailing the admin that talked with the hotel before, and following up to the email directly from the hotel, I've heard NOTHING from any of them in two weeks.

Again, this was a situation where the hotel didn't live up to the late checkout, Marriott said they talked to the hotel, upon my return for a second visit, I got no late checkout at all (not even a minute).

So, it appears that Marriott isn't really serious about the late checkout policy.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:35 am

Renaissance Harbour View Hongkong:
Asked for 4 PM, got 4 PM
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: LTP, PP
JW Marriott in San Francisco

JW Marriott in San Francisco - my first stay since the benefit was announced and forgot to mention it a check-in. During day 4, asked and received 4pm for the next day without a issue.

This was the one positive about this property otherwise it's nothing special for the price and JW designation. Stayed here 2 years ago and at least it's lounge was open weekends. Now they close it "to standardize it with other JW's". Other service issues as well...
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:13 am

Ritz Denver

Requested 4:00 and honored no questions asked. Was actually encouraged to use the club lounge all day. ^
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Ritz in Fort Lauderdale last weekend - was asked at check in whether we wanted a 4PM checkout on Sunday.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
JW Marriott Essex House (NYC)

Had a disappointing "guaranteed late checkout" experience this past week at the JW Essex House. Called the last night of a 3-night stay to ask for a 1pm checkout. Was told on the phone that I needed to call back after 7am on day of checkout to confirm availability. I pushed the issue and noted that that was not consistent with the Marriott guaranteed late checkout of 4pm of platinum. (and I noted that the policy was that I could request late checkout up to 4pm and I was only asking til 1pm, and that it could be requested at any time during the stay, whether at check-in, the night before, the day of, etc.). The response was simply to repeat the same (check back after 7am tomorrow). I held my ground, and asked if I was hearing this right, that the Essex House's policy was not consistent with Marriott policy. She refused to say that it was "inconsistent" and kept just repeating the same mantra. Eventually, she gave in and asked if I wanted her to check with the manager on duty. After (probably badmouthing me) a minute, she returned to the phone and said they night front desk manager had made arrangements for my 1pm late checkout, as if she was doing me a huge favor.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dcchi
Had a disappointing "guaranteed late checkout" experience this past week at the JW Essex House. Called the last night of a 3-night stay to ask for a 1pm checkout. Was told on the phone that I needed to call back after 7am on day of checkout to confirm availability. I pushed the issue and noted that that was not consistent with the Marriott guaranteed late checkout of 4pm of platinum. (and I noted that the policy was that I could request late checkout up to 4pm and I was only asking til 1pm, and that it could be requested at any time during the stay, whether at check-in, the night before, the day of, etc.). The response was simply to repeat the same (check back after 7am tomorrow). I held my ground, and asked if I was hearing this right, that the Essex House's policy was not consistent with Marriott policy. She refused to say that it was "inconsistent" and kept just repeating the same mantra. Eventually, she gave in and asked if I wanted her to check with the manager on duty. After (probably badmouthing me) a minute, she returned to the phone and said they night front desk manager had made arrangements for my 1pm late checkout, as if she was doing me a huge favor.
A suggestion if this should happen again, if the FDC is unable/willing to help, ask for a manager and speak with them directly. FDCs get limited training and do not have the authority to override property policy (which can greatly vary from MR program rules). And when you get to the manager, take names so you have facts should they fail to deliver.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I'm sure this had no influence on the annoying runaround you got but if I understand the letter of the law, the request has to be made at check-in, 3 days earlier!

Which is ridiculously stupid as everyone will simply start requesting 4pm at check-in whether its actually needed or not.

Contrast this to the SF JW where I forgot to request at check-in for a 5 night stay (we really needed it), I went down the day before and they couldn't have been nicer granting it.

I really think this is going to backfire somewhere down the road. A better policy would be requests must be made by 6pm the night before.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
JW Hong Kong

Stayed recently at the JW Hong Kong for one night. We were upgraded in advance to a suite; asked for a 4pm late check-out when we checked-in, and the desk staff said "that room has already been booked for tomorrow by someone else, so you will need to check-out at the usual time." I pointed out that there is an elite guarantee, and the staffer frowned at me, tapped away at his computer, and then said he could put us in a different (standard sized) room from 12 to 4. This wasn't great as we had to pack up earlier than we would have liked, but I figured it might have been due to the suite upgrade. The next morning when we went to the desk to ask them how we should switch rooms, we had to go through the same fuss, with a different staffer repeating that the suite had been booked by someone else and we needed to vacate, before getting around to finding us another room for the afternoon. I definitely had the impression that had I not specifically quoted the guaranteed benefit, they would not have provided the late check-out.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
JW Bangkok: 4:00 pm checkout was granted without issue or question.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Stayed recently at the JW Hong Kong for one night. We were upgraded in advance to a suite; asked for a 4pm late check-out when we checked-in, and the desk staff said "that room has already been booked for tomorrow by someone else, so you will need to check-out at the usual time." I pointed out that there is an elite guarantee, and the staffer frowned at me, tapped away at his computer, and then said he could put us in a different (standard sized) room from 12 to 4. This wasn't great as we had to pack up earlier than we would have liked, but I figured it might have been due to the suite upgrade. The next morning when we went to the desk to ask them how we should switch rooms, we had to go through the same fuss, with a different staffer repeating that the suite had been booked by someone else and we needed to vacate, before getting around to finding us another room for the afternoon. I definitely had the impression that had I not specifically quoted the guaranteed benefit, they would not have provided the late check-out.
Well at least they didn't downgrade you to a standard room in exchange for the late checkout. Late checkout is guaranteed. Upgrades are not. Actually I thought late check out isn't guaranteed either. Upon availability I thought was the word. Only Hyatt has the Guaranteed wording.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by joshua362
I'm sure this had no influence on the annoying runaround you got but if I understand the letter of the law, the request has to be made at check-in, 3 days earlier!

Which is ridiculously stupid as everyone will simply start requesting 4pm at check-in whether its actually needed or not.

Contrast this to the SF JW where I forgot to request at check-in for a 5 night stay (we really needed it), I went down the day before and they couldn't have been nicer granting it.

I really think this is going to backfire somewhere down the road. A better policy would be requests must be made by 6pm the night before.
Note that 6pm is earlier than check in for many people.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Well at least they didn't downgrade you to a standard room in exchange for the late checkout. Late checkout is guaranteed. Upgrades are not. Actually I thought late check out isn't guaranteed either. Upon availability I thought was the word. Only Hyatt has the Guaranteed wording.
NO. Starwood was always guaranteed except at resorts and convention center properties. At first Marriott wasn't guaranteed but now it seems to be.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO. Starwood was always guaranteed except at resorts and convention center properties. At first Marriott wasn't guaranteed but now it seems to be.
Where's the new writing for Marriott? I was recently only given up to 3pm max saying they are sold out of the hotel so I need to get out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.