Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I'm sure they were just hoping I was gone. But with DND on door, they just had to wait.
Do that many people leave the DND sign up after leaving for good? Seems like it'd be common courtesy to take it down and that housekeepers should assume a DND sign means someone is in there.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Do that many people leave the DND sign up after leaving for good? Seems like it'd be common courtesy to take it down and that housekeepers should assume a DND sign means someone is in there.
I can see it happening all the time by mistake / oversight / not caring.

Housekeeping is a delightful charm everyday except departure day when they become a royal PITA - usually banging their way through the hallways while you'd like to sleep off your final night's activities. Then its a stressful rush to dress, pack, catch a late breakfast, do last minute things while they are clamoring to get inside your door since its going to require a longer, deeper new guest cleaning.

So you put out the DND and forget while wheeling luggage hands full out or just don't see or just don't care.

I've left it out by mistake a few times after coming back to my room after a 7AM run to find the room already in mid cleaning at 8AM. So I've put out the DND only not to remember / see it on my way to work. And the room didn't get cleaned, I reckon they only care about barging in on the DND on departure day!
Old Nov 10, 2016, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
My experience with late checkout-4pm-at Marriott DC Metro Center was mixed.

Did online check in and requested 4pm.

Checked in yesterday. Clerk confirmed 4pm. Great!

For this stay, my wife is at a conference. I was able to work remote. So I joined her. Watched election returns last night. And worked in the room today.

1pm: steady knocking on the door. I am on a conf. call with clients. Door has DND hanging. I ignore until....the door is opened to see if I am there. I muted phone and told housekeeping manager that I had 4pm checkout and DND hanging. She was "just checking for departures" and didn't know I had 4pm. She pointed to her sheet-which said 4pm. ARGH.

PLEASE, DND until after the check out time!!!!!
I'm livid when something like this happens. Unfortunately, I'm starting to believe that the management of some hotels wants their housekeepers to behave this way, perhaps in the belief that if someone is disturbed often enough, they'll give up and vacate the room earlier in the day.

Always report these incidents to the assistant manager on duty. The DND sign should be respected by all staff, especially including housekeeping supervisors and managers because they're setting an example for housekeepers.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm livid when something like this happens. Unfortunately, I'm starting to believe that the management of some hotels wants their housekeepers to behave this way, perhaps in the belief that if someone is disturbed often enough, they'll give up and vacate the room earlier in the day.

Always report these incidents to the assistant manager on duty. The DND sign should be respected by all staff, especially including housekeeping supervisors and managers because they're setting an example for housekeepers.
The big push may be from the employee. Some properties pay piece-meal where they are paid per room and the sooner they can finish their assigned rooms the sooner they can move on to their next job. And given the number of people that do not take down the DND when leaving, I can understand them wanting to check the room. If I have to leave the room during the day when I have a late checkout, I put something (maybe luggage) blocking the path inside the room so they know I'm still there (hopefully not trip when they don't see it).

It's a mixed bag of responsibility. If housekeeping was paid a living wage then there would be much fewer issues having to rush out to a second/third job.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

reported at checkout. 1000 bonus MRP. I told my wife that will get us about 3 hours at a cat 1 hotel.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, UA GM, Hyatt Somethingist
NY EDITION: requested at check-in 11/14/16; denied before I could finish the word "late". [And my room wasn't ready for 3 hours after my arrival (and posted) check-in time of 1500.]
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by overshare
NY EDITION: requested at check-in 11/14/16; denied before I could finish the word "late". [And my room wasn't ready for 3 hours after my arrival (and posted) check-in time of 1500.]
Report it to Marriott.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Residence Inn Durham Research Triangle Park - requested 4PM and didn't give me any trouble (and was also upgraded to a 2 BR!).

Did get a knock at 12:01 but after saying I arranged a late checkout with the front desk they didn't come back (I stayed in there until just before 4 - actually saw a housekeeper later who apologized without me saying anything). Took a couple trips to pack the car and the key didn't work...FDC apologized but said something like "they all stop working around 12:00"

Overall very pleased with what I think was my first time using the new late checkout benefit.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:58 pm

San Diego Marriott Mission Valley - asked if late checkout was available while checking in and they immediately offered 4pm.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM, National EE, Avis PC, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, SPG PL
Originally Posted by pivot_chart
Thanks to the MR twitter account, I received a response earlier today from the hotel about my most recent issue with receiving a late checkout. Within the e-mail was a mention that they would be depositing 10k points in my account for the inconvenience.
The points never showed up in my account which leads me to assume no follow-up was done with the staff. Looking into the other options for escalation just out of principal now.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:53 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Renaissance Suites ORD - Requested and confirmed a 4PM checkout at checkin and it was put into the system as my keys still worked the afternoon of checkout. Brief "tap tap tap" (no accompanying annoucement) from the HK keycard and then immediate entry into the room (overriding the deadbolt) shortly after 8AM despite the 4PM checkout and a DND sign (luckily the latch stopped them)...

Management made sure that didn't reoccur when I had to check back in for a second night...
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by NDDomer86
Renaissance Suites ORD - Requested and confirmed a 4PM checkout at checkin and it was put into the system as my keys still worked the afternoon of checkout. Brief "tap tap tap" (no accompanying annoucement) from the HK keycard and then immediate entry into the room (overriding the deadbolt) shortly after 8AM despite the 4PM checkout and a DND sign (luckily the latch stopped them)...

Management made sure that didn't reoccur when I had to check back in for a second night...
A housekeeper shouldn't be able to enter when you've set the deadbolt, although security personnel or the manager on duty can do so in an emergency. I'd make a huge complaint about this lack of security.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Hotel Park City

2pm no problem, was upgraded to cottage / villa
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:56 pm

Tampa Marriott Waterside - 4pm, no questions asked.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Fairfield Inn Traverse City

Requested and received a 4pm checkout with no problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.